Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sewing Machines for Kids

• 18-09-2015 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

My 7 year old loves all things arts & crafts and isn't really into toys at all so she was looking to get the Sew Cool machine for Christmas. After reading reviews I'm not to keen as it seems to be bad quality and is more a felting machine than a sewing machine. I am now thinking of getting her a kids/beginners real sewing machine but I have no idea where to start. Are there any shops in Dublin that sell them or where online should I look?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If there is not a sewing machine in the house, then that is a great idea. Seven is maybe young enough to use an electric machine - you have to be able to reach the foot pedal, maybe it could be raised on a block of wood? I learned to use a machine at around that age, come to think of it it was a treddle machine so my legs must have been long enough.

Yes there are shops selling them - I have no experience of them but this looks like a good bet http://www.sewingmachinesireland.ie/about-us/

Get the simplest you can, no embroidery stitches other than a simple zig-zag and a straightforward drop-in bobbin. Also the lightest - usually the light ones are not recommended, but for a child to be able to move it it would be essential.

Make sure you have a bit of plain cotton fabric for practising with, and some decent (gutermann, say) thread. Cheapo thread is a liability as it breaks and is not smooth.

Can you use a machine? a bit of practise beforehand would probably save frustration on Christmas day! Don't worry if she doesn't take to it immediately, let her give it a go, but there is a bit of a knack to it and it will take a bit of time to get the hang of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Buy a good second hand machine instead of a cheap new one. It will only frustrate her. Age not a problem for using it. Set it up somewhere it won't need to be moved. And do get decorative stitches. No point limiting her creativity. If you can't use one yourself put the word out and there may be a retired person nearby who would love to pass on skills, with your supervision for child safety of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ashmc79

I teach sewing to kids that age I would start her off on a basic lightweight machine such as ikea sy only 55 euro (not much more than a toy one) or guineys have a basic brother one for around €80 - only thing for her to remember is that anything can be unpicked if its wrong and to enjoy it at her own pace - there are some great printables online too where she will start sewing in paper with no thread - if she keeps it up by all means buy an better model in time - good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

Thanks ashmc79. I must look into sewing lessons for her.

Advertisement