Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in Addiction Counselling LIT

Options
  • 14-04-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi Guys,

Can anyone please advise me about the Diploma in Addiction Counselling offered in LIT?

Is this a good course/employment rate etc.?

Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭OzMister

Ya it is an excellent course and meets all the accreditation criteria. There is no money in private practice your wasting your time. Also this course is €10,000, and you can do the exact same course with all the accreditation included in cork, for Free. But it's hard to get on it, hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Unknown123

OzMister wrote: »
    Ya it is an excellent course and meets all the accreditation criteria. There is no money in private practice your wasting your time. Also this course is €10,000, and you can do the exact same course with all the accreditation included in cork, for Free. But it's hard to get on it, hope this helps

Thank you for the reply OzMister! I was informed that the majority of graduates are working either full or part time in addiction centers so i think thats very positive. On average whats the salary for an entry level addiction counsellor? I have a business degree and i am presently working in Marketing but would like to change career paths.

As far as I'm aware it around €35,000-€39,000. I was also considering the addiction councellor rote until I talked to individuals in the profession and some very knowledgeable people on this site also in the profession. I was advised to go the Councelling/psychotherapy route (addiction is included) and I now totally agree with them. It gives you great depth of knowledge and a wider scope of employment I.m.o.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 who? too

Hi sorry for jumping in on this thread - but I was also interested in changing careers and going down the addiction counselling route. Having fully considered my options - I now feel that counselling/psychology would allow me greater scope when it comes to employment prospects. I have an undergraduate degree in hrm so I was hoping to do a post graduate conversion course. Can anyone advise me on their own experiences of qualifying in this particular area - where should I even begin to start studying??
    Thanks in advance.

Well I'm on the same boat as u I have a hon degree in social care and was thinking of going for a post grad,because of all new knew regulations they are planning to implement and u would need a masters anyway to practice as a psychotherapist down the line. Iv been looking at ul limerick and they r look for a foundation course in Councelling along with you degree to get on the course. It's 4years the first 2 are a postgrad diploma and 2nd 2 are a masters, and all your accreditation hours are included. I also looked at PCI college but they expect you to be already qualified to gain entry to their masters so dat ain't a option. ICHAS college in limerick run a masters also in Councelling/psychotherapy and that a waste of time and money there is no creditable accreditation attached to the course. Whatever course you look at research it well regarding accreditation, so don't want to be spending your well earned bucks and realise when qualified that it ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 who? too

Hi Ozmister -thanks for your advice. Yeah it seems to be a difficult area to get into at postgraduate level for the fact that some sort of previous study in the area always seems to be a requirement. Limerick is a bit far for me at the moment but I was looking at the DBS courses which seem ok. I think I'm just going to have to resign myself to at least 4 years. Thanks again for that info about the accreditation.. Best of luck in your studies.

Advertisement