Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Water in Corbally?

Options
  • 08-12-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Is anyone else suffering from lack of tap drinking water from the mains in Corbally, or is it just us?

We assumed the water was off this morning due to the freezing conditions, but am now wondering if we are on our own with this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are you in an estate, have your neighbours water?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OfficeAngel

No, we don't live on an estate just a detached house, we have never seen our neighbours.

I was hoping to find a thread of similar problems on here, but I couldn't find any.

Thanks

Contact city council to see if the water is cut off. It sounds like your pipes have frozen, either outside or in the attic. Did they freeze last year?

We only moved into this house in July so have no history. I have tried ringing the plumber that looks after the house - but as usual no response.

We have no water at all now, we must have been using tank water earlier today. Stocked up on bottled water so at least we can have a cup of tea.

I was thinking of turning off the water but can't find where.

I tried look on the council website but no notices or anything.

Will have to keep my fingers crossed for tonight.

Thanks

I dont want to alarm you but if the internal pipes are frozen then you could have a bust pipe that will leak once the thaw sets in, try to locate where the water supply (stopcock) is turned off for the house, in most houses this is usually outside the house under a smallish round cover. Sometimes there's a valve under the sink too but that might not cut all the supply.

I hope you wont have an internal leak, it can be very messy.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advice Phog.

We are all thawed out again at last, it must have been the external pipes that were frozen.

I had the best shower ever this morning!!!

The landlord is still on the plumber's case though.

Cheers for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

In future, do you have a working outdoor tap? If there's a prolonged freeze and that tap is working it's fairly simple to run a garden hose up to the tank and refill it as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

If any of your outside taps have pipes visible, be a good idea to insulate them.

Thanks for your advice Phog.

We are all thawed out again at last, it must have been the external pipes that were frozen.

I had the best shower ever this morning!!!

The landlord is still on the plumber's case though.

Cheers for now

If the landlord or plumber can identify the outside stopcock then try and keep that covered at times of freezing temperatures, throw some old carpet and then sand or such like over it - dont fill the hole with sand/earth as you may need access to the stopcok in a hurry sometime. If they think it's the pipe that was frozen get them to put an extra layer of soil over the pipe - if that's possible.

phog wrote: »
    If the landlord or plumber can identify the outside stopcock then try and keep that covered at times of freezing temperatures, throw some old carpet and then sand or such like over it - dont fill the hole with sand/earth as you may need access to the stopcok in a hurry sometime. If they think it's the pipe that was frozen get them to put an extra layer of soil over the pipe - if that's possible.

Depends on where the pipe is, obviously, afaik, most freezing occurs where the pipe enters the house or in the attic. It's a sign of bad building if the pipe is freezing underground. The pipe should be three feet underground and if the ground freezes to that depth Ireland has probably drifted into the Arctic circle.

• Advertisement

Depends on where the pipe is, obviously, afaik, most freezing occurs where the pipe enters the house or in the attic. It's a sign of bad building if the pipe is freezing underground. The pipe should be three feet underground and if the ground freezes to that depth Ireland has probably drifted into the Arctic circle.

Would agree but I was replying to the OP who said it must have been the external pipe that was frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Hey there i live in an estate in Corbally & my water is fine so unfort think it may be a prob with your house. Hope that helps

phog wrote: »
    Would agree but I was replying to the OP who said it must have been the external pipe that was frozen.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across aggressively. I meant to say the OP should look at where the pipes enter the house and see if they are insulated. I'd also keep an eye on the attic, just because they didn't burst doesn't mean they didn't freeze up there.

If the pipes are frozen underground it's a worse job trying to stop them freezing again. There's meant to be another big freeze next week so the OP should try and ensure the situation is resolved before it can happen again.

Advertisement