Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Wireless dongle or second router/access point

Options
  • 15-11-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all
    bought a new PC from somewhere and it doesn't/can't have a wireless card.
    So after I gave the supplier some grief they agreed for me to go buy a wireless dongle and they will refund the cost for me.

So should I just buy a usb wireless dongle or should I not get a second router or wireless access point and then connect to that in the office with ethernet to my pc.

Would something like this pick up a stronger signal from my current router. There are a few walls between my office/room and the router location.

what ye think ? I have no experience with these usb dongles and if they pickup a good signal or not ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

A usb wireless dongle these days is a pretty good option.
    It should give you decent enough connectivity.

Just make sure you get a good /well known brand name rather than a noname brand or else you will end up with no end of driver problems etc.

I've used some netgear dongles in the past that were decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Homeplugs? 9 times out of 10 they'll be faster than both a USB dongle and wireless bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

thanks all.
    I had ordered a netgear dongle off amazon and was just in time to cancel the order and re-order a powerline adapter. If it works anyway like its spec it will be fantastic and also extend my wireless in house !! win win hopefully

ordered this one which has gigabit ethernet and wifi

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JIVZVNS/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

davgtrek wrote: »
    thanks all.
    I had ordered a netgear dongle off amazon and was just in time to cancel the order and re-order a powerline adapter. If it works anyway like its spec it will be fantastic and also extend my wireless in house !! win win hopefully

ordered this one which has gigabit ethernet and wifi

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JIVZVNS/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

The Gigabit ports is a marketing gimmick, you'll not get anything near, you'll be doing ok to even get Ethernet speeds. But still a much better buy than a wireless dongle and frees up wireless for devices that need mobility

Advertisement