Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kindle and buying books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I have a similar question: I wanted to buy an e-book from amazon.de, but my account is linked to amazon.com (got it from Argos). When I tried to purchase the book, I was told that this e-book is not available for Ireland.
    However, this book is only available as hard cover and packerback from amazon.com.
    What gives??? Why is the kindle version available in one country, but not in another? Are there ways around this? Finding this so annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am thinking about buying an amazon kindle, but my worry is about buying ebooks from amazon, i remember hearing before that you go onto amazon see the book you like, then it tells you its not for sale in your country - and this seemed to apply to loads of books i am interested in.

Is that still an issue with a kindle? I dont want to have to set up new accounts and route money via different countires, i just want to be able to click and buy what i see on the kindle store from ireland.

For example can i buy this book via kindle from ireland : ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Empress-Dowager-Cixi-Concubine-ebook/dp/B00EV5BJDM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1381703308&sr=1-1&keywords=empress+dowager+cixi
    )

Any opinions?

I clicked on the link - and I can buy the book if I want to. I'm in Ireland, and my account is with .co.uk.

It's pretty easy to switch an account to the UK site from .com.

I do notice, when browsing, that the UK site states beside a book that it's only available for UK customers, but when I click through to the book itself it's available to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

As of yet Amazon has not created an Irish Kindle store and for countries without native Kindle stores Kindle customers are defaulted to the .com (US) store. Alas, because of international rights and distribution issues that have not yet come to terms with the digital age there will be books advertised in the .com (US) store that are not available in Ireland.

A lucky few Irish Kindle customers will have accounts that link to the .co.uk store. I'm not sure if this is because of where the Kindle was bought or whether they have a UK address on their Amazon account. I think if you buy your Kindle in the UK or buy it online and have it sent to a UK address you will be linked to the .co.uk store and in all honesty I get the impression that is preferable to the default set up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

All Irish users can now change their account from the .Com site to the .Co.Uk site.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

All Irish users can now change their account from the .Com site to the .Co.Uk site.

Oh awesome - when did that happen?

Edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201248840 Handy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

Dortilolma wrote: »
    Oh awesome - when did that happen?

Edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201248840 Handy!

February or March this year. I bought my first .co.uk books in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

So to sum up, I dont yet have a kindle but if i log onto amazon.CO.UK and see a book i want, I WILL be able to purchase, no issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

jogdish wrote: »
    So to sum up, I dont yet have a kindle but if i log onto amazon.CO.UK and see a book i want, I WILL be able to purchase, no issues?

you should be able to, yes! It's rare that a book is unavailable because of country, unless it's like a rare one, I have never had any problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I have the Kindle App on my phone and the account with amazon.co.uk. Can get whatever book you like from the UK site.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I got the switch over in March, or thereabouts, to the .co.uk site and the selection is now excellent. Even better is that I have a load of Amazon .co.uk vouchers so I can buys lots of books that I won't have time to read for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I've bought my mother a voucher on the .co.uk store, downloaded the Kindle app to her Nexus and created an Amazon account also on the co.uk store for her. But every book I search for has "not available in your country" beside it. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

You don't necessarily have to buy books from Amazon for your Kindle. If you download Calibre you can buy books in any format from any website and convert them to ".mobi" format so you can read them on your Kindle. All legal of course :)

Advertisement