Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• 12-03-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Opps - it's Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Teaser trailer debuted at the GDC yesterday. And it's a prequel.

All the game-sites have info on it, here's the IGN one:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1077037p1.html

Can we be expecting a role-play game like the earlier Deus Ex games have been, or simple lineal first person shooter? - tyxor

Deus Ex: Human Revolution uses the first Deus Ex game, which perfectly married the first-person shooter and roleplaying game, as its reference point
    We also wanted to ensure that our levels are larger and more open than in Invisible War (i.e. Hong Kong in Deus Ex 1).

In terms of being a Deus Ex game, we keep the core gameplay essence alive: that being a hybrid of action-RPG in which the core gameplay mechanics revolve around combat, stealth, hacking, and social aspects. The gameplay is largely designed around giving the player choices which have consequences; the core values are centered on letting players play the game the way they want.
    Yes. Being a prequel to the original game, our story starts about 25 years before the start of the first game.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

prequels make me cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Jazzy wrote: »
    prequels make me cry

Couldnt really give a sh1te about a prequel as long as the game is good

its the thought of Deus Ex 2 that make my mind curl up into a fetal position everytime I think of it, at least the developers are trying to recapture what made Deus Ex 1 so special, fingers crossed they keep their promises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

They should stop making movies and put some work into releasing the game quicker. Cuz I wanna play it! There's been no in-game footage, right?

Also, I wonder will the graphics be better or worse than invisible war, seeing as it is the prequel...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That looks cool,is it out this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

September I think....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

is this DE 3?

or another game in the same vein?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Hope they do better than with IW. I couldn't get into that at all.

I remember being blown away by the trailer , the game was a major disappointment in comparision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Quote from the lead designer "...the original Deus Ex was "kind of slow, There weren't enough exciting, memorable moments. It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=200006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The first one I would place in my top 3 games of all time. Great story and atmosphere from start to finish. I really hope they pull it off with this one. DE2 was such a let down, if it's not broke don't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Burgo wrote: »
    Quote from the lead designer "...the original Deus Ex was "kind of slow, There weren't enough exciting, memorable moments. It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience."

oh dear that sounds ominous

sweet Jesus why does everything have to be dumbed down lately :confused:

is it a severe lack of an attention span or just lazyness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Burgo wrote: »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=200006

I can see this now. It will all be cutscreens... NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://kotaku.com/5491602/first-deus-ex-3-screens/gallery/

Looks nice but dont all pre release screenshots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Looks amazing, but what's with the angels? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

First teaser trailer is up too:

http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6253498/?hd=1&tag=topslot;img;1

I know it doesn't show the gameplay, but it still got me all excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

square enix? were they involved before with deus ex?

steve_ wrote: »
    square enix? were they involved before with deus ex?

Nope but they have made a decent game or 2 before. Ion Storm made the original but are now pretty much dead.

never heard of square enix

steve_ wrote: »
    never heard of square enix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Enix#Video_games

final fantasy uhh 73 i think they on now.

haha i kid i kid, course i know who they are.

I can only hope combat isn't ripped from the FF series! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Deus Ex: Human Revolution threads merged... lets keep all posts in one place, folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

*bump*
    Full cinematic trailer!

Looks pretty cool, can't wait for some gameplay footage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,173 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jazzy wrote: »
    prequels make me cry
    It shouldnt. Prequels can be very good sometimes. Just like Origin Stories. Look at Iron man vs. Iron Man 2 :p Its way more interesting to watch it develop than it is to watch him fart around the screen in a big shiny suit.

Some of my favorite books were prequels, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Butlerian_Jihad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Technically:
    Shadow of the Colossus
    is a prequel to Ico.

Looks like it wouldn't be a half bad film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

So cool. The music is excellent. Gameplay please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

BopNiblets wrote: »
    *bump*
    Full cinematic trailer!

Looks pretty cool, can't wait for some gameplay footage though.

With the buget they have they still couldn't find some decent voice actors. Ugh. Developers far too often forget how important voice acting is. Assassin's Creed 2 had fantastic voice acting, first game in a long time that I can say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Seems like a mixture of MGS and the Matrix to me, which makes me happier than a kid at christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Here's a link to some real time screenshots. I imagine they're screenshots from the console version?
    Zillah wrote: »
    With the buget they have they still couldn't find some decent voice actors. Ugh. Developers far too often forget how important voice acting is. Assassin's Creed 2 had fantastic voice acting, first game in a long time that I can say that.
    Well I guess it's in keeping with the first Deus Ex.

I SCHPEEL MY DREENK!

Haha, I never realised how awful it was playing it.
    "You have a funny way of talking... Pierre"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Absolutely impossible to tell what the game itself will be like based on that trailer, but if nothing else from this & the previous concept art, I am loving the art-style. The technology and design direction is very captivating - apparently the cue taken was the Renaissance period of European history which you really see in the architecture & clothing. The music in the trailer was quite apt too, a nice mix of the original Deus Ex music.

My only real concerns about the game are:
    1. Is it going to be as open as Deus Ex 1 - despite being linear there were so many ways to approach problems in this game. Talking your way out of / into a problem was such fun, I'd hate it the "choice" was reduced to a generic & signposted A / B scenario
    2. I also loved just wandering the different cities and finding quests / sub-plots to get involved with; again I hope this won't disappear.
    3. Sorta the same as #1, I have an awful feeling that in an attempt to appeal to the CoD-junkies and bloodhounds that Eidos will make this too combat heavy. Lord only knows the trailer was full of fightin' & so I'd hate if again the developers made levels ala the new Splinter Cell, where yes you could try sneaking your way along but really you have to shoot your way through.
    4. I hope they don't p*ss all over or contradict the originals storyline. I imagine it's a given that a Denton cameo might be forthcoming, but I hope this game at least segues nicely into the first game.

I'm genuinely excited about this game and just on a visual and audio level it has my interest and attention. But I don't think the video game world is the same as the one from 10 years ago - I can't help feeling that it'll be a pastiche of a classic, rather than an evolution.

Edit: I only now noticed those NeoGAF screenshots - so yeah, it certainly looks like it's going to be a series of combat-heavy levels. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Niska wrote: »
    Opps - it's Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Teaser trailer debuted at the GDC yesterday. And it's a prequel.

All the game-sites have info on it, here's the IGN one:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1077037p1.html

4 months agos click news that

i also accidentally leaked that it was multiformat

i got in trouble for that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Eurogamer have a preview up, along with a Q&A session to answer those important fan-questions:

Preview:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-human-revolution-preview

Q&A:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-fan-service-article
    And that - somewhat early on in what will be a glowing preview of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, by the way - is the message I want to convey. This is, recognisably and joyfully, a true Deus Ex game - we can stop worrying and start tentative negotiation with the hype train.

Preview reads promisingly good, anyone got any idea on specs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll hold off and wait for some gameplay video's before judging this. Even with that article, i have a feeling it will pander to the recent generation and dumb things down a bit. I still haven't forgiven Deus Ex 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Its going to be awesome! Im going to play the first 2 again!

AWESOME!

Deus Ex is the game i played as a teenager that made me realise that all games werent made for teenagers.

Deus Ex 2 made me realise that too many gmaes are made for teenagers.

This shall restore my belief that the best games are not built for teenagers. Please be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You could just do what I do:
    Turn down all settings, and hope for the best. :)

From the screenshots, it doesn't look *that* advanced, graphics-wise. Certainly nothing beyond current gen games.

The devs say they're using a "heavily" modified version of the Tomb Raider: Underworld engine, so I guess use those specs as a rough guideline for now until we see otherwise?
    I took this from the Tomb Raider: Underworld page on Steam:

o Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP (admin rights required)/Microsoft Windows Vista (admin rights required)
    o Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    o Memory: 2 GB system memory
    o Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX or ATI HD4800
    o Sound Card: Direct X 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
    o Hard Drive Space: 8 GB Free Space
    o Controller: Microsoft Xbox360 Controller

Update: some sneaky cam footage has appeared, taken from the supposedly behind-closed-doors presentation at E3:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/21/deus-ex-hr-illicit-e3-wobblecam/
    It looks bladeunner'y :)

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Update: some sneaky cam footage has appeared, taken from the supposedly behind-closed-doors presentation at E3:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/21/deus-ex-hr-illicit-e3-wobblecam/
    It looks bladeunner'y :)
    That looks f*cking awesome. My only misgivings would be for the way it switches to a third person perspective for certain actions and the cut scenes. But I'm sure I can live with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks Deus Ex-y!

(say that in a Scottish accent :P)

Awww, it has been taken down: but needless to say it has cropped up on YouTube already.
    humanji wrote: »
    That looks f*cking awesome. My only misgivings would be for the way it switches to a third person perspective for certain actions and the cut scenes. But I'm sure I can live with it.

Well the cut scenes in Deus Ex 1 were in 3rd person so at least they're being that faithful :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Never played Deus Ex but was told I absolutely had to. Graphics are so bad now though, finding it hard to get into it (way too many games on the go atm doesn't help things!)

I love the look of this, reminds me of the bladerunner game which I loved.

This has so much potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Never played Deus Ex but was told I absolutely had to. Graphics are so bad now though, finding it hard to get into it (way too many games on the go atm doesn't help things!)

Try it with the DX10 renderer, which at least gives you high resolution/widescreen options plus other graphical niceities:

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Those videos dont seem to be working for me. Here they are again if anyones interested

http://deusex-humanrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/06/e3-2010-leaked-gameplay.html

Deus ex is in my top 3 games of all time. It is brilliant and id suggest anyone whos never played it to do so. Nevermind the graphics the game is just incredible.

I really hope human revolution doesnt end up being a letdown. Not sure I like all these cutscene takedowns. The game looks really easy from what ive seen of it so far.

The guy talking in the leaked footage states that you can go through the entire game without killing anyone so that looks promising.

2011 is a good bit off though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Incidentally, today is Deus Ex's 10th anniversary:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/22/happy-deus-ex-day

I was about half-way through my third play of it which I started a month or two ago - must go revisit it!

P.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hmm starting to get little tingles of excitement about this game, I was not getting up hopes up too much up to now.

joe123 wrote: »
    I really hope human revolution doesnt end up being a letdown. Not sure I like all these cutscene takedowns. The game looks really easy from what ive seen of it so far.

Yes, the only minus for me are those takedowns - so we have to watch those cut-scenes every single time we stealth-kill or stealth-incapacitate? that would get annoying fast.

As for the game looking easy, well don't forget it's a private, press-only demonstration of the game, potentially demo'ed by managers who don't game. It stands to reason the game is set at easy so the demonstrator can whizz through it on cue without having to pause. It's arguable that section of the game will even feature in the final game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great gameplay demo, would love to see HD version. Agreed, the cutscenes for takedowns will get annoying especially as there seems to be a lot of silent takedowns. I liked the double take down though. Hopefully devs will scale this back a bit, they do have til next year to get anough feedback anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement