Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Laptop

Options
  • 27-09-2007 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I want to buy a new laptop, my primary concern this time round is weight. I want something that doesn't feel like a sack of spuds on my back. Also want reasonable power and battery life.

15.4 screen
    dual core
    2gb ram
    dvd rw
    lan / built in wireless etc
    sound etc

any suggestions ?
    Looking at the shopping sites such as Dell, Elara etc, its very hard to determine weight info and compare it.

Many thanks

k

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I would suggest moving this to the laptop forum. You will get better advice there. This forum is mainly used for pc upgrades and building.

But, dell do some very good deals atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Well you're not going to get anything super light if you go with a 15" screen. I got a Dell Vostro 1500, and it is heavy enough... My boss has a 1400 (14" screen) and the weight difference is noticeable...

But ya, you may want to consider dropping screen size a bit, and check out the Dell Vostros, great price at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

good advice there, I wouldn't really mind droppping the screen size a little.
    The problem I have with Dell is that there is no way to examine the product with regard to weight and they dont give any info on the weights of latops on the site (or do they) ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They do give the weight or at least they did when I bought my 17" from them. I would definitely go with the dell vostro's as they are meant to be great laptops and are very cheap at the moment. What is you budget for this Kieran?

If you have a load of money to spare you may want to take a look at the dell xps m1330 and the one that is being discussed here. While it is pricey, you are getting what you pay for and I would say that it would be lighter and have better battery life than most 13" laptops

cheers Con

do you think going from a 15.4" to a 13" screen would be a big loss? bear in mind the screen hungry visual studio etc etc

another huge problem s that it only has 2 usb ports. I regularly ue more than 2 at the same time. Dont want to start messing with usb hubs etc
    also, no internal modem, while i would rarely use one, it expect it as an absolute base entry level device in any laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

KStaford wrote:
    cheers Con

do you think going from a 15.4" to a 13" screen would be a big loss? bear in mind the screen hungry visual studio etc etc

That's the one thing I would worry about. You can never get enough screen real estate with something like visual studio.
    You could always take a trip to pc world and try out some of the different laptop sizes they have there and see which size and weight combination works for you. Don't buy there though.

KStaford wrote:
    another huge problem s that it only has 2 usb ports. I regularly ue more than 2 at the same time. Dont want to start messing with usb hubs etc
    also, no internal modem, while i would rarely use one, it expect it as an absolute base entry level device in any laptop.

That is the problem with small and light. You trade some functionality for it. I wonder what the keyboard is like also.

if they had a mid range version of this

i.e. 15.4", decent ports etc, I'd buy one. as it is I have no real choice, either go with 13" or 17". seems crazy

KStaford wrote:
    if they had a mid range version of this

i.e. 15.4", decent ports etc, I'd buy one. as it is I have no real choice, either go with 13" or 17". seems crazy

They have a 14" vostro. The only reason I suggested that xps is because it is really small and light.

anyone rate the Latitudes ?

this for esample -

Dell LatitudeTM D630
    Value Code - IEBSDONL-L10632

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

nice one catalyst, thanks

Advertisement