Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WildStar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

The new beta update, huge improvement to performance and new ui is way better and the body shapes arent half bad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Have the changed the body shapes?

They added a load of different shapes you can choose from when creating your character, Like top heavy, fat, muscled and skinny stuff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Nice, i got to admit the original models were off putting for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

They improved pvp too from what I can see. Survivability needed to be tuned down and it looks like it was.

Yea i got a engineer and medic high enough to pvp with was good fun, i like warrior in pve but feckin hell i feel so pointless doing pvp with melee in this, just feels like im running around like a headless chicken through telegraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Companion box

Gave the beta weekend a try, got to level 10, felt an awful lot like TERA in the sense its incredibly grindy. Anyone else feeling this or does it get better as you progress?

Gave the beta weekend a try, got to level 10, felt an awful lot like TERA in the sense its incredibly grindy. Anyone else feeling this or does it get better as you progress?

Cant say i found it grindy myself, Found the leveling flowed at a nice pace. That said i only got to lvl 18 at at the highest and a few other classes from 10-15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

If you end up doing a "kill 20 slugs" mission when there's nobody else around to help speed things up it does seem to take forever.

Fwiw, I sampled most of the classes, getting to lv. 13 on my most advanced character. There's fun to be had in a party, but I found the solo experience exposed how dull the combat/levelling was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got sent a key for a "community beta weekend" from tomorrow. Just hope de laptop can run it without blowing up :/

Hmm still didn't get a key sent to me even though I've played in 2 beta weekends.

Got to level 14 and have to say that staying alive starts to get a lot harder once you pass level 10. In a good way though, you have to be smart about using the right abilities and avoiding telegraphs.

Also what some people have started to make in housing is pretty cool. https://imgur.com/a/JoSze and even more impressive is this ship https://imgur.com/a/0wI0s . have a feeling that 800 item storage for your house won't be enough for some creative players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well it gave me 2 codes, one for EU and one for the US servers. Can give you the US one if ya want, probably wont be using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Open beta announcement

Runs from 8th to 18th :)

EU servers as well! no more 200+ ping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Open beta announcement

Runs from 8th to 18th :)

Happy days! Picked away at a few beta weekends, never had a chance to get stuck in, ten days of access will be nice!

Will there be any sort of Boardsie guild going on for chats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

gonna give this another go this weekend, had to abandon during the last beta as performance was terrible on my low spec laptop. has there been many optimizations in the last two months or so?

yea i saw some performance improvements the last two weekends, but then it got insanely laggy for me with like a 200-300 ping, Im not sure how it would be run on a low spec laptop though. might have to customize the **** out of the settings.

All your characters from the NA server will be preserved in the move to EU as well, these guys know what they are doing.

I was really looking forward to this game, have taken part in about 2 beta weekends so far, looking forward to having a bit more time to play it.

One thing I found though, is that there's a bit of information overload when you start playing, you'll roll a character, and be given 3-4 bars that all show different things, a basic attack, and some sort of super ability, and it's not very apparent, even reading the tooltips, what everything does...unless that's changed in the last month or two. And when you level up, there's some "role" tree you put points into, that has about 15 different options in it, again quite confusing.

Anyone else have this experience?

for the record my system is (laptop):

i5 core 2410m @ 2.3ghz
    8gb ram
    ati radeon 6470m

graphics card is my only concern, it's about 3 years old and was only mid range when it came out. i can play ESO reasonably well on medium and great on low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

delta36 wrote: »
    I was really looking forward to this game, have taken part in about 2 beta weekends so far, looking forward to having a bit more time to play it.

One thing I found though, is that there's a bit of information overload when you start playing, you'll roll a character, and be given 3-4 bars that all show different things, a basic attack, and some sort of super ability, and it's not very apparent, even reading the tooltips, what everything does...unless that's changed in the last month or two. And when you level up, there's some "role" tree you put points into, that has about 15 different options in it, again quite confusing.

Anyone else have this experience?

Agreed about info overload early on, almost instantly after your new character spawns.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What time does it open tomorrow? Or is it the 8th US time?

Haven't tried any of the beta's so far, so looking forward to giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Open beta is live!

Click the above link then click "Play now" to get your beta key, I had trouble using chrome so try a different browser if it doesnt work.

And the NCSoft site is down.

i think i've had enough of Beta at this stage and i'm gonna wait it out until launch. I'll log in every day though to get the boomboxes.

I'm one of those guys that hates losing characters that i've been playing for a while. Think i might go mad if i went any higher than 15 in beta :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 richiebox

Ordered a new pc and am going to try it out with Wildstar. I hope to get online next week at some stage. What server/race are people playing? Is there a boards type guild set up?

Been playing both exiles and dominion. Kinda prefer the exile areas so far, you can also pvp as early as level 6 which is pretty awesome, so i have been trying out almost all the classes in the 6-15 level range, its just a zerg match with little to no coordination but its fun just killing things and trying out the different classes.

Its pretty much diablo with 1-2 resource builder abilities a few resource spender ones coupled with a bunch of other on 10-30 second cooldowns. Almost all abilities are targeted manually through telegraphs, the size and shape of which is pretty important. This is because many classes are very mobile and can not only dash but blink and quickly run circles around you as you are trying to target them.

Spellslinger: great mobility, really tricky to lock down, really long range telegraphs, some pretty great burst if you use your R effectively. Probably one of the safest choices, void shift is awesome as most people will ignore you right after you trigger it, you can play most pvp games without dying while ranking up a lot of kills along the way. The most popular class for a reason.

Medic: pretty solid choice, really mobile, short telegraphs but they are all really wide and all mobile, they make team fighting a joy as you always try to fit more people in. The disengage is really solid, short cooldown and teleports you pretty far. Their damage is pretty low though pre-level 13 as the 3 beam resource ability is pretty hard to hit a single target with and doesn't work well on groups. However one you hit level 13 this all changes with quantum cascade, its got crazy high damage, a crazy big telegraph and is practically instant damage. Medic is pretty much god mode level 13-14 you can take on big groups and cripple them with this one ability.

Warrior: really a pain to play, you basically have to go all in, your disengage is also your charge. Since very few people are healing at this range, even fewer with the skills they need you don't have anything to support you. Damage is pretty good and you can really stick to people, but you need to get so close to do so and it doesn't help when you get stun locked and blasted with 4 quantum cascades.

Esper: Really high damage, and an awesome smackdown stun. horrible mobility though and doesn't have a proper disengage, like at all. Really fun if people ignore you or fight in smaller groups, Not fun in most situations since you'll get mobbed.

Stalker: pretty much a warrior except has a proper disengage, and is really great at sniping medics and especially espers. The rogue you know and love from other games. Falls apart in larger groups, but you wont mind.

Engineer: One class i haven't tried yet, looks pretty solid though. No disengage but really long range and very mobile.

This is all from a solo viewpoint, i haven't teamed up with a group. Team play would definitively change things, like an esper with people pealing for her puts out some crazy numbers, warrior with at least one healer in the group does pretty well just the nature of the game, but expect little to no cooperation at this range.

I urge new players to give the pvp a shot, its the earliest glimpse of what the game has to offer, the dungeons at 20 are awesome but most wont stick it out till then without a hook, definitively worked for me.

You can also level pretty fast through pvp alone.

I didnt enjoy pvp at all and im playing the beta a few months, then again i dont enjoy pvp in any mmo.
    Not sure ill play much of this open beta as like mentioned above i hate losing characters ive put a lot of time into.
    I find the telegraph system a novelty for about 5 mins then its just annoying as you play like a mini game of avoiding telegraphs everywhere in pvp,becomes boring fast imo.
    PVE is what im interested in and what i hear the game will ship with a tonne of content , probably more than any mmo ever on release.

Can other players see your telegraphs? Cause that sounds pretty damn stupid.

Yes they can see yours.

The fact you can actually avoid damage through well timed dodges and smart movement actually turns the game into something more than just comparing spreadsheets of stats. So in that sense i really like it.

If you dislike telegraphs, all the proper pve dungeons and raids use then heavily. So if you dislike the pvp mini game you'll probably hate that, basically dont stand in the fire x100. However its very clear to see when you have screwed up as opposed to dying from something seemingly random.

• Advertisement

It's not really smart movement and well timed dodging if you know exactly what's coming though, is it?

I've never liked the idea that enemies can see exactly what you are doing. Like in Warcraft with some addons that told you exactly what the enemy was casting, and how long it took to cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

Patch server down for anyone else ?

Let me try to explain this, some attacks are pretty hard to avoid, they are a wide cone around the player, if you get caught in them you will take some damage, it CAN be channeled so when i start taking damage i know where its coming from and i choose the best direction to get out of it, the other player can track me however, so its basically up to both of us to manoeuvre around each other.

Most attacks however are instant, i have no change to avoid the damage IF the enemy player aimed it correctly. However i can very clearly see a quick telegraph letting me know something did in fact chunk me, i can see the range of the attack and try to get away.

Another telegraph is channeled/release where i can see the telegraph charging, i can see when its charged, but i don't know when he's going to release it.

The "smart" part comes when i see a spellslinger, i know he's got some abilities that i cant avoid, and one or two that i can. I have 2 dodge charges which will get me out of the way easily if he lines up a channeled/release shot, though he can just as easily bait me and not release immediately.

I know the attack is coming but i don't know when, conversely he doesn't know when i'm going to dodge. Movement is another resource, i have a finite set of dodge charges and abilities that displace me, so i must use them wisely.

If you ever played wow arena, theres a little more going on here than executing a rotation and trying to line of sight your opponent.

Gotta say, really enjoying the game this time around, I think it's because I don't feel pressured to play it as the beta's on for ten days, not just a weekend.
    Rolled a Spellslinger this time round, having great fun with him so far (only up to lvl5), and also enjoying the Explorer path, considering you get specific utility skills for levelling up in that, which is really cool!
    Anyone tried dungeons yet? I hear there's one available from level 6.

Also, stupid question, I've noticed that there are certain quests you do that change the environment around you, like stopping it from snowing and clearing up the sky, are you then put into an instance with other people who've completed that quest? Or do different characters just see different things?

First dungeon is 15 i think, well it was in one of the previous betas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

The dungeons are what make this worth playing. Both the level 20 dungeons are already better than anything I've played in pretty much every other MMO and on par with WoW's best and these were the entry level dungeons.

I'd say endgame will be excellent!

Bit miffed over the whole name reservation thing, its freaking world wide ! not server specific thats feping retarded.

enjoying this beta, performance vastly improved for low end computers. don't think they've fully gotten around to high end optimizaion so don't worry if your machine has poor fps just yet.

questing is pretty tedious tbh, not much different to wow, but everything else is pretty cool, ton of stuff to do. pvp is pretty sweet. i've gotten used to the cartoony graphics as well, not a deal breaker for me anymore.

Finally got to 20 and tackled the first dungeon, stormtalon's lair. The hype isn't too far fetched, its pretty epic. You are constantly moving, dodging damage and throwing out rotations, its a lot to take it if you are used to standard MMO dungeons in wow,swotor, ESO, even TERA. Despite the difficulty none of my 3 groups disbanded over a wipe (10+ in some cases), we all just wanted to do better next time. You should check out some videos.

You can enter the first dungeon as early as level 17 but you cant queue for it till level 20, which you definitively should wait for.

• Advertisement

froog wrote: »
    questing is pretty tedious tbh, not much different to wow, but everything else is pretty cool, ton of stuff to do. pvp is pretty sweet. i've gotten used to the cartoony graphics as well, not a deal breaker for me anymore.

The questing does seem to be fairly standard stuff, but what's making it for me is the stuff that comes up as you're questing. Like going to an area to do a quest, and getting a path specific mission as well, or activating a challenge of somekind, or finding a hidden area etc..

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not really smart movement and well timed dodging if you know exactly what's coming though, is it?

I've never liked the idea that enemies can see exactly what you are doing. Like in Warcraft with some addons that told you exactly what the enemy was casting, and how long it took to cast.

Seriously dude, don't knock it till you try it. If you think W* combat is easy mode then you clearly haven't played it yet.
    delta36 wrote: »

Also, stupid question, I've noticed that there are certain quests you do that change the environment around you, like stopping it from snowing and clearing up the sky, are you then put into an instance with other people who've completed that quest? Or do different characters just see different things?

Different characters see different things.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    Bit miffed over the whole name reservation thing, its freaking world wide ! not server specific thats feping retarded.

Yeah, they could really have handled it a bit better.

Eoin247 wrote: »

Different characters see different things.

Awesome, that's what I hoped. It's really well implemented in that case!

I am finding it hard to choose a faction, both sides are fairly cool i loved the mordeshi quests, like the look of the draken and mechari, what are u guys n gals thinking of picking ?

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I am finding it hard to choose a faction, both sides are fairly cool i loved the mordeshi quests, like the look of the draken and mechari, what are u guys n gals thinking of picking ?

I'm enjoying the exiles so far. Last time I played, the Dominion almost seemed stupidly "evil" in how they acted, which I found a bit off-putting, has that changed much?

But on the other hand, the Mechari do look awesome..

Yea, they have some cool religious imperialist vibe to their quests i only played them in the zones that lead to illum. Most of that was rooting out mentalist from the faction.

Did the same with exile enjoyed them both. Trying not to play any more til launch. I do prefer thayd to illtum, but dom has some cool mounts.

• Advertisement

picking dominion cause illium feels like a proper city and i typically enjoy the "badder" side, although i agree with the post above they are a bit too cartoon-villainy. the exiles seem a bit lame goody two shoes for me, especially the aurin.

Enjoyed what i played of it over the weekend. Was only on for an hour or two, as i don't want to spoil myself (and lose a lot of time on a character that'll be deleted), but it looks great and the combat is enjoyable. Will definitely pick it up at some stage.

Kiith wrote: »
    Enjoyed what i played of it over the weekend. Was only on for an hour or two, as i don't want to spoil myself (and lose a lot of time on a character that'll be deleted), but it looks great and the combat is enjoyable. Will definitely pick it up at some stage.

That's my dilemna as well, teetering on the edge of pre-ordering now, but still want to play a bit more to get a proper idea, but also don't want to ruin any more for myself.
    May roll a stalker on Dominion during the week, see how that goes.

Might as well throw this question out there, how does partying/teaming up with other players feel in this game? Does it change up the game much when you're playing with someone in a different class because you know what they can do, that you can't, and it makes you play differently? Or does it just feel like there's twice as much damage being put onto on enemy? (Pretty sure that question makes sense).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Can only play for 5 mins before it shuts my laptop down. Must be some driver issue because my laptop should be more than capable of playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Playboy wrote: »
    Can only play for 5 mins before it shuts my laptop down. Must be some driver issue because my laptop should be more than capable of playing it.

Graphics card drivers used to cause those sort of problems with other games.

Have a look around and see if it needs a beta driver or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement