Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuck on ADSL Profile - Forum Advice

Options
  • 10-04-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I've been bypassed for e-fibre as my house is not close enough to a cabinet. I live approximately 3.6km from the exchange.

What I'm trying to do is get more "speed" out of my line and and limit my signal to noise ratio loss.

My line is reported by Eircom as only being capable of 4Mb/s. After a few issues where most of the phone line to the road was replaced, I got rid of the eircom zyxel modem and picked up a Billion Bipac 7800N. This allows me to adjust my SNR so that I can acheive faster speeds by tweaking my SNR settings. From a line rated for 4Mb/s I can get 6Mb/s after Eircom increased my profile.

My line stats are 50db down and 31db up.

Currently I'm connected at 6144/512k. My current modulator is G.DMT. My line stays stable as low as 0.9db down stream and a speed test at this reveals that I am still getting my connected speed. Pingtest shows jitter as 1ms and my line is rated as A.

What I want to do is squeeze a little more out of my line. I dont want to increase my profile speed to 7Mb using G.DMT, I want Eircom to change my profile to ADSL2+. By doing so I can decrease my down stream db loss by around 3-5 db, meaning that I should be able to get nearly 7Mb/s. (from my current normal day 4.4db down I could decrease this to around 7.4db to 9.4db), which should, in theory, allow me to push my line speed further.

What I want to know is, is this possible. I spoke to Eircom support and they dont have any settings (they state) that would allow them to change me from G.DMT modulation to ADSL2+ modulation. They state that they can only increase my profile to 8mb/s (the limit of ADSL - G.DMT) which wont help me in anyway.

Does anyone know any different or have any advice?

Cheers all...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats a rather interesting one. You really are maxing out that line.

First of all you may be on an ADSL port or an ADSL2+ port. ADSL2+ ports can drop back to ADSL "mode" during the sync process if it decides it needs to or the modem on the far end only supports it. If you're on an old port then the only way to get moved to a new DSLAM is to have a regrade ordered onto a 24Mb package which has a minimum profile of 9Mb. They probably cant order that though as your line is pre-qualifying for 4Mb.

The difference between ADSL/ADSL2+ at that kind of range though, is it that much? I can understand you want to get the best out of the line that you can but I dont know that you'll get much better than you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep. The obvious first thing to try is to change it yourself on the router to ADSL2+ and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'm stuck really. If I change the modulation at my end to ADSL2+ I cant connect. Suppose I will have to wait for FTTH. Roll on 2017!!

That means its an ADSL1 port. You could request a port change if their are ADSL2 ports available but I dunno if the techs would entertain it.

Thanks for the help. You're right, I dont think they will entertain that one. Cheers again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Obvious questions / statements

- Have you positioned / plugged router into primary socket where Eircom line enters house
    - Disconnect all secondary / slave phone sockets and leave this as the only live socket

I did this and was able to move from a 3MB profile to a 5MB, then eFibre arrived!

Yep, all of the above done a long time ago when I was having issues before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hope the OP doesn't mind if I hijack the thread and look for advice if I can get more speed out of my ADSL connection. I'm about 3KM from the exchange as the crow flies. Here are my stats:

Link Information

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 835 / 4.11
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,6 / 18,3
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 36,4 / 61,0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,5 / 5,9
    System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
    Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / GSPN
    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Link (Remote): -
    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 210 / 0
    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 24.954 / 259.363
    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 23 / 668
    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 13 / 6.541

Any idea if I could go better that 4MB?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nope unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Similar question for me guys. The exchange is currently being upgraded to fibre, but I am a few KMs away.

Hard-wired speed test gives me 2.6MB down and 0.30 up. I am on a 3 Meg profile, which I want to get increased, even if I am too far away to get eFibre.
    DSL Status: Showtime
    DSL Modulation Mode: G.DMT
    Downstream Rate: 3072 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps
    Downstream Noise Margin: 9.1db
    Upstream Noise Margin: 22.0db
    Downstream Line Attenuation: 63.5
    Upstream Line Attenuation: 31.5
    Downstream Transmit Power: 18.6
    Upstream Transmit Power: 2.6

The connection I have is pretty stable these days, and latency is low (about 45ms ping). But I would love a better upload speed, for working from home and video conferencing.

I should add: my router supports ADSL2+, but will I need to call them to plug me into an ADSL2+ port at the exchange or will that automatically happen during the exchange upgrade currently underway (Kilcolgan exchange)?

• Advertisement

You're on a pretty long local loop, that line will only manage 4Mb which IIRC has the same 380k upstream.
    8M/512 NGNBMB8M UBB eirc_adsl_160-8192_128-512_I1 8M_512K_RL Yes
    7MB eirc_adsl_160-7168_128-512_I2 7M_512K_RH Yes
    6MB eirc_adsl_160-6144_128-512_I2 6M_512K_RHL Yes
    5MB eirc_adsl_160-5120_128-512_I2 5M_512K_RHL Yes
    4MB eirc_adsl_160-4096_128-384_I2 4M_384K_R Yes
    3MB eirc_adsl_160-3072_128-384_I2 3M_384K_RHL Yes
    2MB eirc_adsl_160-2048_64-256_I1 2M_256K_RL Yes
    2MB eirc_adsl_160-2048_64-256_I3 2M_256K_RHH Yes
    1MB eirc_adsl_160-1024_64-128_I3 1M_128K_RAHH Yes

Thats from the documentation on their site. You're unlikely to make 5Mb to get the .5Mb up, and even then its only a small increase. Id look to fixed wireless.

Advertisement