Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A limerick tale.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

clarina park was the feature of a discussion on here before Cathal. She should be overjoyed to have been moved out of there. a quick google maps tour is enough to see what she's so upset about leaving behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

Jumpy wrote: »
    Yes gaf. I am damn well hoping that that is another person by the same name which that article refers to.
    I dont like seeing anyone live the way that is shown in that video, but if that is indeed her, you are going to find it hard to get sympathy.

I do believe this may well be the same person, and if so, then your reactions JUMPY/GAF make perfect sense. I get Cathals' point, that we all have rights(if that's his point); but while somebody who has no respect the rights of property of others still retains those rights, - in a human to human sense they do kind of forfeit their right to complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Cathal McCarthy

Jumpy wrote: »
    Yeah... ok I was on your side watching that Cathal. I thought she is living in a ****hole.

But seriously... pick someone cleaner for your campaigns. I am well annoyed at being duped by that video.

Well Jumpy, I have to say (and this will probably upset those right-wing thinking posters out there) that I was fully aware of her history. The BWRA committee discussed this very issue and it was decided that as Mary-Ann’s situation with the door was genuine that we should go ahead with the video. She requested to be filmed while I was filming a community clean-up.

As to my sense of justice, you go to prison as punishment for breaking the law and when you’ve served you’re time the punishment is over. If I were to follow the logic of others that have posted to this thread then maybe it’s ok to rape a prostitute or break the windows of elderly people that engaged in anti-social behaviour in their youth.

It was never my intention to dupe anyone. The resident in question consented to be named in full. The purpose of the videos is not to get sympathy but to (coupled with registered letters and e-mails to the relevant agency) put enough pressure on so that the authorities will act. This has proved successful in most instances: http://www.youtube.com/RegenerationWatch

There are law-abiding resident’s living in much worse conditions than Mary-Ann, but most are not willing to go on camera. Some are even afraid to complain in case they are punished with the ‘long finger’. Those engaged in ant-social behaviour seem to be rewarded with new houses in other estates, while decent people are left to stew in it.

zuroph wrote: »
    clarina park was the feature of a discussion on here before Cathal. She should be overjoyed to have been moved out of there. a quick google maps tour is enough to see what she's so upset about leaving behind.

They didn't move her far, round the corner and next door to another boarded up house. I passed her house yesterday and her windows were smashed in, I'm sure she's over the moon.

There are 8 houses out of 47 left in Clarina Park, 4 still occupied and 4 boarded up. The estate was built 15 years ago and tenants there were not allowed to buy their own homes. It was a lovely place at the start but then came intimidation and murder, decent people moved out, handing their keys back to the council and forfiting the right to be rehoused.

My views and the views of my neighbours about Clarina Park can be found here: http://www.limerickregeneration.org/WGRA Vision Document.pdf it was our little plan for regeneration.

I do believe this may well be the same person, and if so, then your reactions JUMPY/GAF make perfect sense. I get Cathals' point, that we all have rights(if that's his point); but while somebody who has no respect the rights of property of others still retains those rights, - in a human to human sense they do kind of forfeit their right to complain about it.

What are you saying senor, that if someone has been convicted of a crime (in this case shoplifting) and served their time that they have no right to complain about anything? Even prisoners have the right to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

My views and the views of my neighbours about Clarina Park can be found here: http://www.limerickregeneration.org/WGRA Vision Document.pdf it was our little plan for regeneration.

For those who aren't going to read the whole pdf file, have a read through this litany of intimidation, the story of a decent neighbourhood being dragged into hell:
    WESTON GARDENS – A RECENT HISTORY
    Built over 100 years ago, Weston Gardens is a private estate consisting of nine terraced houses, three
    of which were burnt out over a nine-month period in 2001–2002 by criminal elements living in the
    neighbouring estate of Ballinacurra Weston. In the past seven years 11 of our residents have left
    because of intimidation and 4 have died of natural causes. Our remaining 11 residents are a tight-knit
    Community, committed to saving our historic homes.
    Donal Flaherty, the elderly man who lived alone in No. 1 Weston Gardens had endured months of
    harassment and intimidation; windows broken, horses placed in his garden, etc. Finally early in 2001,
    when he was mugged in his own garden he moved out. Criminals who wanted to rent his house
    approached him, he refused and told them that he was selling it. The “For Sale” sign wasn’t up a day
    when his house was burnt out. Limerick City Council (LCC) refused to board it up, as it was a privately
    owned house. The house was not insured and Donal did not have the means to secure his now derelict
    property.
    Paddy Hegarty, the elderly man who lived alone in No. 2 Weston Gardens now became the focus of
    attention for criminal and anti-social elements from Ballinacurra Weston. He had horses placed in his
    garden, stones thrown at his property, etc. His sister wrote to LCC in October 2001 warning of the
    threat posed to her brother’s home by use of the now derelict No.1 by drug users and of fires lit in the
    property. Eventually, in May 2002, No. 1 was set ablaze again and the fire damaged the roof of No. 2.
    Finally, LCC boarded up No. 1. While Paddy moved out to allow repairs to take place, his home was
    broken in to and burnt out. It was boarded up by LCC at the request of the Fire Brigade and Gardaí.
    Joan Higgins and her Family, who lived in No. 3 Weston Gardens, became the next target for youths
    from the neighbouring estate. They returned from holidays to find their home had been boarded up by
    LCC at the request of the Fire Brigade and Gardaí after a failed arson attack. Subsequent to this attack,
    their home was ransacked and vandalised.
    Heather Cunningham, the owner of No. 4 Weston Gardens purchased her home in November 2000,
    she moved out in 2002. She was being harassed and intimated in her own home on a daily basis. Both
    adults and children from Ballinacurra Weston verbally abused her, she was threatened with being burnt
    out and physically threatened at knifepoint on the boreen. She had also endured several attacks on her
    property, including the deliberate demolition of her front gate and wall by a stolen car. Heather shared her home with two workmates, who were also intimidated out; one of them was
    attacked and beaten on his way to work. The house is now occupied by a friend, Darren Maher, whose
    sole purpose for living there is to protect the property. Darren also has endured harassment and
    intimidation, including an attempted mugging. He maintains the garden and regularly cleans the
    avenue. He spent the past two summers as a volunteer in Ballycotton, working with children from
    Ballinacurra Weston and Southill. He has been an invaluable asset to our Community. Were it not for
    his presence and commitment No. 4 would definitely have suffered the same fate as No.’s 1, 2 & 3.
    Cathal McCarthy and Cindy Fogarty bought No. 5 and moved in with their baby in 2001, six weeks
    before No. 1 was burnt out. They now have two children and at times it has been difficult, to say the
    least. In June 2004, at 4am, six men kicked open their front door in an act of intimidation. In 2006 all
    their windows were smashed while they were on holiday.
    Breda Anslow was born in Weston Gardens in 1919. She lived in No. 6 with her brother Maurice, born
    1917. Their autumn years were filled with fear and intimidation. Maurice died in 2003, Breda took ill in
    2004 and was placed in a nursing home. She asked Cathal McCarthy to buy her home by private treaty
    because she was afraid to put it on the open market, in case she was made an offer by the same
    criminals that burnt No. 1. She died in 2006. Rob Garside now resides in No. 6.
    Pauline Hammill was born in Weston Gardens. When her parents died she moved back to No. 7 with
    her husband Tony and raised six children there. She was a tireless campaigner for the area and her
    Family endured much torment. In 2004, Pauline was declared overall winner of the Fáilte Ireland
    Welcomes Awards. She died suddenly in 2006. Tony and their son <snip> still live in No. 7.
    Jean Leahy and Jerry Carey moved into No.8 in 2001, eight weeks before No. 1 was burnt-out.
    Ironically, Jean had sold her home in Garyowen because she felt that it was getting rough and Weston
    Gardens seemed like a quiet place to live. Instead, it was ‘out of the frying pan and into the fire’.
    Colm and Ann Lowe bought No. 9 Weston Gardens 48 years ago and raised seven children there.
    Because they were elderly and lived end-of-terrace they became the most harassed of the remaining
    residents. Colm died in 2005 and Ann moved out in 2006. Although the area had become quieter and
    plans had been shown to us, the harassment over the years had taken its toll and she was unable to
    sleep at night. She sold the house privately in 2007 to our newest resident, James Walsh.
    The residents of Weston Gardens had been campaigning informally since 2000, writing to LCC and
    meeting with the Gardaí and councillors. We had all suffered individually from acts of intimidation and
    harassment and it was obvious that our homes were being targeted one by one. Our informal approach
    was getting us nowhere. Acting on the advise of the Gardaí, the Weston Gardens Residents’
    Association was formed in February 2003.
    We produced a video, “Weston Gardens: A Week In The Life” and sent it to Limerick City Council. We
    also produced newsletters and briefing documents. After a number of false starts, LCC then held a
    series of scheduled meetings with the WGRA and the Gardaí, which eventually resulted in the erection
    of palisade fencing between Weston Gardens and Ballinacurra Weston. Street lighting was also
    installed. We were informed by LCC that nothing further would be done for us unless we supported the
    extinguishment of the right-of-way, which was eventually achieved in 2005. It was never properly
    implemented.
    Meanwhile, people from Ballinacurra Weston continued to dump domestic rubbish and horse manure in
    the gardens of No’s 1, 2 & 3. Annual reports from Health Inspectors were ignored by LCC. Criminal
    elements also used the gardens to stash weapons and drugs. In 2004 the Gardaí recovered €80,000
    worth of cocaine, 2 handguns, 1 sawn-off shotgun, ammunition and a quantity of commercial explosives
    on “waste ground” in the area. Even residents have found live rounds of ammunition on the street.
    Residents have had stones, bottles and fireworks thrown directly at their person as well as their
    property. Horse and motorbike racing on the boreen were regular events. Visitors to Weston Gardens
    often had their cars broken into. One of the worst incidents occurred in June 2003, our postman was
    stabbed in an unprovoked attack by a gang of 15 youths from Ballinacurra Weston. <snip>
    We intensified our campaign, producing more videos etc; with the help of the Gardaí and persistent
    complaints to LCC’s Tenants Enforcement Officer we have managed to turn the situation around.
    Finally in 2006, LCC produced plans and money was secured for the refurbishment of our area. The
    plans were advertised (twice) in February 2007, but never lodged. We eventually found out that
    everything was suspended pending publication of the Fitzgerald Report, which LCC later insisted we
    were part of because it mentions Ballinacurra Weston. We live in Rosbrien!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

What I'd like to know is, how the f*ck do you steal and walk out of a shop with a 42" flat screen tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

What are you saying senor, that if someone has been convicted of a crime (in this case shoplifting) and served their time that they have no right to complain about anything? Even prisoners have the right to vote.

She served 8 months after 36 previous convictions. She has not served time in my eyes. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

and if she'd learned her lesson, maybe she'd have stopped at 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The gap was sealed by relatives, but I think you're missing the point. Mary-Ann had lived in a 15-year-old bungalow that was suited to her needs and she had spent a lot of her own money improving it.
    Maybe if she hadn't spent so much money improving it, buying flat-screen TVs (yes, you can still get CRT ones, a perfectly good flat screen one would cost peanuts 2nd hand and last 20 years) and big lumps of gold to decorate herself, then maybe she wouldn't be in arrears?

You can sell this as a hard-luck story if you like, but you could also sell it as a lazy woman who hasn't been arsed to find a job for years gets handouts from the state to pay for everything and still complains when there's a problem with the house she is given for €45 euro a week that the state also gives her. I was paying €500 per month for a bloody room until recently.

Sure, the council could be better. But I think we'd all be better off if people took a bit more responsibilty for themselves. At this rate, where is the incentive for everyone else to work their nads off if the government comes along and taxes the shirt off their backs to pay for idiot bankers and people who want everything in life done for them? If you can't beat them, join them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Mary Ann Jackson (35), of Ballinacurra Weston in Limerick, managed to walk out of an Aldi Store with a 42-inch flat screen television worth €1,200 and managed to sell it within 15 minutes. Judge Tom O'Donnell described her as a "professional shoplifter" - she had 36 previous convictions - and imprisoned her for eight months.
    Jesus Christ, this is who my tax money is going to? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

I'm saying that I understand the reaction. I'm not saying she should lose her rights because of it: I'm saying that it's understandable that she would lose sympathy because of it. If we're going to have rights then I agree with you they should be rights for all, but I do understand a sense of anger that people have if they see the video and think:'that person is 100% good and their situation is 100% bad', and then discover that things are not as black and white as they first thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Maybe if she hadn't spent so much money improving it, buying flat-screen TVs (yes, you can still get CRT ones, a perfectly good flat screen one would cost peanuts 2nd hand and last 20 years) and big lumps of gold to decorate herself, then maybe she wouldn't be in arrears?

Going one step further, maybe she could afford her own house?

Kills me when I see people waste money on crap (TV's, cigarettes, drink, etc) when that money could be going towards something more tangible like a house. When you've paid for the essentials (food, house, clothes, etc) you can start buying tvs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Brilliant thread, talk about back firing!

Well seeing as Mary has cost the tax payer probably a not so insubstantial sum already with the Gardaí and courts after her I say tough sh*t, she can fix her door with all the money she has made robbing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And at this point I'm going to close this thread. I've only left it open this long because Mary put herself in the public eye when she agreed to be featured in that video. The woman has not come on here to defend herself.

Senor Incognito, be a bit more careful to research the subject matter of your OPs in future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement