Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

At this time with all the equipment thesis companies have that it takes a min of 3 weeks to change over.

Sky did it for me on the day they said and within the time stated.

If it takes so long. How come no one has been on various forum to say so.

Wonder they one get a person reading off the wrong script.

Have you tried the on line chat line ?

If one does change and loses the Internet for a number of weeks. What can one do?

In all this time ons switching from one provider to an other has not improved in all this time.

Looked at VF website. Saying that it takes 10days to set up phone service and up to 15 days for BB.

But one would have to check if one would lose service.

If one did what recourse would one have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I switched from Sky to Eircom recently. It took Eircom a couple of weeks to come and install the modem, but they didn't do the actual switchover until the install had happened, so I still had broadband from Sky until the switchover happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I switched from Sky to Eircom recently. It took Eircom a couple of weeks to come and install the modem, but they didn't do the actual switchover until the install had happened, so I still had broadband from Sky until the switchover happened.

Did you incur any fees from Sky? Did you give Sky any notice or just let Vodafone do everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Did you incur any fees from Sky? Did you give Sky any notice or just let Vodafone do everything?

Gave Sky no notice. I was paying them for broadband up until the switchover date and then I started paying Eircom.

Just rang there now, was talking to a lovely woman called Kirsty. It's ordered now! I'm delighted :)

airuser wrote: »
    Looked at VF website. Saying that it takes 10days to set up phone service and up to 15 days for BB.

But one would have to check if one would lose service.

If one did what recourse would one have.
    Yup that's what the woman told me on the phone. She said that it "should" be much quicker and it usually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Yup that's what the woman told me on the phone. She said that it "should" be much quicker and it usually is.

I ordered last Saturday week and I am already up and running with Vodafone.

Speed test 38 down, 15 up and ping 8ms.

Can go wrong..

Don't know if I'll be charged with sky again but I was out of contract since feb, but the guy wanted 31 days notice. LOL

Sup08 wrote: »
    I ordered last Saturday week and I am already up and running with Vodafone.

Speed test 38 down, 15 up and ping 8ms.

Can go wrong..

Don't know if I'll be charged with sky again but I was out of contract since feb, but the guy wanted 31 days notice. LOL
    I rang up around a month ago and just asked about how I would go about cancelling and the guy gave me the UAN, didn't even try and make me stay. So I wonder does that count as notice?

As long as I get up and running after the 18th I should be grand.

Does anyone remember the number you can ring where it tells you what landline provider you have? 91 something or something? I can't remember :P

I woke up a few minutes ago to find I've no internet... Not getting an IP on the Sky Hub and the self heal isn't fixing anything.

I'm going to plug in my old Vodafone router and see what it does.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been cut off from Sky. This is unusual because I was told my switch over would be seamless. Here's what it says on the Sky website.

"You have removed Sky Talk from your subscription

You may see some credits on your next bill for products you have removed. This is because we collect some subscription payments in advance, so when you cancel a product, we refund you the advance payments pro rata.

Product changes
    14 Apr: removed Call Answering
    14 Apr: removed Call Waiting
    14 Apr: removed Caller Display
    14 Apr: removed Sky Talk
    14 Apr: removed Sky Talk Freetime
    14 Apr: removed Three Way Calling
    14 Apr: removed Variable Call Forwarding
    14 Apr: removed Withhold Number
    15 Apr: added Supplement for not having Sky Talk
    This bill was generated before you made changes to your account; the effect of these changes will be shown on your next bill."

I'm so sorry for all the spam. Perhaps a mod can edit all my posts into the one or I can do it myself later on.

Eventually the Globe on the Vodafone router turned solid and it gave me a VODAFONE IP ADDRESS!

This is only a few hours after I rang to switch over.

So now I have internet from Vodafone and it's syncing at the exact same speeds my Sky Hub was syncing at.

Can anyone help me as to what is going on?

I haven't a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

That happened to me but my internet wasn't cut off the same night I rang. Expect early termination charges from Sky. Mine were €30.

That happened to me but my internet wasn't cut off the same night I rang. Expect early termination charges from Sky. Mine were €30.

Vodafone told me that it would take up to 10 days for the landline to transfer over and assured me that it would be well passed the 18th by the time it switches. I surely didn't expect less than a day and it's switched! I didn't know the VDSL would fall back onto the ADSL. Surely the fee Sky would charge for 2 days before the contract is over wouldn't be too much? I really should sleep instead of worrying about the silly internet connection!

Vodafone told me that it would take up to 10 days for the landline to transfer over and assured me that it would be well passed the 18th by the time it switches. I surely didn't expect less than a day and it's switched! I didn't know the VDSL would fall back onto the ADSL. Surely the fee Sky would charge for 2 days before the contract is over wouldn't be too much? I really should sleep instead of worrying about the silly internet connection!

Did you tell them about your contract? I told you to wait the day after your contact ends because of what happened to me. Vodafone clearly don't fúck around when adding customers to their service. We'll know better next time.

Did you tell them about your contract? I told you to wait the day after your contact ends because of what happened to me. Vodafone clearly don't fúck around when adding customers to their service. We'll know better next time.

We surely will!

Alright this is just weird... I connected the Sky Hub back in for whatever and I got a Sky IP address! So I have Vodafone and Sky on the one line... Did this by any chance happen to you too? Very strange.

We surely will!

Alright this is just weird... I connected the Sky Hub back in for whatever and I got a Sky IP address! So I have Vodafone and Sky on the one line... Did this by any chance happen to you too? Very strange.

It did. I could use both Sky and Vodafone.

Same thing happened when I switched from Eircom to Sky in February 2013, except the transfer to Sky took a bit longer.

It did. I could use both Sky and Vodafone.

Same thing happened when I switched from Eircom to Sky in February 2013, except the transfer to Sky took a bit longer.

Which one should I use do ye reckon? I might just keep using the Sky until I get my new Vodafone Modem and an install date. It's the same speeds so it doesn't really matter tbh.

Which one should I use do ye reckon? I might just keep using the Sky until I get my new Vodafone Modem and an install date. It's the same speeds so it doesn't really matter tbh.

Go with the one with the best Pingtest result: http://www.pingtest.net/

• Advertisement

Go with the one with the best Pingtest result: http://www.pingtest.net/

Thanks for that, I might just do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That happens. When the switch over is going through you are authenticated with both providers for a while. As it is still the same line in the exchange it's not that strange.

The VDSL doesn't fall back to ADSL, it's just that until the VDSL is spliced onto your line at the cabinet, you cannot have it. Needs a physical connection.

That happens. When the switch over is going through you are authenticated with both providers for a while. As it is still the same line in the exchange it's not that strange.

The VDSL doesn't fall back to ADSL, it's just that until the VDSL is spliced onto your line at the cabinet, you cannot have it. Needs a physical connection.
    Thanks, I think I'm understanding it now....
    I'll probably post a speed test to the speed test forum just to see which connection is faster :)
    They're both syncing at the exact same speeds, same server and both on Ethernet.
    I'll post later on.

3442567001.png

Well there is my test a few minutes ago. Looked at the settings and I'm set at 40Mbps and 16Mbps so i'm pretty much hitting top speed.
    Must ring them and make sure they up me to the 50 as per offer and see what they say..LOL

Thanks, I think I'm understanding it now....
    I'll probably post a speed test to the speed test forum just to see which connection is faster :)
    They're both syncing at the exact same speeds, same server and both on Ethernet.
    I'll post later on.

Depending on the exchange it could be Eircom handling the whole thing for both providers so it may be identical. You will hopefully have an install date for the fibre soon. I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

3442567001.png

Well there is my test a few minutes ago. Looked at the settings and I'm set at 40Mbps and 16Mbps so i'm pretty much hitting top speed.
    Must ring them and make sure they up me to the 50 as per offer and see what they say..LOL

What are your stats? SNR margin mainly...

• Advertisement

3442567001.png

Those are very nice speeds! How far are you from the cabinet do you know?

Depending on the exchange it could be Eircom handling the whole thing for both providers so it may be identical. You will hopefully have an install date for the fibre soon. I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

My exchange has LLU, I hope to get the modem soon followed by the install date. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Just rang there now, was talking to a lovely woman called Kirsty. It's ordered now! I'm delighted :)

Delighted to hear that you got a more positive reply this time.

Airuser

Alans181824,

Re your loss of Internet in the early hours this morning. About 0.400 hours this morning had no internet. Rebooted and all ok.
    Did notice when I moved from VF to SKY had both for a day or so.
    At that time I had both modems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

My exchange has LLU, I hope to get the modem soon followed by the install date. Hopefully it won't take too long.

So, how long before we see a new thread titled 'Vodafone Broadband Speed Issue' :D

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    So, how long before we see a new thread titled 'Vodafone Broadband Speed Issue' :D

Good on ye!!!

degsie wrote: »

Fingers crossed there won't be and I'll be sure to post a speed test once everything is setup.

I wonder how long it'll take for the Modem to arrive...

Fingers crossed there won't be and I'll be sure to post a speed test once everything is setup.

I wonder how long it'll take for the Modem to arrive...

Usually about a week.

Did they give you an activation day? Then a day or so before that.

Do you have to have a new faceplate to be installed to cope withe Fibre?

The latter is where any delay may happen.

One of my neighbour's has VF installed and up and running within 10days.

So wish you all the best with VF

Airuser

Ps let us know all the gory details.

Usually about a week.

Did they give you an activation day? Then a day or so before that.

Do you have to have a new faceplate to be installed to cope withe Fibre?

The latter is where any delay may happen.

One of my neighbour's has VF installed and up and running within 10days.

So wish you all the best with VF

Airuser

Ps let us know all the gory details.

I haven't received anything from Vodafone yet. But given today is a bank holiday I didn't expect to either.

Hope to have everything set up soon.

I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

Regards.

I haven't received anything from Vodafone yet. But given today is a bank holiday I didn't expect to either.

Hope to have everything set up soon.

I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

Regards.

10 working days. I should have said.

10 working days. I should have said.

Ah I see, thanks Airuser :)

I was given an install date today, next Friday 25th, which is actually my birthday!

Should be a great present :)

Hope to get the Modem on Tuesday now.

I was given an install date today, next Friday 25th, which is actually my birthday!

Many congrats for the 25th. Hope all goes well

Airuser

Many congrats for the 25th. Hope all goes well

Airuser

From looking on their website they have my address wrong, a big chuck is missing. Maybe that's why I haven't received my modem yet!

Also, one of my neighbours is actually an Eircom Engineer so I wonder if I'll get him on the install date!

From looking on their website they have my address wrong, a big chuck is missing. Maybe that's why I haven't received my modem yet!

Also, one of my neighbours is actually an Eircom Engineer so I wonder if I'll get him on the install date!

Alan181824
    Keeping my figures crossed for you. From what they(VF) have would the modem get to you. An Post do wonders. I have had post come to me with just my surname and Douglas. Got it.

About the install try him. All he can say is "no".

• Advertisement

Alan181824
    Keeping my figures crossed for you. From what they(VF) have would the modem get to you. An Post do wonders. I have had post come to me with just my surname and Douglas. Got it.

About the install try him. All he can say is "no".

That's reassuring. Yeah An Post are pretty reliable in fairness to them. I think I'll wait until Tuesday and see if anything comes. If not I may just ring up and request a replacement.

Hi All,
    Just on Sky charges after cancelling, here is what it says on my bill.

skyscreen.PNG

I don't think I've ever seen somebody as excited about a VDSL install before! Like a child waiting for Christmas... Good on ya! :cool:

Hi All,
    Just on Sky charges after cancelling, here is what it says on my bill.

skyscreen.PNG

So changing from SKY went swimmingly and up and running within 2weeks. Fantastic.

Hope you will be in a position to get a higher profile.

I don't think I've ever seen somebody as excited about a VDSL install before! Like a child waiting for Christmas... Good on ya! :cool:

Haha, I'm genuinely excited though, I really am.

The upload is gonna be great and that download...

I'll of course let everyone know how it goes, only 5 days to go! ;)

That's reassuring. Yeah An Post are pretty reliable in fairness to them. I think I'll wait until Tuesday and see if anything comes. If not I may just ring up and request a replacement.

Hi there, just a quick update,
    Nothing came this morning so I decided to ring up to change the address and order a new Modem. The man on the phone almost gave out to me for the address not being totally correct! Their call centre appears to be in the UK somewhere judging by their accents and the place I live in is called Graiguecullen, which I guess was too hard to spell so it was left out!
    Hope to have the new modem before Friday.

Nothing came this morning so I decided to ring up to change the address and order a new Modem. The man on the phone almost gave out to me for the address not being totally correct! Their call centre appears to be in the UK somewhere judging by their accents and the place I live in is called Graiguecullen, which I guess was too hard to spell so it was left out!
    If it's coming from UK 5 working days by post. Using UK MAIL daily.
    In Dublin at work. Certainly file downloads @ 100m in the company set up is great. Far better than the 8.5 at home.

You'll end up with 2 modems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

That's great but I'm not sure this has anything to do with this thread as you are no longer a sky customer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Oh God, that sounds very like the messing I had with Voda while trying to move from sky bb. After waiting 60 days for the modem I gave up and went with Eircom. The best thing about Eircom is the installer brings the modem with him, saves a lot of stress.. Vodafone wouldn't put me on eFibre straight away. I had to go on DSL first and then they would move me onto eFibre, a strange way of doing it I thought:confused: It didn't matter in the end the whole thing became a mess of eMails and phone calls and then cancellation by me. The feckers even had the cheek to try and charge me a cancellation fee claiming I breached the contract..... Anyway I hope none of that happens to you and everything falls into place.

Advertisement