Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Realigning dish

• 20-10-2004 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

I recently moved house and there is an existing satellite dish, which I am interested in hooking up to a Free-to-view receiver.

How can I find out what satellite the dish is pointing at? How hard is it to redirect the dish? presumably it involves clambering around on the roof with hilarious/fatal consequences?

The previous tenants apparently wanted to watch brazilian tv (they were from Brazil) if this gives anyone any idea where the dish might be pointed.

I got on to satellite.ie to ask if there was any way of trying out one of their boxes to see if I could pick up anything and got a PFO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

When I moved to my new House the dish on that house was pointed to Hotbird 13 east. I just attached my digibox to the dish and looked in the Network ID in the Signal Test screen to identify the coordinate the dish was at.

Then knowing the dish was at 13e I used SWM Link from http://www.smw.se/smwlink/smwlink.htm to calculate the direction needed to align the dish using a compass and the correct latitude and longitude for my location. To get the Latitude and longitude I used http://www.multimap.com it lists the coordinates in the map information section when you click on a location on the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

mother of jaysus you would want to be a mountaineer to work that one out, or if you were a member of the SAS, it might help ;)

Cranoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You could always try Rod Hull Arials at Free Phone 1800 WATCH OUT. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

magpie wrote:
    The previous tenants apparently wanted to watch brazilian tv (they were from Brazil) if this gives anyone any idea where the dish might be pointed..
    Compare it to local SKY dishes.

Unless it is huge it's probably pointing at 13E or 19.2E 'cos that where the portugese and spanish language channels are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

You could always try Rod Hull Arials at Free Phone 1800 WATCH OUT.
    mother of jaysus you would want to be a mountaineer to work that one out, or if you were a member of the SAS, it might help

My sentiments exactly!

I'll have a shifty and see where the local scumbags... I mean my nieghbours have their SKY antennae pointed.

Which direction do SKY dishes point?

Anyone know a loony with a ladder who'd be willing to do this for me?

EDIT: or even better the number of the guy who hooks you up with NTL on the QT for €50. Purely for academic/research purposes to see if this creature of legend exists of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

magpie wrote:
    The previous tenants apparently wanted to watch brazilian tv (they were from Brazil) if this gives anyone any idea where the dish might be pointed.
    There is a Brazilian channel on Astra 28.2 ie the $ky satellite!!!
    Why not buy the FTA receiver anyway as you are going to use it.
    Normally the $ky dish will point where the sun is at 11am.
    Let us know how you get on!!! :D:D:D

Advertisement