Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metal cabinet required for oil burner

Options
  • 05-11-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

A plumber/ general builder recommened I move an internal Grant oil burner outside which had been in the house when I bought it. He partially covered it with a timber surround outside but I don't feel it's very safe or secure.

I had another plumber look at it and he recommended getting a metal cabinet to encase it in. I contacted Grants, the manufacturer, but they don't supply them and only fit them during the manufacturing process. The second plumber also suggested getting one made possibly by a steel fabricator. It's fairly compact as the chimney flue pipe which had been inside the house has now been removed and the outlet now just has the original chimney cap on top.

I would appreciate any suggestions on where I could source one or have one made or any other reccomendations as to how to encase / house it properly.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Probably better and cheaper to build a block house. Make sure to leave service/repair access.

278951.jpg

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Thanks Wearb. That looks fairly neat alright. I had been thinking something more like the metal cabinets that the external burners come in with the vents. The burner is slotted in beside one of those keter sheds and I don't have a huge amount of room where it is now but a brick shed could be an option.

Shint0 wrote: »
    Thanks Wearb. That looks fairly neat alright. I had been thinking something more like the metal cabinets that the external burners come in with the vents. The burner is slotted in beside one of those keter sheds and I don't have a huge amount of room where it is now but a brick shed could be an option.

Those original cabinets are very well insulated and is something that you will need to bear in mind whichever option you choose. You don't want to be wasting your fuel heating up the outside air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Either way install a frost stat to it wired through a pipe stat located on the return & set to 35C.

Wearb wrote: »
    Those original cabinets are very well insulated and is something that you will need to bear in mind whichever option you choose. You don't want to be wasting your fuel heating up the outside air.

Actually Wearb, that was something I was going to ask you. If going with a block shed should that be insulated in some way also. Was trying to look at your photo to see if the shed is insulated but would you recommend it?

• Advertisement

shane0007 wrote: »
    Either way install a stat to it wired through a pipe stat located on the return & set to 35C.

Thanks Shane. Not even sure what that means but the burner has already been fitted outside and is connected and working. I will ask the plumber anyway, the one who didn't install it.

Sorry I forgot the word "frost" for the stat. It will keep the boiler from freezing but when wired through a pipe stat located on the return, as soon as the water temperature comes back at 35C it will switch off the boiler.
    Many boilers in the last big freeze never switched off, running continuously unnecessarily.

Sorry I forgot the word "frost" for the stat. It will keep the boiler from freezing but when wired through a pipe stat located on the return, as soon as the water temperature comes back at 35C it will switch off the boiler.
    Many boilers in the last big freeze never switched off, running continuously unnecessarily.

Thanks, that's useful to know. Something to bear in mind.

I would install what Wearb suggested as you will have to change the flue to suit a box unit whereas a block built unit will accommodate your existing flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I had been thinking something more like the metal cabinets that the external burners come in with the vents. .

Metal boxes are crap in our enviroment, even the newer insulated type suffer big time with condensation, block all the way, please allow plenty of room for top access.

• Advertisement

Metal boxes are crap in our enviroment, even the newer insulated type suffer big time with condensation, block all the way, please allow plenty of room for top access.

Thanks. Do you know what type of insulation would be suitable for this purpose in a shed like Wearb posted above?

Actually Wearb, that was something I was going to ask you. If going with a block shed should that be insulated in some way also. Was trying to look at your photo to see if the shed is insulated but would you recommend it?

That one was made from 9" cavity blocks. You could insulate the inside of it with plaster insulated slabs for extra heat retention. It does need some ventilation and combustion air and the boiler specs usually give that in sq mm.
    The one in the photo had a louvred metal type wall vent in the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

Wearb wrote: »
    Probably better and cheaper to build a block house. Make sure to leave service/repair access.

278951.jpg

Toolbox =check
    Oil rag = check,
    Seat = check
    Meter =check
    Hoover = check
    CASE OF HEINEKEN = WTF? :D....

I hope I have enough space for someone to build it. Where it's positioned now doesn't leave me with much room. It's wedged in between a wall and a shed which is why I thought one of those metal cabinets might slot over it better.

Thanks to all for suggestions and advice.

gifted wrote: »
    Toolbox =check
    Oil rag = check,
    Seat = check
    Meter =check
    Hoover = check
    CASE OF HEINEKEN = WTF? :D....

Of course....sure it would be too awkward to bring draught Guinness around with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

A plumber/ general builder recommened I move an internal Grant oil burner outside which had been in the house when I bought it. He partially covered it with a timber surround outside but I don't feel it's very safe or secure.

I had another plumber look at it and he recommended getting a metal cabinet to encase it in. I contacted Grants, the manufacturer, but they don't supply them and only fit them during the manufacturing process. The second plumber also suggested getting one made possibly by a steel fabricator. It's fairly compact as the chimney flue pipe which had been inside the house has now been removed and the outlet now just has the original chimney cap on top.

I would appreciate any suggestions on where I could source one or have one made or any other reccomendations as to how to encase / house it properly.

Thanks
    I dont understand why you moved the boiler outside.when i built my house i put my grant boiler inside,I could have put it outside or in the garage but i wanted it inside.I have no need to worry about frost,froze pipes or heat losses.In my opinion an indoor boiler is the most efficient,[no heat losses to outside], but it much be service correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    I have a few metal cabins off old oil boilers in the yard
    Pm me if your intrested and I can send you some photos
    Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

agusta wrote: »
    I dont understand why you moved the boiler outside.

I agree.
    OP, what was the rationale for moving it outside?

MicktheMan wrote: »
    I agree.
    OP, what was the rationale for moving it outside?

rationale for moving it outside?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I had never intended to move it outside as it had been giving no problems inside, no smell of kerosene etc. I was fed a story by someone I was hiring to have other work done in my house (unrelated to the burner) that inside burners invalidate your house insurance. He used some example of a case he said he was aware of where an insurance assessor refused to process a house claim for someone once they discovered they had an internal oil boiler even though the claim supposedly had nothing to do with the burner. Just the mere fact of having an inside burner was enough to invalidate your entire house insurance, according to this guy.

As the individual had been recommended to me by someone ' supposedly' trustworthy in the community (but also someone who seemed very keen I give this guy the work), I'm afraid I trusted what he told me as he sounded very convincing. I panicked and told him to go ahead and put it outside for which he charged me a nice sum which I have since been told was hugely excessive. He also claimed to have serviced it but when I went to use it after he had left and had been paid, the unit started throwing out smoke with a burning smell like it was going to go on fire. Any attempts to get the supposedly trained, qualified plumber who also offerred building services, to come back and fix the work were unsuccessful. He went to ground and refused to answer calls or reply to messages. The cost of the job was also to include a proper boiler house which he said he would also come back and do after he threw up some makeshift timber surround only covered on two sides. When I contacted three separate insurance companies not long after to renew my house insurance I was told by each one that oil burners have no effect on house insurance cover be they inside or outside. Needless to say the 'upstanding member of the community' who was so keen that I give this guy the work naturally tried to distance himself when I relayed my experience. Lesson learnt.

I believe now that for some people it's a matter of preference to have oil burners inside or outside. Some say it's more efficient to have inside while others just prefer it outside. I had no problems with it being inside and it worked well. Just putting in context my reasoning for moving it outside as a couple of people here did ask.

I hope I have enough space for someone to build it. Where it's positioned now doesn't leave me with much room. It's wedged in between a wall and a shed which is why I thought one of those metal cabinets might slot over it better.

Thanks to all for suggestions and advice.

Hi Shint0
    See attachments
    Let me know if it will do the job
    Cc

• Advertisement

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi Shint0
    See attachments
    Cc
    I'll take those couple of copper cylinders off ya if there are in your way!
    :D

I'll take those couple of copper cylinders off ya if there are in your way!
    :D
    I bet you would shane,
    We had a clear out last week, and what comes back to the yard now until xmas is promised to the lads for their xmas party, will try and get you an invite.
    I can imagine the conversation at the bar. :D

Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

Brought 126kg of copper to galway scrap yard the other day, got €504 for it, works out at €4 a kilo, got €5 a kilo in january...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

gifted wrote: »
    Brought 126kg of copper to galway scrap yard the other day, got €504 for it, works out at €4 a kilo, got €5 a kilo in january...

I think it's 6 for a kg in Laois

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi Shint0
    See attachments
    Cc

PM sent. I will catch up with you early next week and try to work out if it's suitable.
    Thanks

Advertisement