Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chevron training.

Options
  • 14-10-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I am considering a career change I have been in construction for 20 years and am handy with all trades was as nagger for 10 years. I would like to up skill to become either a "gas boiler service engineer" or an "oil boiler service engineer" I have looked around and chevron seem to be good what do you guys think ?
    My understanding from reading their site is that if I do the introduction course and then the gas boiler course I can become a proper RGI installer courses are €800 and €1500 respectively. It seems if I can prove I have an aptitude for the oil boiler servicing I can go straight in a do the course ?
    I am not interested in fitting boilers or oil tanks etc I just want to service them any advice would be appreciated.
    PS: I noticed someone on groupon was offering a gas boiler service for approx €40 for 45 mins and inspection. My understanding is that a gas boiler service should take 60-90 mins is that correct.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Big Davey wrote: »
    I am considering a career change I have been in construction for 20 years and am handy with all trades was as nagger for 10 years. I would like to up skill to become either a "gas boiler service engineer" or an "oil boiler service engineer" I have looked around and chevron seem to be good what do you guys think ?
    My understanding from reading their site is that if I do the introduction course and then the gas boiler course I can become a proper RGI installer courses are €800 and €1500 respectively. It seems if I can prove I have an aptitude for the oil boiler servicing I can go straight in a do the course ?
    I am not interested in fitting boilers or oil tanks etc I just want to service them any advice would be appreciated.
    PS: I noticed someone on groupon was offering a gas boiler service for approx €40 for 45 mins and inspection. My understanding is that a gas boiler service should take 60-90 mins is that correct.

I thought the CER came down on the training schools with regards to entry requirments, ie for the GIS and GID you need a FETAC trade cert in Plumbing, Sparks or Fitter.
    The OFTEC is different, If you have none of the above there is a competency test before you can go on.

Before if you done the OFTEC you could do the GID through the back door but that route has been closed thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

JohnnieK wrote: »
    I thought the CER came down on the training schools with regards to entry requirments, ie for the GIS and GID you need a FETAC trade cert in Plumbing, Sparks or Fitter.
    The OFTEC is different, If you have none of the above there is a competency test before you can go on.

Before if you done the OFTEC you could do the GID through the back door but that route has been closed thankfully.
    What's oftec ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

You will not be touching gas.

Do you realise what other expense you will have after completing an Oftec course and you will be inspected to be sure your competent.

You will not be touching gas.

Do you realise what other expense you will have after completing an Oftec course and you will be inspected to be sure your competent.
    Why will I not be touching gas ? I don't mind what expenses I have after completing an oftec I look at people I know putting 5k-10k into small businesses the money is not a problem and passing any course I am given is not a problem either. Are uk qualifications accepted here ? I might see what the uk has to offer.

Why will I not be touching gas ? I don't mind what expenses I have after completing an oftec I look at people I know putting 5k-10k into small businesses the money is not a problem and passing any course I am given is not a problem either. Are uk qualifications accepted here ? I might see what the uk has to offer.

Johnnie already explained why you wont be touching gas.

As far as expences are concerned what i am saying is its not simply a case of doing the course and making a pile of money, there are a lot of expences involved and unless you end up being able and competent to do the job then your just throwing money away because you just wont progress.

• Advertisement

Johnnie already explained why you wont be touching gas.

As far as expences are concerned what i am saying is its not simply a case of doing the course and making a pile of money, there are a lot of expences involved and unless you end up being able and competent to do the job then your just throwing money away because you just wont progress.
    Doing the job will not be a problem. I will look into fetac courses and have a look abroad also there has to be a way in without doing 4 years as a plumber or sparks. Most plumbers I have met have been donkeys so if that is what is being trusted to service boilers etc it doesn't say much. No offence. How long is the shortest fetac course lads or do you know ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

You could check out this website www.metac.ie or ring them on 057 8756540.The course your looking for is OFT50,OFT101,OFT105,OFT600a oil course.This course in metac is 10 days and its alot more detailed than cheveron with alot more hand on practical training on oil boilers.As far as i know with metac the door is still open to do the gas GID and GIS if you pass the oftec course.Its still advertised on their website that if you pass the oftec oil course you can go forward and do the gas courses.Its worth giving them a ring,they are very helpfull.

agusta wrote: »
    You could check out this website www.metac.ie or ring them on 057 8756540.The course your looking for is OFT50,OFT101,OFT105,OFT600a oil course.This course in metac is 10 days and its alot more detailed than cheveron with alot more hand on practical training on oil boilers.As far as i know with metac the door is still open to do the gas GID and GIS if you pass the oftec course.Its still advertised on their website that if you pass the oftec oil course you can go forward and do the gas courses.Its worth giving them a ring,they are very helpfull.
    Thank you very very much. I will contact them.

agusta wrote: »

Well it shouldn't be, they would be in breach of the CER and will incur big fines.

Doing the job will not be a problem. I will look into fetac courses and have a look abroad also there has to be a way in without doing 4 years as a plumber or sparks. Most plumbers I have met have been donkeys so if that is what is being trusted to service boilers etc it doesn't say much. No offence. How long is the shortest fetac course lads or do you know ?
    Thanks

There are all sorts of Donkeys out there, the problem lies with the regulation and inspection system.

FETAC certs are awaeded after succesfull completion of an apprenticship. (4 years)
    I think there is a 12 month course availible in the UK.

• Advertisement

Well it shouldn't be, they would be in breach of the CER and will incur big fines.
    You are very keen not to let people into your "club" Johnny. I served a four year apprenticeship in painting and decorating got my city and guilds and craft certificates I wish now it was a different trade but that's life. Lots of people are now in Ireland working as carpenters, tillers, brickies, painters and served no apprenticeship is that fair ? I am looking to re skill myself and am prepared to pay from my own pocket to do so should I not get a chance in your opinion. Could you give me more info on the governing bodies or whatever it is that you keep quoting.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You must have OFTEC & GIS completed & GID completed before 31st Dec 2013 to register before the new rules kick in with RGII/CER.

The last course that would have got you in has already been ran, so therefore the gas route has now been closed for non associated trades.

UK is a 6 month full time course & 6 month apprenticeship so 12 months in total. If you are a UK resident & qualify under their T & C's you can borrow the course costs & repay onc you commence working. You will be required to find a UK company to sponsor your apprenticeship there. The UK process is many times tougher than the Irish system but a more rewarding one.

Well fxxk it anyway.

shane0007 wrote: »
    You must have OFTEC & GIS completed & GID

completed before 31st Dec 2013 to register before the new rules kick in with RGII/CER.

The last course that would have got you in has already been ran, so therefore the gas route has now been closed for non associated trades.

UK is a 6 month full time course & 6 month apprenticeship so 12 months in total. If you are a UK resident & qualify under their T & C's you can borrow the course costs & repay onc you commence working. You will be required to find a UK company to sponsor your apprenticeship there. The UK process is many times tougher than the Irish system but a more rewarding one.

You are very keen not to let people into your "club" Johnny. I served a four year apprenticeship in painting and decorating got my city and guilds and craft certificates I wish now it was a different trade but that's life. Lots of people are now in Ireland working as carpenters, tillers, brickies, painters and served no apprenticeship is that fair ? I am looking to re skill myself and am prepared to pay from my own pocket to do so should I not get a chance in your opinion. Could you give me more info on the governing bodies or whatever it is that you keep quoting.
    Thanks

Unfortunately Davey it's not my club. The difference between your trade and mine is that there is at least some sort of a regulation in regards to gas in place.

I admire you actually for taking the plunge and upskilling and you seem to be prepared to do it right.
    I'm just trying to put the facts in front of you.

Unfortunately there are a lot of chancers in my trade too who should not be allowed to turn there boiler on never mind service someone elses. You seem to want to put the effort in so I wouldn't put you in that category and I apologize if you thought I was hostile towards you.

The CER is the commision for energy regulation and they call the shots with RGII policing it for them.

As I said there is a course in the UK that is recognised here. A user called gary71 would know which one I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

The other option is do the oftec oil course and if you just focus on oil boiler servicing.

Thanks I am sorry if I was snappy with you but after 20 years basically on my hands and knees I finally found something that I really fancy doing and it seems I can't now. I am still interested in the oil boiler course too so hopefully something might break there for me. Thanks for the advice very appreciated.

Unfortunately Davey it's not my club. The difference between your trade and mine is that there is at least some sort of a regulation in regards to gas in place.

I admire you actually for taking the plunge and upskilling and you seem to be prepared to do it right.
    I'm just trying to put the facts in front of you.

Unfortunately there are a lot of chancers in my trade too who should not be allowed to turn there boiler on never mind service someone elses. You seem to want to put the effort in so I wouldn't put you in that category and I apologize if you thought I was hostile towards you.

The CER is the commision for energy regulation and they call the shots with RGII policing it for them.

As I said there is a course in the UK that is recognised here. A user called gary71 would know which one I'm talking about.

Thanks I am sorry if I was snappy with you but after 20 years basically on my hands and knees I finally found something that I really fancy doing and it seems I can't now. I am still interested in the oil boiler course too so hopefully something might break there for me. Thanks for the advice very appreciated.

Plenty of room for a good oil service engineer willing to put in the effort, you will though still be on your hand and knees :D

Plenty of room for a good oil service engineer willing to put in the effort, you will though still be on your hand and knees :D
    Once your behind me I don't mind lol

Best of luck for the future and deffinatly look into the OFTEC. There is still a lot of oil out there.

It's a very interesting course I done it myself and got my Blueflame but never registered with OFTEC.

I wouldn't bend down in front of him;)

• Advertisement

Is the fitting of solid fuel stoves regulated at all ? I am just curious as a badly fitted stove could omit carbon monoxide the same as an oil or gas boiler. Just curious really.

Thanks to all who helped me out tonight very appreciated gonna catch some zzzzzzzzzzzzzz now.

Not sure if Billy is that way inclined but then again, he has been seen dancing provatively with another man in speedos! He even posted the video of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Is the fitting of solid fuel stoves regulated at all ? I am just curious as a badly fitted stove could omit carbon monoxide the same as an oil or gas boiler. Just curious really.

There are courses available in stove fitting to hetas standard.Hetas is the uk regulatory body.
    Check out oriel flues they run the courses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

Not sure if Billy is that way inclined but then again, he has been seen dancing provatively with another man in speedos! He even posted the video of it.

oh jaysus shane i was just about to have a big feckin slice of apple tart appetite gone for some reason :eek::eek::eek:

I been searching Boards for the video but unsuccessfully. I wanted to split my sides again!

jimf wrote: »
    oh jaysus shane i was just about to have a big feckin slice of apple tart appetite gone for some reason :eek::eek::eek:

He's only sour because he has very little to get into a pair of speedos. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

He's only sour because he has very little to get into a pair of speedos. :p

i fcukin knew somebody was watching me from a distance

but the sad thing is your feckin spot on :o

• Advertisement

Hehe....
    Found it.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sq_-JV4OZ8[/QUOTE]