Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banished

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Look cool will be keeping an eye on this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sounds really cool and different.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Going through Steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Releasing on February 18th

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/10/out-of-exile-banished-releasing-in-february/

Probably will wait for some reviews or lets plays before buying but looks promising

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll be picking this up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

damn..looks pretty interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Thanks for reminding me about this game OP, was following it, and it looks interesting! Really enjoy these types of city builders, where it's not just about building up a big army to fight other nations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Looks very good from what I've seen.

How come there's no price up on steam for this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

How come there's no price up on steam for this yet?

He's said on the site it will $19.99 so probably about that in euros on Steam.

Looks really good - very impressive for a one-man team.
    Very tempted to pick it up once it's out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Definite purchase. I've been watching quill18 play it and been very jealous! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Same, day 1 purchase for me. Been following it for quite some time.

23 hours to go.

*tap, tap, tap*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Does anyone know what time exactly it's released?

Skittle wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time exactly it's released?

Around 7pm tomorrow. I think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

dregin wrote: »

As much as I want Steam's auto-patching etc... Sold!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Steam purchase here, you can get a non DRM download also

Steam purchase here, you can get a non DRM download also

Sweet. Aren't I glad I got distracted before getting out the credit card. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

New indie city builder that's just come out today (GOG / Steam).

I picked it up just before lunch and had a quick run through. It's very pretty and seems to have a nice pace to it. I remember seeing something about it some months ago and thinking "oh, that looks interesting."

I've not played Anno 2070, but I've seen it in action and that's possibly the closest thing I've seen that this resembles (except that it's obviously a medieval era game rather than future).

bought it today, it crashed when i tried to load the first tutorial but i'll say this

I ****ing love those menus

so responsive, so basic and they just ****ing work with no fuss, razzmatazz or bollocksology

and that click sound.
    it's worth the money just for that

Really impressed with how in depth the game is so far. My only gripe is the graphics are sub par but it's not a major complaint, the gameplay mechanics heavily outweigh it so far.

Will play a couple of hours more before I have a final verdict on it.

Well I'm personally loving this game so far. A good few hours into my first town, had a population of about 200 and I accepted my first group of nomads into the town. Low and behold they brought a disease into my town and wiped half my population :(

Started another this morning but this time I will focus more on herbal medicine and treatments. The game really holds a delicate balance between the citizen's needs, really great to see and so far it's quite difficult to master.

Another few gripes on it, I had to enable event log so I could track what time of the year it was, as my crops were dying as winter approached and I was none the wiser on it, that cost me a few miserable winters. Also there's no priority building, the citizens will build whatevers closest to their house and will abandon buildings that are further away, which is a bit annoying.

Apologies DCully, I did a quick search (cause I was sure I'd seen a thread alright), but didn't find it :) Thanks for the heads up.

[EDIT]
    I started a thread on the Games forum, not thinking to look here for a thread :o Threads merged now.

Anyway, This game is the latest in a line of "I'll play for an hour and then should think aobut bed - frak how did it become 3am?!" sorts of games :D

So far every town I've had has over-expanded and ran out of food (with a few running out of firewood). I can never seem to keep enough of a stock of logs too despite having a couple of Forester stations out in a big wooded area slightly away from the rest of the town.

I played it for a while last night. Nice. I can very easily see how slightly misjudging when to expand, when to stockpile or what buildings you need could really mess you up. Farming seems sub-par until you're quite big though, it's just not as reliable as gathering due to early Autumn freezes. Once you get a decently large town though you'll be forced to farm for food variety (fishing is the other food source that scales very well) and be forced to maintain a big enough food stockpile to survive two unlucky Autumns at least.

I'm enjoying it, I can really see it not being everyone's cup of tea though. Losing a woman to childbirth or anyone to a falling tree whilst collecting wood early screws you quite a bit.

Yea, I hadn't initially used the Gatherers and I really regret that, they should be one of the first buildings you get down I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You can get it cheaper on the Humble Store. Not sure what the price is in euro but i picked it up for £11.99 instead of the £14.99 it was on Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

What a great game!

My first attempt saw me end up in year 10 with 6 old men left.......ooopsie!

But the game I'm on now is far better, have about 50 people in year 7 and lots of food. My advice is don't be over ambitious, build a maximum of 2 buildings in a year and vary your food supply. Also things can get screwed really easily, you may think food is important but if you run out of tools and have a bad harvest you're well on your way to a winter of pain, and even if you fix it the lost time and resources can see you in trouble a year or so later....

But the game I'm on now is far better, have about 50 people in year 7 and lots of food. My advice is don't be over ambitious, build a maximum of 2 buildings in a year and vary your food supply. Also things can get screwed really easily, you may think food is important but if you run out of tools and have a bad harvest you're well on your way to a winter of pain, and even if you fix it the lost time and resources can see you in trouble a year or so later....

Don't forget how bad running out of coats is, or how bad not having a herbalist is or not using the synergy of herbalist/forester/gatherer (remove the stones and iron). Etc. :D

Yea, I started a new game at lunch and made a conscious decision to set up a secondary settlement in some deep forest so my loggers, gatherers and herbalist would have an uninterrupted supply.

The most dangerous thing you can do is expand too quickly because the firewood and food needs ramp up much more quickly than you'd think.

Fishing is better than farming as it's not seasonal.

I'm up to a steady production/use cycle of tools, coats (do sheep occur naturally on the map so you can heard them and harvest wool?) and food. I built a market place mostly cause I wanted to see what it did (gathers all resources into one handy and large location, so make it central to save time). Next task is a Mine I think so I can upgrade to steel tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm really enjoying it, but I'm a little worried over what will keep me playing. Since everything is available from the start, you're essentially playing until you either quit the game or all your settlers die out. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm just wondering will that stop much of the replayability. Has the developer said if he's got any plans for the future?

humanji wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying it, but I'm a little worried over what will keep me playing. Since everything is available from the start, you're essentially playing until you either quit the game or all your settlers die out. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm just wondering will that stop much of the replayability. Has the developer said if he's got any plans for the future?

Harder starts is where I see the replayability. I can forsee a thread on the main forums with mapseeds for hellishly difficult starts on hard difficulty. It'll be played for the same reason people play Dwarf Fortress, some inner need to punish themselves over some past transgression or similar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, but the likes of Dwarf Fortress have a lot more content to make things interesting. All the challenges you face in this game will be the same, just varying degrees.

• Advertisement

I wonder how hard it would be to add a campaign editor. Would be really easy to add scripts and logic to maps at this point.

Anywho, I think this gets a 7/10 from me. Really good and addictive, but as nesf said it lacks a bit in features, it needs more for me to be in the game for the long haul. Much better than SimCity anyday anyway :D

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, but the likes of Dwarf Fortress have a lot more content to make things interesting. All the challenges you face in this game will be the same, just varying degrees.

Turn off *all* mods and play Dwarf Fortress. With a tiny team all that extra content comes at a very steep cost, also DF has been in development at least twice as long as this game if not three times by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

So just looking at this, is it good and worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

whats it like to run on lower end systems? I need to check but i'm fairly sure the laptop will run it but will be at the lower end of requirements.

Nolars wrote: »
    So just looking at this, is it good and worth it?

I think so. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth already, it's taken up pretty much all of my free time for gaming in the past two days and I'm not bored yet.

Disclaimer: I like games like Dwarf Fortress so I'm not normal really. :P

• Advertisement

im loving it so far
    confused as all hell at times but it's slowly coming together

can see myself pouring many hours into this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Bought it meself!
    Good game, my first go kind of went a bit hay wire I only had 4 fisherman and a mass starvation period began, however when enough died things settled down and there was enough food for everyone, so I got a bit more food production going this time and the population is growing again.

It doesn't make any sense tho how one of my fishermen died from starvation? :pac:

Nolars wrote: »
    Bought it meself!
    Good game, my first go kind of went a bit hay wire I only had 4 fisherman and a mass starvation period began, however when enough died things settled down and there was enough food for everyone, so I got a bit more food production going this time and the population is growing again.

It doesn't make any sense tho how one of my fishermen died from starvation? :pac:

Go Gatherer first. Better food production rate (the best) but highly inefficient space wise since they have a very large radius so they don't scale up well. But for your initial settlement they are extremely important because they produce many types of food which prevents ill-health and are fast to set up. Hunters come very soon after that because you will need leather for clothes. Fisheries are a distant third (if you lack seeds) because they're awkward to get a good food rate from (you need as much of that circle over water as is possible). They do scale well though so expect to use them a fair bit when you get bigger, especially on small maps. Farming is great but is risky due to early snows, so you need a good backbone of food production from the other buildings and a large enough food surplus before starting it. Pastures are great but aren't very high production but they aren't as risky as farming crops so you can begin them sooner if you have the animals.

In other news, I restarted on Hard because, well, I hate myself. Lost one household in the first year to starvation, now sitting on 40 pop and quite stable. No crops yet, just some sheep. Mostly trading Warm Coats and Firewood.

So some tips:

1) Food Supply:

Once you get settled, have several empty slots for more hunters, gatherers and fishermen. You'll need these if there's a crop destroyed by frost or a barn or market destroyed by a fire. In these situations you turn your miners, quarrymen and tailors etc into fishers, hunters and gatherers instantly and have a better chance of surviving to the next harvest.

The opposite applies to farming and herding. Fewer farmers means slower harvesting which meaning an early frost destroys more potential food. Fewer herders means more disease in your animals which can wipe out your flock. Either go all-in with these or don't bother and stick to hunter/gatherer mode until you've the population.

2) Education:

Get a school early. Uneducated workers collect fewer resources for each kill/catch/gather. You cannot educate someone once they've reached adulthood so you're stuck with them for 40 years doing sub-par work for you. A school should be an immediate priority after securing a tool supply.

3) Trading:

Venison is your friend. Venison trades for 3, other foods for 1 and you can trade it for seeds (but not livestock). It's easy to put aside 300-500 venison early game and take a big chunk out of the seed price when you want to buy them. It's also another food store if there's a disaster, so that's a plus. You can also regularly dump 100 Venison on a trader for 300 food of another kind. Making it an easy multiplier for your food supply which is nice.

Herbs and Firewood (it trades for much more than logs) are the other early game go-to's. They're cheap/easy to produce and you don't need more than 100 herbs in stock anyway really. Two woodcutters, a good few Foresters and you've another trade good early game to help grab livestock and/or seeds when you need them. You can also go tools here but it's problematic as iron is used for a lot of building work and you don't have a good supply of it until you get a mine up and running with plenty of workers which takes a good sized population. Clothing on the other hand only uses leather and/or wool which have no other uses so once you've a good stock of clothing build up and a steady stream of raw materials you can again use them for trading (this is much slower to get going than herbs or firewood though).

4) Fires and Tornados.

Fires are devastating in this game and so are tornados. Building "Sim City style" is a recipe for disaster due to how fast fire can spread and how slowly your workers can put it out. If fire gets to a market or barn just before winter you're looking at quite a few deaths (this happened to me, though it was recoverable). Build wells fairly liberally. They help versus fire and you seem to need to be very close to the river for it to help a whole lot. Spread your buildings out, especially key storage buildings and housing. I don't know the optimal gap.

Anyway, that's all I got so far, I hope it's of some help to others.

i was gona go read a book today but screw it after reading that, coffee and banished it is

ive got so many resources.. ive no idea what to do

im building quarrys and mines just because...idont even have the people to staff them

--edit
    wasn't building houses so no population growth
    poop

Game is atop the Steam charts for almost 24 hrs now. No mean feat!

Game is atop the Steam charts for almost 24 hrs now. No mean feat!

Well it's pretty much an automatic purchase for Anno fans, Tropico fans and people who were disappointed by the previous Sim City. There's also been heavy streaming going on of the release candidates so people paying attention have had a good chance to get a sense of the game and it has a wonderful word of mouth effect "one guy did all of this except for the music, have a look!"

This is one of those: "Please release some DLC so I can give you some more money as a reward for making a game I actually want" ones. :P

Shiminay wrote: »
    Apologies DCully, I did a quick search (cause I was sure I'd seen a thread alright), but didn't find it :) Thanks for the heads up.

[EDIT]
    I started a thread on the Games forum, not thinking to look here for a thread :o Threads merged now.

Anyway, This game is the latest in a line of "I'll play for an hour and then should think aobut bed - frak how did it become 3am?!" sorts of games :D

So far every town I've had has over-expanded and ran out of food (with a few running out of firewood). I can never seem to keep enough of a stock of logs too despite having a couple of Forester stations out in a big wooded area slightly away from the rest of the town.

No need whatsoever to apologise mate, just pointing you to where it had a thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement