Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call of Duty.

Options
  • 09-12-2003 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Has anyone played this yet? Is it worth the time and effort or is it just a Allied assault clone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Kaimera
    *cough*

In the other thread about CoD someone ranted about it being crap (um, me). ;)

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yes well...too lazy to post the second link :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Haven't tried it yet but was much impressed by the demo.

What I cannot understand - if this is as good as everyone says (rave reviews etc.) how come if fell through the game charts with making the slightest dent? Is nobody actually buying this game? Go look for it in your local game store - You won't find it on one of the glamour shelves - its more likely to be sitting on a bottom shelf under an old copy of Dungeon siege.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

on the "glamour" shelf of my local game store anaway :/

but i passed on the 60euro pricetag and ordered from amazon for 37

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

I have played it and finished it in normal mode, must say it is an amazing game, really enjoyed it, especially the missions where you are part of a team.

check out the ign review
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/456/456776p1.html
    I agree 100% with it.

Originally posted by BArra
    on the "glamour" shelf of my local game store anaway :/

but i passed on the 60euro pricetag and ordered from amazon for 37

Wow €60 notes - what shop is that (only want to know so I can avoid it) even Game (Henry Street) are only charging €49 and they aren't renowned for being cheap.

GAME

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Gamesworld liffey street 40notes gettin it for christmas got the demo in decembers pc gamer its fooking great.

There's actually two demos available. The one on magazines is called Burnville, the second is Dawnville. I've just downloaded it.

http://www.activision.com/en_US/game_downloads/b741d506-cb6b-494b-8f27-8729d3577a94.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Best WW2 game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by DRakE
    Best WW2 game ever.

Nope. Best WW2 fps. ;)

Great game if your looking for some close hand to hand combat. Beats the pants off DoD really, then again it is newer. Very fun to play, very realstic (for a game!) and well yes a lot of fun to play. Id say better then MOHAA [well the recent expansion packs anyways].

is there any new patches for it? mine arrives in a few days and i wanna be good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Was just about to post some news on the patch. Here is a discussion between Grant Collier (President of Infinity Ward) and ... some other guy.
    Morph: Any ETA or updates at all on the patch? I know you said after Thanksgiving, but how much longer?

Grant: The patch was first submitted to Activision test on Nov. 21st. They have found some bugs, which we have corrected and we are resubmitting it today. Since the testing process is out of our hands, we can't give a hard fast date.

Morph: Do you guys plan to update the editor at all, if nothing else to make it compatible with Windows 98?

Grant: The tools were created using Win2000 and WinXP. There are no plans to make them compatible with Win98.

---

The bottom line? Wait for Activision to get the patch and test it out, and if you're not on XP or Win2000, UPGRADE.

Hope this sheds a bit of light, and if nothing else assures you guys that IW is indeed working on the patch!

So id say soon enough. Possibly if there are no big problem with the patch it may be beofre the new year. I dunno whats the story about 98 though, but that doesnt affect me :D

ah ok, what servers do u guys play on? or is there any irish clan floating about?

im seeing a fair few brits looking for cod games on irc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭rabid

There's a couple of jolt servers I've been playing on for the last few evenings - one for 56k'ers like myself.

Plays really well with at least 16 players....

Reckon its definitely one of the best games of 2003, single player and multiplayer.

Single play is short but am replaying it on the two harder difficulty settings and it gets a good bit more challenging....

I got it delivered from www.play.com for €37......

:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Got the game but havent played it yet. Im upgrading my sound system just for this game. Audigi 2 ZS 7.1 with Creative® Inspire™ T7700. Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES and THX with 7.1 surround. :D:D:D:D:D

Sound Card

Speakers

get headphones then :P

i have sb audigy platinum 2! - but use plantronics dsp500, sound is better in them and gives you total orientation for those all important quiet sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Yes its a very good game.Single plyer wise its short with loads of scripted sections(as you'd expect) but easily beats MOHAA for A.I. gfx etc.The multiplayer game is good but has limited player types(e.g. kar/sg44/mp44)on most maps.Most servers have very short map cycle times which dont help the experience .One for the future though definitely ;spesh when the modders get their hands on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Something to note about patch details - Infinity Ward say that they will be releasing content patches in the future. Expect new weapons, particularly a Russian HMg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I paid €35 for it in Xtra Vision. and It was on the glamour shelf, i also got XIII for €40
    Very cheap for Xtra Vision!!!!

€35 is a good price - I'll buy it from there if ts within range - Which Xtravision - My local only sells PS2 and Xbox

Advertisement