Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(apologies if this is a duplicate thread) Explorer.exe crashing/not running

Options
  • 29-10-2007 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests Mr. Eejit here installs PowerISO reboots and his machine starts f*ckin up to no end! :D

Symptoms: machine boots ok, when desktop loads up it appears for a second before disappearing. Task Manager works fine, but when i try to run explorer the desktop will only briefly load and disappear again. Wont even run 'C:' (cannot be found)

I've updated my AVG spyware and antivirus, and ran scans which picked up nothing!

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp....blub blub blub blub :D

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Boot into safe mode, remove PowerIso, install different but similar program

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

F8
    safe mode
    system restore

or tell us what version of windows you are using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

thanks guys. running xp pro SP1.

yeah, i already had magicISO installed on the machine, but doubt that it would cause any issues. i did manage to get in to C and delete the program files and uninstall it (before it got worse.....and i couldnt open explorer at all!)

EDIT : erm, nope didnt work. i try to boot to safe mode and i get as far as the logon before the machine reboots.

tried to restore from last known good, and that didnt do much either!

van dammit!

any other ideas, without having to reinstall xp? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

chin_grin wrote: »
    thanks guys. running xp pro SP1.

yeah, i already had magicISO installed on the machine, but doubt that it would cause any issues. i did manage to get in to C and delete the program files and uninstall it (before it got worse.....and i couldnt open explorer at all!)

EDIT : erm, nope didnt work. i try to boot to safe mode and i get as far as the logon before the machine reboots.

tried to restore from last known good, and that didnt do much either!

van dammit!

any other ideas, without having to reinstall xp? :(

install service pack 2 maybe from microsoft

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Last known good would not work, it just rolls you back to the last time you could logon to the desktop even if it was for just a second.

Try safe mode

[advanced topic - don't try if not sure - this is only to get you into windows safe mode so you can do a system restore ]

If windows won't start then get a linux live CD, knoppix or ubuntu , the latest versions allow you to write to NTFS, or put the drive in as a slave in another windows 2000/XP machine

search in the "system volume information" folder for registry files like software etc. from before the problem and copy them to the config folder. they will have long filenames based on when they were backed up

it's a bit like this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 but you can drag an drop and searh sysvol

These are the files you want to restore - backup them first in case you go for an in place upgrade later on
    c:\windows\system32\config\software
    c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    c:\windows\system32\config\security
    c:\windows\system32\config\default

• Advertisement
Advertisement