Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRMA going after proxy sites. Pirateproxy.net now banned on UPC.

Options
  • 20-04-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Not sure how recently this was, but pirateproxy.net is now banned on UPC. According to the splash screen, it's due to a recent court order from IRMA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Not sure how recently this was, but pirateproxy.net is now banned on UPC. According to the splash screen, it's due to a recent court order from IRMA.

Blocked by Eircom too.

Really can't see why you'd bother though. It's a proxy site, anyone that might use it already knows that proxy's/proxy site's exist and how to use them.

All that blocking could possibly do is raise awareness for people that don't know about proxies.
    Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It has nothing to do with IRMA, UPC blocked it as it is the same as pirate bay and they are supposed to block the pirate bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

GarIT wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with IRMA, UPC blocked it as it is the same as pirate bay and they are supposed to block the pirate bay.

Are you sure about that? This is the first proxy that I've noticed getting blocked.
    Blocked by Eircom too.

Really can't see why you'd bother though. It's a proxy site, anyone that might use it already knows that proxy's/proxy site's exist and how to use them.

All that blocking could possibly do is raise awareness for people that don't know about proxies.
    Daft.

Agreed. People seem to be capable of finding work arounds or new proxy sites very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Blocked by Eircom too.

Daft.

not blocked for me on Eircom - are they (eircom) using DNS to block it I wonder (I'm using Google's DNS)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Not blocked on Sky anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Not that I ever use the site, but it appears to be working here on UPC.

Not that I ever use the site, but it appears to be working here on UPC.

Are you sure? Still getting a blocked message on it. Are you sure you don't have a VPN on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just checked, blocked on UPC here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Fine on Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Fine on Sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Your site works fine for me. I do use a vpn service but the original pirate Bay site is still blocked..... Wonder what's going on there?

RedXIV wrote: »
    Your site works fine for me. I do use a vpn service but the original pirate Bay site is still blocked..... Wonder what's going on there?

You disabled the VPN when you tried to access the site above? and you were able to access it with a UPC account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Blocked on UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

loyatemu wrote: »
    not blocked for me on Eircom - are they (eircom) using DNS to block it I wonder (I'm using Google's DNS)?

With Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 I'm still getting a blocked notice.

Does anyone know if there's a list of blocked sites somewhere?
    Or are they now allowed to censor whatever they like and not tell anyone?

With Google's DNS 0.0.0.0 I'm still getting a blocked notice.

Does anyone know if there's a list of blocked sites somewhere?
    Or are they now allowed to censor whatever they like and not tell anyone?

UPC seem to be quite transparent on these issues. They released a statement regarding the initial piratebay block and also confirmed their kat block on their "talk to" boards page. I've sent them a message for confirmation on the pirateproxy.net block and also a list of any other related blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Working for me but I have unblocking plugin installed in Chrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yup. No VPN or DNS change. Just rebooted tonight and tried it again. I'm still able to get to the site.

I'm sure UPC will update the thread in the Talk To Forum tomorrow.
    gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Are you sure? Still getting a blocked message on it. Are you sure you don't have a VPN on?

Yup. No VPN or DNS change. Just rebooted tonight and tried it again. I'm still able to get to the site.

I'm sure UPC will update the thread in the Talk To Forum tomorrow.

Yeah. Their reply will be interesting. I wonder how many proxies they went after in this first batch. Can't imagine it was just the one. Mind you, I've checked most of the other popular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Working fine here on UPC using Google's DNS server

Advertisement