Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firebird 90 Hideaway Oil Boiler

• 07-11-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

A question about how ling it takes to fire up the above room sealed boiler.

I usually turn it in for about two hours. House is about 2050 sq ft. It is a. Dormer bungalow. System is about 15 years old...same as house. Normally I just have the downstairs rads...double ones ,average size 6 rads and one large one in the hall.

Yesterday we vented the upstairs ones and got them all working, two double ones and three smaller ones. It heats the water as well. I normally don't have the upstairs rads on. I left them on and just wondering the fact that the boiler is taking over an hour to reach temp,,,,is this too long? Have I a problem with the temp gauge? I have it set at 65. It just feels that it is firing for too long.

Time for the plumber?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Is the system sealed or vented? Is there a little tank & a bit tank in your attic or does the system have an expansion vessel (large round red vessel)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

suitseir wrote: »
    A question about how ling it takes to fire up the above room sealed boiler.

I usually turn it in for about two hours. House is about 2050 sq ft. It is a. Dormer bungalow. System is about 15 years old...same as house. Normally I just have the downstairs rads...double ones ,average size 6 rads and one large one in the hall.

Yesterday we vented the upstairs ones and got them all working, two double ones and three smaller ones. It heats the water as well. I normally don't have the upstairs rads on. I left them on and just wondering the fact that the boiler is taking over an hour to reach temp,,,,is this too long? Have I a problem with the temp gauge? I have it set at 65. It just feels that it is firing for too long.

Time for the plumber?

In my opinion boiler is undersized for your house as it is 2000sq/ft+ But if its out of tune and not at its peak performance then you are badly looseing out on two ways.

I would strongly recommend changing boiler for a condensing one a size bigger 120.
    Firebird pre 2002 were a VERY inefficient boiler compaired to what's out there now.
    For now maybe you should get a proper professional service to improve the output + free advice on new boilers over a cup of coffee.
    What area are you in and maybe we can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

shane0007 wrote: »
    Is the system sealed or vented? Is there a little tank & a bit tank in your attic or does the system have an expansion vessel (large round red vessel)?

There is a small tank in the attic. I think it is called a header tank? It ihas been checked and is full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

scudo2 wrote: »
    In my opinion boiler is undersized for your house as it is 2000sq/ft+ But if its out of tune and not at its peak performance then you are badly looseing out on two ways.

I would strongly recommend changing boiler for a condensing one a size bigger 120.
    Firebird pre 2002 were a VERY inefficient boiler compaired to what's out there now.
    For now maybe you should get a proper professional service to improve the output + free advice on new boilers over a cup of coffee.
    What area are you in and maybe we can help.

Unfortunately, not in Cork. The west! Yea, I agree it needs to be changed. Looking at a grant indoor condenser boiler. Is it a big job to replace. How long would it take.?

suitseir wrote: »
    Unfortunately, not in Cork. The west! Yea, I agree it needs to be changed. Looking at a grant indoor condenser boiler. Is it a big job to replace. How long would it take.?

GRANT are a great boiler. Install price will need a plumber to have a look and see what's needed.
    Personaly I perfer boilers outside or in a shed due to seeing what happens if things go wrong.. oil leaks,soot, etc.

Others WILL disagree, but that's my 2 cents worth !

Again "GRANT" are the best boilers. IMHO

TA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

if you do go down the road of changing for a new he boiler be careful not to oversize

get somebody to do a proper calculation for you

last thing you want is an oversized he boiler

jimf wrote: »
    if you do go down the road of changing for a new he boiler be careful not to oversize

That's why VORTEX 90 is a 120 Euroflame, with smaller nozzle + same up through the outputs sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Was at a Job recently, customer had 11 single panel rads, the biggest a 1600. No more than 60,000 btu for entire house. Outside he had a c58 firebird fitted!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Was at a Job recently, customer had 11 single panel rads, the biggest a 1600. No more than 60,000 btu for entire house. Outside he had a c58 firebird fitted!!!!!!

did he forget to tell you about his new extension he had planned:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

did he forget to tell you about his new extension he had planned:D:D

Oh yeah he's building a 5,000 square foot extension!

• Advertisement
Advertisement