Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towel Radiator with pipes from floor

• 03-11-2013 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33

Hi, I'm getting my house renovated. I'm not living there at the moment but went up today for a good look around while the builders were away. A towel radiator has been installed in the bathroom as suggested by the builder, I didn't ask for one but was happy with the idea. However I notice that they seem to be using the existing piping so it is hanging on the wall but fixed to where the existing pipes were with copper pipes. The floor has been newly tiled and they have drilled two holes in the floor for this. I thought it didn't look great so I have googled photos and in all the photos the towel radiator is hanging on the wall with no pipes visible to the floor. Would I be right to ask them to change it? I'd rather a regular radiator if the towel radiator is done the way the have it now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

It's not unusual to have it done this way , but if your not happy with the work now is the time to get it changed , the builder and plumber might not be happy about it but it's your house and your paying for it , another thing to keep in mind is , towel rads ( towel warmers) , don't throw out much heat to the room , so if your bathroom is any way big , a standard towel rad is not going to heat it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

For a standard bathroom in a 3 bed semi a 500x1100 towel warmer is most likely needed to give the required heat output for the room unless the room is insulated well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 nabanoga

Thanks for replies folks. I will talk to the builder about it tomorrow but I have a feeling it might be too late to change it as they have drilled the holes into the tiles in the floor so these would also have to be taken up. Is there any way of dressing up the radiator to disguise the copper piping? The bathroom is very small so hopefully the radiator should give out enough heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Chrome plated copper. Looks better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Most DIY stores stock snap-on pipe covers, have them on some rads around the house & they look ok. They come in chrome & white.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Just also remember most towel rails wouldn't heat your m****y. Bathroom design temp is 22C compared to 20C for living areas. The reason is you will be standing naked in that room, so you will need a wee bit more heat than normal. Bedrooms are designed to be 18C as you will be nicely tucked up in a duvet.

Towel rails are for airing & hanging towels, not heating bathrooms. A good compromise is a combined radiator & towel rail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 nabanoga

I spoke to the builder and he said that there are chrome coverings for the pipes as suggested in a previous post that come with the radiator. He will be applying these when the building work is complete. He told me that it will give out enough heat, it is a towel radiator rather than just a warmer, so hopefully it will be ok. Apparently they have come a long way in recent years ...

Advertisement