Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School not compled to take in disruptive student

• 10-07-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Interesting story: from http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0710/westmeath.html

School wins disruptive student appeal

A Westmeath school has won its appeal against a decision by the Department of Education which compelled it to enrol a disruptive student.

Mullingar Community College had asked the High Court to overturn the decision which it said allowed some schools to 'dump' difficult pupils on others.

The boy at the centre of this case was originally a pupil at St Mary's Christian Brothers School in Mullingar.

However, because of his behaviour there, the court heard that in May 2007 he had been told he would not be welcome back in September.

His parents sought then to enrol him in the local VEC school, Mullingar Community College, and when that school refused his application the parents appealed to the Department of Education.

The Department of Education said that the community college should enrol the boy but today, in a decision that could have far reaching consequences, the High Court said the department was wrong.

Westmeath VEC says it is 'absolutely delighted' with the decision.

It says this should help stop the practice of some schools cherry picking and 'dumping' difficult pupils on others

I'm not sure what happens the student now. Is his orignal school compelded to take him back? If no school wants to take him, then what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    If no school wants to take him, then what?

Read the Ryan report for ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Then the delightful little fecker can lay bricks for a living.
    Schooling is only a right to a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

All that dump and dumping talk makes me wanna take a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I'm not sure what happens the student now. Is his orignal school compelded to take him back? If no school wants to take him, then what?

Forget about him. Disruptive little ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Mossy Monk wrote: »

Agreed, why should the education of other children suffer because of one child's bad behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

About time the courts got a judgment right. Why should the school along with other students have to put up with a muppet like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

If no school wants to take him, then what?

I'm sure he's already chasing the dragon by now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You can't forget about him though. Then he just become another dole sponge later in life.

Wouldn't be such an issue if CP was still around. Whole other issue though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

While it would be great if life were that simple, sadly it is not.

I'm pretty sure the state has an obligation to provide an education in this instance. This kid could be as young as 13 - I guess we don't know. From the sounds of it has been making the lives of his teachers and fellow students very difficult. In that sense I have little doubt that the students in the school are better off not having him as a class mate and a greater good has been served.

However, without any education surely this guy is set for a life of crime thus causing us even greater problems in the future.

So whats the solution? Some sort of remand school for problem children? Not sure that is really en vouge at the moment as one poster has already alluded to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well that sucks. I've seen some right assholes get kicked out of our school in the past, and they ****ing deserved it. Especially the lad who did nothing but steal cellphones. How we kept him for that long, I will never know.

Fortunately, the law doesnt mandate education beyond JC. My last 3 years of secondary were absolutely pleasant by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

All that dump and dumping talk makes me wanna take a dump.

:eek::eek:

Jaysus!!

Steady horse.

(Horse out a good one!!):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

This is absolutely brilliant.

Finally a decision that protects the majority from the scummy minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

nah it ain't like that it only says the first school should have kept him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

nah it ain't like that it only says the first school should have kept him

So basically what it really means is that you can't expel students? Sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

no you can't dump him on another school

pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Imagine how rough the kid must be if a school in Mullingar won't take him?

Only thing for it: send him to Navan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You can't forget about him though. Then he just become another dole sponge later in life

Forcing him to sit in a building from 9-4 for 5 days a week, annoying kids that want to learn and dragging them down too isnt going to change that

Just fast track the little **** to the prison system.

Sooner we build a big fileing cabinet to hold as many prioners as we can the better, Drawers with a food hole and a poo chute is all a prison should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Well maybe if they killed someone,but all you can really do is ask them to leave and then hopefully they will feck off and go to youthreach.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Forcing him to sit in a building from 9-4 for 5 days a week, annoying kids that want to learn and dragging them down too isnt going to change that

Just fast track the little **** to the prison system.

Sooner we build a big fileing cabinet to hold as many prioners as we can the better, Drawers with a food hole and a poo chute is all a prison should be.

Still costs money though...
    I'm sure there's some menial job he can be put to work on...
    Or juvenile conscription may be the answer:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Or juvenile conscription may be the answer:pac:
    But how many more people do we need to stand outside banks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is an important decision. It means the vocational schools and community colleges will no longer be compelled to take disruptive students that the voluntary sector want to get rid of.
    About bloody time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You can't forget about him though. Then he just become another dole sponge later in life.
    Better to get one dole sponger, than enable him to disrupt other peoples schooling, and their career prospects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

While it would be great if life were that simple, sadly it is not.

I'm pretty sure the state has an obligation to provide an education in this instance. This kid could be as young as 13 - I guess we don't know. From the sounds of it has been making the lives of his teachers and fellow students very difficult. In that sense I have little doubt that the students in the school are better off not having him as a class mate and a greater good has been served.

However, without any education surely this guy is set for a life of crime thus causing us even greater problems in the future.

So whats the solution? Some sort of remand school for problem children? Not sure that is really en vouge at the moment as one poster has already alluded to.

The state under the constitution is only obliged to provide education up to the age of 12, believe it or not. Staying in school to the age of 16 is a whole other ball game.

I'm a teacher and I'm sick of seeing students come to school, do fcuk all except disrupt classes from one end of the day to the next, they don't want to be there but they're too lazy to work, and their parents are getting children's allowance for them while they're in full time education (as one student once pointed out to me). They can waste whole classes - you can't kick them out because if anything happens to them while they're unsupervised, you are responsible, prevent everyone from learning, and the minute there is a mention of suspension or expulsion mentioned, they're screaming about their right to an education. Which they couldn't care less about. Meanwhile everyone else suffers.

You can, but you have to have watertight school policies and you can guarantee that the student will nearly always appeal it. And of course demand their right to an education. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

They just mentioned this on the news and said he never got to sit his leaving cert, sounds like he was probably over 16 anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

That'll learn him...

Advertisement