Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is the recession discriminatory?

• 09-07-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

I have come to realise over the last few months that this recession of ours is decidedly unfair. Let's face it, the really poor people aren't hit at all really, in fact one could go further and argue that as the cost of goods tumbles, they are actually profiting at the expense of us working folks.

A rough calculation (on the back of a beermat) indicates to me that if you save your dole for 8 years you could now buy a nearly new mercedes s-class. Two years ago it would have taken you at leat 10 years. If you are now unemployed, you are two whole years better off than you were in the celtic tiger boom!

What measures do you think we should take, as a society, to punish those who, after all, have a guaranteed income for life and make sure that they share their burden of the pain?

To start, I propose a levy on Gaggia espresso machines to ensure that they don't fall into the wrong hands.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Long Onion wrote: »
    the really poor people aren't hit at all really,

I think it's quite difficult to impose Income Tax on a load of 20 cents dropped into a tattered old polystyrene coffee cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Let's face it, the really poor people aren't hit at all really

That's an unbelievably stupid thing to say, Mr Onion.

Are all "poor" people on the dole? What about single parent families where a mother is working part time to provide for her kids and still below the poverty line?

Also, the 'really poor' did not cause this recession. If anything it was caused by working class twats buying houses and cars that they can't afford and passing the burden on to people that were refused loans for stuff that they actually needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

if you save your dole for 8 years you could now buy a nearly new mercedes s-class. Two years ago it would have taken you at leat 10 years.

Who the feck is on the dole and then decides... mmmm i'm making a mint so i'se going to buy a nearly new merc in a few years ffs, are they not to bloody eat between now and then???? Merc's are not exactly a priority for those on the bread line..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

3/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

With the amount of skangers and scummers in my area a tax on tracksuits\hoodies\womens pjs would fill the government coffers right up!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Make Bono pay tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

You'd want to climb out of Willie O'Dea's tache fairly lively!!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

What measures do you think we should take, as a society, to punish those who, after all, have a guaranteed income for life and make sure that they share their burden of the pain?
    You mean civil servants.In fairness though,the dole is only €200 a week.Even the minimum wage is €349 a week if you work 39 hours a week,so you are a lot better off to work.your point on the mercedes is a bit stupid as well.are you saying that if someone spent no money on food,accomadation,domestic bills,clothes,going out then they could buy a merc after just 8 years.they could also do this if they got a decent job and saved a bit.The difference being that they wouldn't die of starvation trying to save the money.Also goods now cost less for everyone,not just the unemployed so it is unfair to say that they are benefiting from the recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

You're joking right? You honestly think these people deserve more problems? There are actually people on the dole who do need it mate, if you don't want to admit that to yourself then fine but try your best not to imbarrass yourself with such comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

I propose lowering the dole by increments of 25c cent per week until we just reach just before the point whereby the great unwashed rise up, run riot and tear this country apart.

I predict this process to take 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

sounds like the resentful talk of somebody who gets less pocket money since daddy took a paycut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Make Bono pay everyone's tax

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Okay, I suppose i'd better clear up a few points:

Firstly, I accept that not all poor people are on the dole, apparently there are a few hanging around outside Dr Quirky's in business suits whilst others are now stealing jobs from Polish Builders.

Secondly, the homeless have not been fortunate enough to benefit from falling mortgage interest rates but then again, they have been largely untouched by recent rises in home heating oil - swings & roundabouts really.

Okay, I suppose i'd better clear up a few points:

Firstly, I accept that not all poor people are on the dole, apparently there are a few hanging around outside Dr Quirky's in business suits whilst others are now stealing jobs from Polish Builders.

Secondly, the homeless have not been fortunate enough to benefit from falling mortgage interest rates but then again, they have been largely untouched by recent rises in home heating oil - swings & roundabouts really.

remember people, attack the post, not the stupid fcuk who wrote it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

hiya mate what recession heheheheh still collect dole every week+ have cAR parked outside with my name n number on it heheahahahohho hey anybody need floors put down kitchens fitted houses painted hehehehehehehe too bad im not allowed drive any more hohohohohoheheheheehehehehahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

genericguy wrote: »

Careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

genericguy wrote: »

Are you fully poor or just mostly poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

That post was poor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Things haven't been going well since we started paying peasants to lay about. Social welfare should be enough for ekeing out a spartan existance temporarily until employment is gained. This over-generous payment to socially unfit people simply encourages them to breed beyond their means and causes all kinds of problems for us.

Is social cleansing or sterilisation being discussed yet? I've been touting the idea for some time now.... I think it'll gain in popularity over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Something that really bugs the bejebus out of me is that myself & my partner both work our arses off and are still struggling to make ends meet then one of his lovely relatives came to visit on Sunday & were bragging about buying this that & the other...a few stomach churners were:
    She said that they are planning on buying a house cause her brother was near killed,is due a claim & he is throwing them a few quid.
    Then after saying her little spoilt brat of a kid has every game console known to man but doesnt play with them, she picks my sons DSi off the table & says to her little fella 'oh you dont have one of these, If you play with it Ill get you one'.
    Miss moneybags never worked a day in her life, she stays at home with the kids while her OH goes out to work & earns a fairly ok wage, she gets lone parent payments for the two kids, they get rent allowance & whatever other benefits are available. Then she has the audacity to talk about buying houses & using money that her brother nearly died to get & saving up her loan parents to buy a house. Only for they are related to the OH I would have lifted her out of it, how dare she come into my home after Ive just finished work & talk about spending money like she worked hard for It.

Grrrrrr, YES I may be begrudging but there are genuine people out there that need the money she is getting & It makes me physically ill to have to listen to that shyte.
    Rant over...sorry:o

Just to add....my OH was made redundant in December claimed SW for about 6 weeks, found a job that pays less that what he got on SW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

You mean like the 'celtic tiger' was discrimatory?!!

The dole in UK is about 30pound a week
    Here its 200euro - job seekers only

The reason we are in recession is due to overall global factors
    The reason we will stay in recession longer is due to the government
    ahem , we cannot tax ourselves out of a recession
    nor can we spend our way out of one

Please go back to the drawing board (beer mat)

nope, i'm not poor at all. your argument really is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

LouOB wrote: »
    You mean like the 'celtic tiger' was discrimatory?!!

The dole in UK is about 30pound a week
    Here its 200euro - job seekers only

Hi
    dole in UK is £64.50 / wk. Still cant live on that though :(
    (JSA and JSB in the UK pay the the same rate max rate)

Fran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Actually there is a piont here , but very badly put.

The recession has hit risk takers or forward thinking people who most should be.

If You brought a decent car, the recession hit you as the payments are at 2006 prices and the value at 2009

If you brought a house , you are taking one royally

If you brought shares ,,,

However if you did the following

Lived in a council property ,had a steady state funded job, and basically let life happen. Chances are times are not good but they are no worse. However chances are everything was hitting you in the pocket during the boom years so basically the cup has come back to you.

The recession is discriminatory , but so was the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The dole should be on sliding scale; the longer you're on it the less you get.

It's not fair to cut payments on those that lost their jobs and have tried to get work but anyone that sits on their ass and doesn't or has never tried to get a job should get a reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Make Bono pay tax

Why would you tax someone that doesn't live in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

TheZohan wrote: »
    The dole should be on sliding scale; the longer you're on it the less you get.

It's not fair to cut payments on those that lost their jobs and have tried to get work but anyone that sits on their ass and doesn't or has never tried to get a job should get a reduction.

i wouldnt be over sympathetic to many new entrants on the dole , most of the new entrants are construction workers who had ten golden years and surely they should have some savings set aside to see them through the bad times , just because you lost your job yesterday doesnt mean your poor today and completley reliant on the states support and if you are then you obviously over spent and shouldnt now be asking to tax payer to bail you out , in america its called dipping into your savings , a bricke on 50 k a year for the last ten should not be in anyway vulnerable right now

Advertisement