Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin vs phone

Options
  • 06-06-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

I am a delivery driver . I use the Garmin Nuvi 50 nine hours a day.

I love the whole interface and usability of the system.

My problem is the mapping faults. Everyday I end up having to use my phone. Sometimes to find whole estates near Dublin. I report these faults to garmin but they never make it into the next update.
    Example .. Blackthorn Hill Drive, Rathcoole I'm driving in a field .

My question is. Is there a dedicated Google map drivers GPS system on the market? Something with a 5" screen and functionality of Garmin( but without the map issues) They seem to be lightyears ahead of Garmin .

Something also that can retain map info without internet.

I am aware that a Data signal is required but data is cheap these days and coverage is good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So your question is "Is there a Google map GPS system, but stand-alone unit"?
    The answer is no but you can integrate GM with Garmin:
    Using Google Maps with your Garmin GPS Device
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_p1x-fL2zc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Thanks . Thats interesting.

Im still using the garmin but also use the Galaxy s3 for when im stuck. The Phone is the one to get me to tricky spots . Even using it side by side with the Garmin, its light years ahead with road detail as well as location finding and mis spezings.

I am also reporting map errors to garmin. Loads of them. the place Blackthorn Hill Drive in rathcoole was recently added in the last update . They are listening and sending the info to Navteq I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could try using Waze on the phone too. It will require a data connection but is is fairly good and worth a look imo.
    www.waze.com

I was trying to use the google maps to garmin.

The link posted was way out of date. The tabs shown dont exist anymore on google maps.

So . I checked for new ways to do it.

Seems you have to use a program called tyretomap then export it to Garmin base camp to check it and then to you device.

The problem is that google has spot on accurate maps while garmins don't.

This is where is really show how sh2t garmin is.

Once you copy the actual waypoints from google onto garmin, the garmin craps itself and loops you around in circles trying to get you in the right direction again.
    Im going to France on my hols soon. So I plotted a route and tried to tranfer it to my Nuvi. It has me running around in circles.

So I guess the system has compatibility, but garmin maps are stone age in accuracy . Result . does not work im afraid. I have been at it ages here and it just to much hassle.
    Cheak this link. The guy wants to run around a park and has to delete several waypoints. I have a 3 hour drive and over 300 waypoints to delete.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPvV_c1M8yc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,431 ✭✭✭✭Alun

brokenarms wrote: »
    Example .. Blackthorn Hill Drive, Rathcoole I'm driving in a field .
    This is actually on the latest maps 2014.10.

There will always be a delay between reporting faults to Navteq and them appearing on the maps, often at least 2 releases, but they do listen. By the way, that same road, while it is shown physically on Google Maps, is not named, so Google Maps isn't perfect either unfortunately. It's also present but not named on OSi's map viewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,786 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have bought a Nokia 720 to double as a GPS device. Nokia have the best phone based maps and navigation solution, IMO. Most other phone based solutions don't enable you to use their navigation features off-line without a data connection, Nokia does. Also, the map updates are free.

wp_ss_20130_zpsc5921c9b.jpg

Alun wrote: »
    This is actually on the latest maps 2014.10.

There will always be a delay between reporting faults to Navteq and them appearing on the maps, often at least 2 releases, but they do listen. By the way, that same road, while it is shown physically on Google Maps, is not named, so Google Maps isn't perfect either unfortunately. It's also present but not named on OSi's map viewer.

Yes. .. I reported it to Garmin and they put it in along with a few others I sent in.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Buy a cheap phablet (phone tablet) like an old Galaxy Note and throw a 20-euro-a-month Three sim in to with ("unlimited" data).

Voila. 5 inch Google maps device.
    Heck you could even forgo the SIM if you use an offline map app.

Don't be tempted to use a cheap Chinese tablet. Most don't have a built in GPS. I've had some great experiences with cheap Chinese phablets too, but the GPS is always one of those things they never nail properly. Get a Note (or similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

One thing that really really bugs me is the way Irish/Gaelic street names/places are appearing on google and garmin maps

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

eirman wrote: »
    One thing that really really bugs me is the way Irish/Gaelic street names/places are appearing on google and garmin maps

Tell me about it. Having a hell of a job getting them all off TomTom (Tele Atlas maps)

• Advertisement
Advertisement