Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How is Brown Thomas doing in the recession?

• 30-11-2010 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Was in town at the weekend and the 2 most common bags i saw were Pennneys and Brown Thomas bags which i was bit surprised at

Only times ive ever bought in there is when ud get a 10 or 20 euro gift and ud buy a make up or smelly item if it wasnt very dear

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

bt shoppers are generally recession proof. Rich people in long term high paying jobs.
    USed to hate getting a voucher there for christmas. Oh, 20 euro. thanks. Now i can buy one sock :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I was waiting out Brown Thomas for someone and in that 20 min i was shocked by the amount of big bags coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The principle "you get what you pay for" is often overlooked, but the quality you can get on certain items by spending a bit more pays for itself in the end in terms of durability, fitness for task etc.

There's also obv the element of snob value for rich people, but together I think those two things will keep a place like BTs going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There have been serious cutbacks in Todds (c'mon!) - I was in there yesterday and some of the Counter Girls were only half sprayed orange.

- Any more rumours about it closing down? Would be nice to have another Multi-story Carpark in Town, and the exterior already looks like a 1950's Soviet Abattoir as it is.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The principle "you get what you pay for" is often overlooked, but the quality you can get on certain items by spending a bit more pays for itself in the end in terms of durability, fitness for task etc.

There's also obv the element of snob value for rich people, but together I think those two things will keep a place like BTs going.

It was actually funny the way alot of the female shoppers coming out carried their shopping bags could someone want a pic on google images kinda posh way of holding shopping bags

• Advertisement

Cynics FTL imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A big fancy dressing room for me. Buy online at home afterwards. :D

Bought a Ralph Lauren Jacket in BT's 4 years ago. Still looks in very very good condition. Bought a jacket in Pennys last Winter and its fraying quite a bit already. I have spent more in Dry Cleaning the thing than it would have cost to buy a wardrobe full of them. :mad: :D

You get what you pay for.

Frankly, my missus works in a place selling Kitchens and today they sold yet another kitchen for €15,000. 16th kitchen over €10,000 this month alone FFS.

Some people will always have money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Berty wrote: »
    Some people will always have money.
    ...Until they don't - then they want a NAMA for the 'people' (i.e. themselves) :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

BT sells loads of makeup brands that you can't get anywhere else in Limerick, so if that's your brand, then you're gonna go there :) Most makeup products cost less than €50, so it's an affordable treat.

Also they have more affordable clothing brands like Lipsy, Mango etc. so it's not all Hugo Boss and Dolce & Gabanna being bought in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Hmmm, must pop into Todds at the weekend and drop a couple of thou on things people like me can afford :smug:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Heard lately that BT's staff have been put on protective notice so dont know if you can believe all that your seeing in town. The only thing i will say is I prefer the BT's in Cork as i find the staff in the Limerick store to be soo snobby, eventho they have improved in the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

kiersm

The aul orange tan brigade you refer to, is it?

My mother was a concession manager in BTs a number of years ago and the new girls were always very excited to get their security ID because they could proudly wear it out to lunch. :confused:

Brown Thomas was normally where my missus got her annual perfume but they stopped selling it so...................ah well. Until I come into some money I wont be going in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This country fucking baffles me at times, are people who have money not allowed spend it now? people spending money= good for the economy. BT isnt the be all of shops, its just a store that sells some designer clothes, if people want to spend money they have then let them. This "ooh, no recession in that house" begudgery is ridiculous, its coming up to christmas, BT sells christmas gifts, it where I usually buy my mam and sisters presents, simple as.

krudler wrote: »
    This country fucking baffles me at times, are people who have money not allowed spend it now? people spending money= good for the economy. BT isnt the be all of shops, its just a store that sells some designer clothes, if people want to spend money they have then let them. This "ooh, no recession in that house" begudgery is ridiculous, its coming up to christmas, BT sells christmas gifts, it where I usually buy my mam and sisters presents, simple as.
    Oh no recession in krudlers house!

Just kiddin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

BT is a shop for people with more money than sense. If you are ignorant enough to spend money on a label go for it. BTs in cork have a man employed to open the door for the customers it gives a new meaning to "too posh to push".

Yes the orange brigade i only ever use bts for perfume or as many women I have a thing for vv expensive designer handbags and bts is the only place that sells them. But i have to say i do prefer the Cork shop. Unfort i don't get to shop there much anymore and in response to Coal Bucket, there is nothing wrong with spending money on labels if you can afford it.

CoalBucket wrote: »
    BT is a shop for people with more money than sense. If you are ignorant enough to spend money on a label go for it. BTs in cork have a man employed to open the door for the customers it gives a new meaning to "too posh to push".

one less person on the dole isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

plus gets to perv at the girls all day...hell..he's probably even paying them for it :D

krudler wrote: »

Very well said.

pot_kettle_black.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

If you are ignorant enough to spend money on a label go for it.

I never heard such a stupid statement in my life! :rolleyes: So CoalBucket, you don't have any brand name electronics, Sony, Philips, Whirlpool etc. in your home? Never bought Mattel toys or Clarks shoes for the kids?

Everyone has "labels" to some extent in their homes. It dosn't make us ignorant. :rolleyes:

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    I never heard such a stupid statement in my life! :rolleyes: So CoalBucket, you don't have any brand name electronics, Sony, Philips, Whirlpool etc. in your home? Never bought Mattel toys or Clarks shoes for the kids?

Everyone has "labels" to some extent in their homes. It dosn't make us ignorant. :rolleyes:

Its not just about buying a label. The vast majority of the products in BT can be purchased elsewhere for a lower price or alternatively a similar product for a vastly reduced price. If you decide to spend more money on a product for the pleasure of shopping in a place like BT you deserve to be ripped off.

If you are going to be completely pedantic, everything has a label on it.

Its not just about buying a label. The vast majority of the products in BT can be purchased elsewhere for a lower price or alternatively a similar product for a vastly reduced price. If you decide to spend more money on a product for the pleasure of shopping in a place like BT you deserve to be ripped off.

If you are going to be completely pedantic, everything has a label on it.

Any examples of this at all?

Well without actually marching in to BTs and pricing items, it is widely known that BTs are overpriced. FFS they have a dude dressed in a top hat and tails to open the door of the shop, where do u think they are getting the profit margin for that.

Are you honestly saying that the they are no other shops selling similar items to BTs. Debenhams comes to mind.

Well without actually marching in to BTs and pricing items, it is widely known that BTs are overpriced. FFS they have a dude dressed in a top hat and tails to open the door of the shop, where do u think they are getting the profit margin for that.

Are you honestly saying that the they are no other shops selling similar items to BTs. Debenhams comes to mind.

Debenhams arent exactly cheap either, they sell labels as well.

If your argument is that one extra person more than likely on minimum wage for the Xmas period drives up drives up their prices then I suggest you don't know a whole lot about profit margins.

I'm just interested to know what you think is overpriced in there and why?

If your argument is that one extra person more than likely on minimum wage for the Xmas period drives up drives up their prices then I suggest you don't know a whole lot about profit margins.

Thats not my arguement.

I take it all back. Theres great value to be had in BTs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

BT take up to a 300%+ profit margin on a lot of products, including designer shoes and handbags. It's usually around the 200% to 250% mark though. Independent or smaller stores would typically take a 60% to 100% profit margin. Small bit of a difference there alright :D Where BT get away with it is that most of the products they do this with are pretty much exclusive to them. That's changing though. Tommy Hilfiger recently pulled out of BT due to exclusivity demands and are now going down the independent route, and Juicy Couture are beginning to go down the independent route as well. I could tell one or two very juicy tales about BT and their famous designer shoe labels but I won't. Let's just say I won't ever be buying them for herself at BT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

come on tell us those juicey tales
    saw a tv programme where the exact same
    product was being made in a factory but
    the product comin down one line got
    a different tag and thus a different retail price
    most clothes are made of the same materials
    not that i have a problem with anyone buyin a label
    guess everyone is guilty to varyin degrees
    all is vanity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Studies have actually shown that if you have a greeter look people in the eye as they are entering and leaving they are less likely to shoplift, hiring someone like that is an investment.

Besides, if someone is shopping in there, it's likely that they're already carrying bags from other shops, it adds a more personal touch to have someone open the doors than installing automatic doors would.

diol07 wrote: »
    BT take up to a 300%+ profit margin on a lot of products, including designer shoes and handbags. It's usually around the 200% to 250% mark though. Independent or smaller stores would typically take a 60% to 100% profit margin. Small bit of a difference there alright :D Where BT get away with it is that most of the products they do this with are pretty much exclusive to them. That's changing though. Tommy Hilfiger recently pulled out of BT due to exclusivity demands and are now going down the independent route, and Juicy Couture are beginning to go down the independent route as well. I could tell one or two very juicy tales about BT and their famous designer shoe labels but I won't. Let's just say I won't ever be buying them for herself at BT!

I'm just interested to know how anyone could be put out at the thought of BT's being expensive/poor value for money......

Not that it matters, those that like to have some poor Sod open the Door for them cause their spindly arms can barely hold their designer Wallet and probably don't give him a nod or a thanks in return deserve their BT shopping experience.

- Personally I hate having People fawn over me while simultaneously looking down their orange Noses at me !!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I could tell one or two very juicy tales about BT and their famous designer shoe labels but I won't. Let's just say I won't ever be buying them for herself at BT!

I'm certain I know exactly the story you're referring to. I heard it first in Galway from about three different people who all more or less repeated it word for word. I've since heard the story from people in Limerick and Cork, and each person who told me swore it happened in Galway/Limerick/Cork because it happened to their sister's babysiiter's hairdresser's cousin (or some other such tenuous link).
    While I think there's no smoke without fire, that story is at risk of becoming an urban legend. All the same, I won't be "investing" in a pair of designer shoes from BTs any time soon (chance'd be a fine thing :rolleyes:)

I'm certain I know exactly the story you're referring to. I heard it first in Galway from about three different people who all more or less repeated it word for word. I've since heard the story from people in Limerick and Cork, and each person who told me swore it happened in Galway/Limerick/Cork because it happened to their sister's babysiiter's hairdresser's cousin (or some other such tenuous link).
    While I think there's no smoke without fire, that story is at risk of becoming an urban legend. All the same, I won't be "investing" in a pair of designer shoes from BTs any time soon (chance'd be a fine thing :rolleyes:)
    pm away. she has bought shoes in there before, would love to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

A neighbour has worked in BTs for the past seven years, he (along with fifteen others) were let go last week after being on reduced time for a couple of months. They're eliminating at least one from each department right now.

Although he was told that he'd be re-hired on a temporary contract for Christmas if it picks up, but definitely for the January sale period.

Raiser wrote: »
    I'm just interested to know how anyone could be put out at the thought of BT's being expensive/poor value for money......

There's a difference between expensive and poor value for money.
    Not that it matters, those that like to have some poor Sod open the Door for them cause their spindly arms can barely hold their designer Wallet and probably don't give him a nod or a thanks in return deserve their BT shopping experience.

Way to fabricate a situation entirely in your head to further your argument.

*slow clap*
    - Personally I hate having People fawn over me while simultaneously looking down their orange Noses at me !!!

Letting yourself be upset by perceived attitudes of shop assistants says more about you than it does about anybody else imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Bad news - but sure wouldn't BT have expanded their staff in the good years anyway?

People need to put a sieve over their ear when processing all the negative media vibe. Misery seems to sell papers, so that is what they publish. They go to extremes.

The won't publish any articles talking about how:
    • Of any 10 people employed in the boom, at least 8 or 9 of those people are still in jobs.
    • Of those 8/9 people, there may have been some cut in pay (usually to restore necessary competitiveness), but most will retain full earnings.
    • Those earnings represent much boosted purchasing power for these workers in a deflationary economy.
    The real issues in the economy are about confidence. Confidence is low so those still earning aren't spending. They know some bad budgets are coming, and want to be sure they can weather them so discretionary spending is halted. BT have to cut their cloth to suit this situation. You can't blame them as a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Brown Thomas have reported an 82 percent fall in operating profits for last year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1203/1224284680668.html

There's a difference between expensive and poor value for money.

Way to fabricate a situation entirely in your head to further your argument.

*slow clap*

Letting yourself be upset by perceived attitudes of shop assistants says more about you than it does about anybody else imo.

Aw don't cry - Shop there if you want to - who really cares?

Seriously though relax, no point in getting so upset and narky.

- And since BT's is synonymous with Ugg Boots !!!

iloveyouman2_wideweb__470x30801.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

but it still has an operative profit of €2.7m. every thing doesn't have to be reported in the negative - a big fall in profits for any company is to be expected but a profit is still a profit. Don't talk BTs into leaving - its a profitable store that caters for its own market. Its probablybeen years since I bought anything there and even then it was in sale prices, but it would be a major loss to the city centre, it supports alot of charity events and employs alot of people - 1,900 workers in Ireland directly employed there.

Aw don't cry - Shop there if you want to - who really cares?

Seriously though relax, no point in getting so upset and narky.

About shop assistants looking down there nose? Agreed.
    - And since BT's is synonymous with Ugg Boots !!!

Is it?

You obv know more about them than I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ya, herself had the same story, can't remember which city she said this allegedly happened in - friend of a friend of a friend yadda yadda, money changed hands so she'd never tell a soul etc

In fairness, these things do happen, different product, different company but it did happen the company I work for too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Raiser and keane2097, take it easy with the childish replies.

Thats why pep shop in bts cos of the exclusivity of the things you get there. I luv designed handbags and vvvv occasionally maybe once a year i get to buy a new1 and I get them there because no one else has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

I don't know what story you are referring to but I work in the trade and my stories come from well placed sources in the trade. The incidents I know of are true, I'm not aware of these incidents being public knowledge. There was also a high-end la-de-daw shoe boutique in Limerick at the same craic and probably still is.

Bear in mind though that BT do not run the shoe/handbag departments, that area is franchised out to the Shoe Studio Group in London and everything is conducted and run by them from there. A lot of the departments in BT are franchised out and not actually run by BT themselves. They just charge a fortune for the privilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

I think the original question: about how BT's are doing at the moment, satisfies a deep urge for people who can only look so far up and look no further,

'Hang on, we have a recession here, so the people who shop in dunnes are gonna have to shop in Lidl, the people who shop in superquinn are gonna have to shop in dunnes, wait a minute... who shops in Brown Thomas? and where are they gonna shop next?'
    I could be wrong but that's where I think the curiosity's coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Bear in mind though that BT do not run the shoe/handbag departments, that area is franchised out to the Shoe Studio Group in London and everything is conducted and run by them from there. A lot of the departments in BT are franchised out and not actually run by BT themselves. They just charge a fortune for the privilege!

And here is the whole point of the debate. BT runs on a concession basis, they rent out space on the floor to different companies. IF BT WAS DOING BAD, these companies would be leaving, would be pulling out, there would be blank spots on the floor. Instead, not a single concession has left this year. NOT ONE! They actually have new ones queued up waiting to get in, once they renovate and create some more space.

The place is doing fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ya the place is doing grand , one of my friends works in the cork one and she told me they had people in at the start of october ordering christmas trees priced over €2000 euro , and she said a load of her customers have like a platnium or black card which means you must spend somethin like over €1000 or over €5000 every year to keep it !

I don't know what story you are referring to but I work in the trade and my stories come from well placed sources in the trade. The incidents I know of are true, I'm not aware of these incidents being public knowledge. There was also a high-end la-de-daw shoe boutique in Limerick at the same craic and probably still is.

can you pm the story thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

bigpink loves a bit of gossip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

I think the original question: about how BT's are doing at the moment, satisfies a deep urge for people who can only look so far up and look no further,

'Hang on, we have a recession here, so the people who shop in dunnes are gonna have to shop in Lidl, the people who shop in superquinn are gonna have to shop in dunnes, wait a minute... who shops in Brown Thomas? and where are they gonna shop next?'
    I could be wrong but that's where I think the curiosity's coming from.
    What? Dunnes,Lidl, superquinn?? ,Tesco? Surely there all the same? Are you saying if I shop in Lidl one week Im a pauper? Dunnes the next Im a lord. Heaven forbid M&S another week-Im a king. I purchase in all these shops. Jesus ,this country has stooped to a new low if people are marking where others shop to see if theyve 'survived' cowans noose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement