Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to next for GTA..?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Outside of the US (as a setting) doesn't really appeal to me at all. I think the Americanism in terms of culture, cities and landscape is what appeals to the masses with this genre.

I don't necessarily think we need a bigger map than GTA V but certainly more interior (and maybe interactive) details within buildings etc would be interesting.

I'd also like to see a return to unlocking areas of the map. I really enjoyed watching the next section of a city unlock after reaching a certain stage in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A proper single player story not the utter sh1te we got with V, a total mess. I really was expecting better after GTAIV's great tale where you really became immersed in the characters.

Maybe they should think about bringing back the driving mechanics too, V's fishtailing arcade nonsense angered me. Dumbing down to appeal to every tom dick and retard out there. Regression imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

A proper single player story not the utter sh1te we got with V, a total mess. I really was expecting better after GTAIV's great tale where you really became immersed in the characters.

Maybe they should think about bringing back the driving mechanics too, V's fishtailing arcade nonsense angered me. Dumbing down to appeal to every tom dick and retard out there. Regression imo.

The driving in V is miles more fun. That's the important thing considering how much it is used in the game. Rockstar themselves even said the IV driving was like driving a boat at all times. No way would they go back to it after that.

If you're looking for a realistic driving experience then you are playing the wrong game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Yeah I'd prefer a smaller city where you can enter most of the buildings and go around inside them than a massive one where every building is pretty much blocked off. Would take an absolutely massive effort to do this though, they'd need to design and create the outside and inside of each building, choose colours of walls, furniture etc. Would pay off hugely though. If anyone would do it it'd be rockstar, they already put so much detail in their games

Wonder what games we'll see before GTA 6 though, hopefully bully 2 but more than likely it'll be a 3rd red dead game. Guess there's no chance of a new manhunt since graphics are so good nowadays that it'd probably be horrifying to most people lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

I would like to see a choice for different paths,like with the expansions of ballad of gay tony and the lost and the damned,where you pick different types of outlaws(bikers, mafia, gangbangers, militia, everyday criminals) and they all had their different traits, eg the gang bangers would be able to start by street dealing and would have turf wars and drive by's, the mafia would be large scale and be avoiding rico cases and the feds, bikers would have drug and gun running, protection and inter bikers wars and you had to become president of your club etc. That game would blow my mind!

Hav like two full scale city opposite sides of the map with different factions in each!

• Advertisement

flas wrote: »
    I would like to see a choice for different paths,like with the expansions of ballad of gay tony and the lost and the damned,where you pick different types of outlaws(bikers, mafia, gangbangers, militia, everyday criminals) and they all had their different traits, eg the gang bangers would be able to start by street dealing and would have turf wars and drive by's, the mafia would be large scale and be avoiding rico cases and the feds, bikers would have drug and gun running, protection and inter bikers wars and you had to become president of your club etc. That game would blow my mind!

Hav like two full scale city opposite sides of the map with different factions in each!

I'd just be happy if the choices actually meant something. GTA IV had a lot of kill or spare choices, yet I don't think any of them affected the storyline. What was the point of them?

I agree your choices should dictate the path you take. V obviously had a big decision at the end but that was pretty much it. There should be choices to make like that all throughout the game. Every choice leads down a different path. Just imagine the amount of replay value it would add.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The driving in V is miles more fun. That's the important thing considering how much it is used in the game. Rockstar themselves even said the IV driving was like driving a boat at all times. No way would they go back to it after that.

If you're looking for a realistic driving experience then you are playing the wrong game.

Felt dumbed down to me, I much preferred IV's, there was actual effort to it. Much more rewarding.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'd just be happy if the choices actually meant something. GTA IV had a lot of kill or spare choices, yet I don't think any of them affected the storyline. What was the point of them?

I agree your choices should dictate the path you take. V obviously had a big decision at the end but that was pretty much it. There should be choices to make like that all throughout the game. Every choice leads down a different path. Just imagine the amount of replay value it would add.

IV had the same big decision at the end that actually affected the ending, and there was also the stuff with the McRearys. But yeah, the rest of the decisions were largely meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

V started off very well with the jewelry store robbery. Your choice in crew actually seemed to matter and affect your take home cash at the end. But then pretty much all subsequent heists barely used the crew at all IIRC. A hugely under-utilised mechanic.

Oh, and I too preferred the driving in IV. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

IV's driving is easy if you know how to enter and exit corners with the right speed which post people clearly don't, even in the hold your hand driving style of V. As someone who loves racing, just turn on non-contact racing and it truly emphasizes how many cannot drive other than straight ahead of them. I honestly never had an issue with it in IV, though perhaps from years of Gran Turismo 4 and Forza, IV was made simpler.

Felt dumbed down to me, I much preferred IV's, there was actual effort to it. Much more rewarding.

The casual gamer won't be able to just pick it up and play due to the driving. That is a MASSIVE mistake and alienates a lot of the potential audience. In order to maximise your audience, you make the core aspects of the game simple and easy to pick up. That's the case with V, but not with IV. IV got a hell of a lot of negativity and a lot of it was due to the driving. It would have been suicidal to ignore it and keep it as it was.

Fun is what sells.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    IV had the same big decision at the end that actually affected the ending, and there was also the stuff with the McRearys. But yeah, the rest of the decisions were largely meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

V started off very well with the jewelry store robbery. Your choice in crew actually seemed to matter and affect your take home cash at the end. But then pretty much all subsequent heists barely used the crew at all IIRC. A hugely under-utilised mechanic.

Oh, and I too preferred the driving in IV. :o

Didn't IV more or less end the same regardless of what option you picked? Either Roman or the girlfriend ends up dead. Different missions, but other than no more calls to go bowling I don't think it really made a difference either way. You had essentially the same outcome. But, it has been a while so I may be forgetting something.

I was mostly referring the handful of kill or spare choices you were given. Kill them and nothing happens, spare them and they run off before nothing happens. Why even include them if they aren't going to do anything?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Fun is what sells, but gamers unwilling to adapt whatsoever is an issue, IMO. If people struggled with IV, I imagine they're the same people who go 100MPH into turns with no regards for racing line or the opponent, or the ones who purposefully drive into you to effectively end your race at the first checkpoint. Thank heaven for non-contact races.

IV driving (Battlefield) vs V driving (COD) is like from COD to Battlefield, it's incredibly simple to pick up after 15 minutes if even that. But most gamers these day lack patience, jump straight to quick match and hate on Battlefield because they're doing badly.

In IV, if you were a good racer, you were one best far more times than not. In V, it's a free for all half the time, unless playing on tracks created by users where you have to actually use your breaks.

Adding slip stream and catch up as default on just further dumbs things down as people refuse to race without it, or two, they're too lazy to change it.

There really isn't much of a jump from IV to V as those who disliked IV make out, again, it took some basic understanding of driving like learning racing lines, where to break and the turn point of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Yeah I'd prefer a smaller city where you can enter most of the buildings and go around inside them than a massive one where every building is pretty much blocked off. Would take an absolutely massive effort to do this though, they'd need to design and create the outside and inside of each building, choose colours of walls, furniture etc. Would pay off hugely though. If anyone would do it it'd be rockstar, they already put so much detail in their games

may not be the same but i sa a brief stream of AC:Unity yesterday and he went inside some buildings and it was great looking, if ubisoft can do it I know rockstar definitely can

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    may not be the same but i sa a brief stream of AC:Unity yesterday and he went inside some buildings and it was great looking, if ubisoft can do it I know rockstar definitely can

Would be a lot harder to do for GTA though since there are big modern cities with sky scrapers and lots of huge buildings whereas ac is set in old cities with a lot less large scale buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Somewhere in the south like New Orleans or Houston I think would be good. I wouldn't mind another period piece at this stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

Bring back cheats. Half the fun was using the cheats. GTA 5 feels empty without them. Also the detail in GTA 5 was incredible, especially underwater but i thought the map was way too small and not much to do. I would like to see a game where you are the top of the food chain in a gang and everyone is trying to bring you down. I hope they just leave Vice City untouched. Dont see any point in having it in Miami now and having it set in the 80s would just bring back the same as the original. I think a game set somewhere like San fierro would be good. But also include missions in Mexico, New york, LA. That would be deadly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

deadybai wrote: »
    Bring back cheats. Half the fun was using the cheats. GTA 5 feels empty without them. Also the detail in GTA 5 was incredible, especially underwater but i thought the map was way too small and not much to do. I would like to see a game where you are the top of the food chain in a gang and everyone is trying to bring you down. I hope they just leave Vice City untouched. Dont see any point in having it in Miami now and having it set in the 80s would just bring back the same as the original. I think a game set somewhere like San fierro would be good. But also include missions in Mexico, New york, LA. That would be deadly.

There are cheats in GTAV? Granted there's not the same level that there was on PS2 (anyone else here a proud owner of an ARMAX cheat disc? :P) but they're there at least.

One thing that annoys me about the cheats in V is that the invincibility is only for 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    One thing that annoys me about the cheats in V is that the invincibility is only for 5 minutes.

Yea that bugged the t1ts right off me

Advertisement