Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did your band fall apart?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I had a band when I was in school, a few friends of mine came together and tried really hard. But after a while Jimmy quit and then Jodie got married. I probably should have known we'd never get far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Lothaar v2 wrote: »
    One thing that used to wreck my head was band members not 'working on' songs. Like, we'd put something together at a rehearsal... I'd go off and come up with ideas for my bit (another bass player)... but the others wouldn't even think about it until the next rehearsal. Then we'd just jam the exact same thing again. There was no polishing, no attempts at innovation, no experimentation - nothing. The lead guitarist would play the first thing that came into his head, then try to replicate that exactly every time. Same with the drummer. It was a pity, as the guitarist and drummer were very talented - they just didn't realise that they could put some thought into their music.

I don't think that broke us up, though. It contributed to us seriously under-achieving. We had the stereotypical cocktail of egos, bad communication, differing goals etc. It all came to a head and left everyone with a pretty bitter taste.

That was in 1998. I haven't been in a band since :( I still play the 10 or so songs I had been hoping to record with that band.

In my opinion, it is the responsibility of the composer to communicate these issues to other members. They can't hears your 'vision' of the song, only you can. So just asking them to try something different and having the will to keep the song on course is required.

That said, band members can also play things that never would think of, and can give the song a character that you never considered. Again, communication and a willingness to bend is also required.

It's tough, but a fine balance of both these options must be found. But with a difficult personality in the band? I don't know how that is done...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

In my opinion, it is the responsibility of the composer to communicate these issues to other members. They can't hears your 'vision' of the song, only you can. So just asking them to try something different and having the will to keep the song on course is required.

That said, band members can also play things that never would think of, and can give the song a character that you never considered. Again, communication and a willingness to bend is also required.

It's tough, but a fine balance of both these options must be found. But with a difficult personality in the band? I don't know how that is done...

I think he was saying moreso that other band members weren't putting in the effort into improving their parts of the song. An "it'll do" type of attitude when "can I improve this?" is what he was looking for. People more in love with the idea of being in a band than actually being in a band and making it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Folmhaim

Regarding the thing about people with egos, I certainly wouldn't agree that being in a band with a bunch of people you get along with is automatically a good idea. When you're in a band with a bunch of your mates, I think what tends to happen is that people tend to start worrying about hurting other people's feelings, and the one thing you don't want in a band is to be surrounded by a bunch of yes-men - if you've written a bad song, you need someone to tell you that it's a bad song, not tell you it's a good song so your feelings don't get hurt. The last bad I was in split up partly cos of this, in that the singer and the drummer were really good mates and whenever the singer wrote a song the drummer would tell him it was really good and so on, even if it wasn't. I'm not sure if the drummer in question was even aware of doing this, but I imagine if the two of them hadn't been good mates then he would've been prepared to give the singer more honest feedback. So I think it's either a good idea not to be in a band with a bunch of your mates, or if you are, then to make sure your mates can keep the personal relationship and the band relationship completely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Folmhaim wrote: »
    Regarding the thing about people with egos, I certainly wouldn't agree that being in a band with a bunch of people you get along with is automatically a good idea. When you're in a band with a bunch of your mates, I think what tends to happen is that people tend to start worrying about hurting other people's feelings, and the one thing you don't want in a band is to be surrounded by a bunch of yes-men - if you've written a bad song, you need someone to tell you that it's a bad song, not tell you it's a good song so your feelings don't get hurt. The last bad I was in split up partly cos of this, in that the singer and the drummer were really good mates and whenever the singer wrote a song the drummer would tell him it was really good and so on, even if it wasn't. I'm not sure if the drummer in question was even aware of doing this, but I imagine if the two of them hadn't been good mates then he would've been prepared to give the singer more honest feedback. So I think it's either a good idea not to be in a band with a bunch of your mates, or if you are, then to make sure your mates can keep the personal relationship and the band relationship completely separate.

Some good points made here. I think all members of a band should have the maturity to accept constructive musical criticism. IMO you are not being a good mate if you say one thing but think something else. You are all supposed to be part of a team, working together for the common good. Like you say, the band relationship can and should be left behind in the rehearsal room after practice. Sounds great in theory, but is not always the case unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Unfortunately people seemed to have confused these statements:

1) You should be in a band with people you would have a pint with.

2) You should be in a band with people that you do have pints with.

Difference.

A person with an ego is excruciatingly difficult to work with. I just find it impossible. This goes for bands as well as any other job. People must have infinite patience on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

Ego and ego.
    2 biggest reasons imo for the breakup my past bands.
    Singer, who in fairness actually wrote very good rock/pop songs, which did get national airplay, started to believe what media said about us that bit too early.:( He tended to listen to his "new friends", bloody clingons, rather than the growing number of arguments in rehearsals. We had started out with a similar goal, were on the road to acheiving it, but then the Kiss of Death. "The Next U2" Arrrggghhhh. Back in the 90's anyway this meant, once it was written about you, goodnight Vienna/Slan Leat/Auf Wiedersehen/Bien Nuit.......

On the issue of mates with other members, it helps if you can tolerate them but imho you dont need them to be "mates". We treated our band as a business, just like any job, and no one likes all their workmates but for the purpose of gaining a wage, they show respect and tolerance to the people they spend most of their day with.....
    We had the occasional pint after a gig and that was it. NEVER did we meet up in town outside of rehearsal/gig's and it worked, to the relative level that we acheived. My two cents.....

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Just can't find anyone absolutely dedicated. Rhythm guitarist and drummers are hard to find. An ac/dc tribute band, you think that you'd find people interested and dedicated. I'm still looking. Gone through so many drummers. Maybe I should have just started an original band!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Singer is going to OZ. Don't blame him tbh. Lost without the band tho and finding a singer who can actually sing in tune is near impossible down here. :( Theirs always some ****ing link missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

The death of any band or band relationship I've ever had stems from the same reason all the time. Someone was being a dick. It's entirely oversimplified but I'd imagine it sums up most people's experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

First band:

Different tastes, different aspirations. We had been playing together for about 7 years, had been signed and a few years later dropped from a label so band had basically run its course and different members wanted to move onto different things at that stage.

Second Band:

Alot of enthusiasm when it suited some members but absolutely no commitment or effort for the mostpart. One in particular would go months without even picking up his instrument yet expect to be gig ready after one practice. Eventually I got sick of it and left.

Current band is the absolute opposite thankfully. Only been playing with them a few months but everyone seems to be constantly trying to get better even though they are all solid musicians already. Everyone works on their parts for new songs at home which i think is very important to keep interest up. If you come to practice each week and have to claw through a new song slowly over a month or so to get it sounding anywhere near decent it becomes a nightmare. If you come to practice a week after starting a new song and everybody has worked on their parts and you notice an instant increase in the songs quality it makes you feel alot better and keeps you interested. As for working with someone you find difficult, it really depends on the circumstances. Ive been in bands with people i didnt get on with/other members didnt get along etc as we were simply different people but while it could be difficult, we just got on with it. Things like that only become a barrier if you make it one. Obviously if your only playing for fun and not as a career, you want to get on with everyone but if your playing to make a career out of it, just be professional and put up with eachother. If its a case that you despise another member then its obviously different. In most bands there is some sort of friction at some stage but make sure the communication lines in the band are open and discuss any problems people have before they become a major thing.

PS. Bassplayer also and have also had big problems finding other committed members. Before i started with the current band I must have sent out about 20 PMs and got maybe 3-4 replies within a fortnight of sending, another 3-4 after about a month or so. Personally see it as a major warning sign as if it takes that long to reply, you can imagine how disorganised the band probably is. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MrTaiwo

So does anyone hear actually play in a band or want to join a band maybe?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Fandango wrote: »

Current band is the absolute opposite thankfully. Only been playing with them a few months but everyone seems to be constantly trying to get better even though they are all solid musicians already. Everyone works on their parts for new songs at home which i think is very important to keep interest up. If you come to practice each week and have to claw through a new song slowly over a month or so to get it sounding anywhere near decent it becomes a nightmare. If you come to practice a week after starting a new song and everybody has worked on their parts and you notice an instant increase in the songs quality it makes you feel alot better and keeps you interested.

Thats the way my band is going . Only be jamming for a few weeks but thats the way we are going . Have been doing a few covers and they all came together quickly and we jammed 2 riffs out a few times and cant wait to see how it comes together the next practice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Yeah this is a bit of a controversial topic alright.This is a tough game to in with the alot of people having very strong personalities.Theres is also an awful lot of back stabbing p**cks in this game too.
    I have been trying to get a good coverband together for the past two years and have played and met with alot of different musicians.Thought i had a potentially very good band together at the start of this year but things fell apart when the drummer started to act the bollix and the singer had to move with his job(so we thought).I also at the time just before we broke up had lined up a very good keys player for an audition with us so i essentially put the whole band together.I have got a new band together now and hopefully will be gigging in the new year but found out a few months ago that the 3 lads from the last band have a band up and running now but got anew guitarist and bass player to replace us so we essentially got shafted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Colinboy wrote: »
    I have got a new band together now and hopefully will be gigging in the new year but found out a few months ago that the 3 lads from the last band have a band up and running now but got anew guitarist and bass player to replace us so we essentially got shafted!!!

[Tony] Wilson was a great catalyst, a champion bull****ter and a pretty terrible businessman - all thoroughly commendable qualities. He was also a dream interview, and very funny on the rare occasions I spoke to him. “Don’t print this,” he once told me, “but all musicians are c*nts.”

- Stephen Dalton (Uncut Magazine)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

i was left to do everything sorting gigs,,,was never of the phone then when i wanted to rehearse they didnt want to ,,they wanted bread but not to put the time in to keep the band fresh ,,so i through my hat at it and went solo havent looked back since ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I remember joining my very first rock band when I was 17. The guys were all a bit older and had more experience at gigging. So there was me (singer) 2 guitarists, bass player and male singer and a drummer. Things started off great. Was never an issue with commitment. The only problem was the bassist/singer and his little temper tantrums. Seriously no one ever knew where we stood with the guy. Anyway we eventually went on to play our first gig and it was epic. BUT songs I sang where better known than the songs he sang therefore I got a better response from the crowd. Your man had a fit and the band split up shortly afterwards. Was a pity, we were really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Tried a few collabs but people weren't really into it and that's frustrating. I have a mate who i get great results with but he's so busy with work he has no time for it. :(

I'm a drummer so to get around the lack of other instruments I just learned melody theory a few years back. Happy now with results.

Need to learn to sing next... or find a singer! Been looking a good while now without any success

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

It was more and more like a chore towards the end. I was doing most of the work, the drummer had started playing with another band and our rhythm guitarist would rarely make it to practice. As a result, our live performances begun to suffer and the whole thing just wasn't fun anymore.

Best advice I can give is to find like-minded musicians with a high work ethic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Omena

I'd say it's an absolute must that every member have their own steadfast personal fire, drive, and reasons for wanting to do this, otherwise they are not tapped into the regenerative cycle of give and take that retains their interest in continuing to devote time to the band.

I agree that you should be happy to go for a pint with your bandmates, as well as be proud to have their back. Reason being that if you will be collaborating on original compositions, it is not really a business arrangement, it's a co-creative relationship in which you will ideally, hopefully, be baring a lot of yourselves, which requires a degree of trust. If you are writing without passion, it will show. It will not feed you, and your empire will be fleeting. People can feel slapdash, they can feel 'sleepy', and it is an insult to impose it on others.

My experience has overwhelmingly been that the band crashes when one or more members cease to be fed by their commitment. The rest (dickish attitudes, etc) seem often to arise as a consequence of mismatched levels of investment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Voltwad wrote: »
    Best advice I can give is to find like-minded musicians with a high work ethic.

I think there's such a problem as too high a work ethic...:rolleyes:

The last band I was in I got offer to play bass (yes another one guys :D) through these boards. Everything was looking great: all the members lived really close... really important as I live in the countryside and everyone seemed motivated... however a drummer was missing... but that wass resolved soon enough.

I made sure to set out some goals and to make sure everyone was motivated to work. However; they very writing originals very quickly... I'm talking at least one a week. They (lead singer/guitarist, guitarist) set out THEIR vision for the songs without myself and the drummer having no real input as to what we wanted. So basically myself and the drummer showed up to practice and were under extreme pressure to quickly learn off pre set visions we weren't informed of enough. ALSO: Any input I has to change up the bassline, even a tiny bit, were shot down... And believe me these were small things (playing more than flippin root notes). Also little things: Like, no proper place to practice, they had CRAP equipment, everyone had college... etc

Granted, there was talent there... We had two gigs; one being a BOTB heat and the second being the final, which we came second... But after feeling like I was "just a bass player" being manipulated my 2 music students who think they knew it all I called it quits...

TL;DR: Too much work, no shared vision, lack of neutral input, felt belittled and talentless.

I also have slightly happier stories of failed bands that I may share tomorrow... For now the bed calls...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

college :(...
    plenty more people to jam with though :)

Advertisement