Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodline [Netflix]

Options
  • 23-10-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sissy Spacek has joined the untitled Netflix drama starring Kyle Chandler and Linda Cardellini, TVLine reports.
    The Oscar-winning actress will play Chandler and Cardellini's mother in the thriller from Damages creators Todd A. Kessler, Daniel Zelman and Glenn Kessler.
    The 13-episode series tells the story of a family of adult siblings whose secrets resurface when the black sheep oldest brother returns home Source

All 13 episodes will be released in March 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Released on March 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thrill wrote: »
    Trailer for Netflix Bloodline

The series premiers March 20 on Netflix

Kyle Chandler back on tv, yes yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

"Bloodline" is a dramatic thriller that explores the demons lurking beneath the surface of a contemporary American family. The Rayburns are hard-working pillars of their Florida Keys community. But when the black sheep son comes home for the 45th anniversary of his parents' hotel, he threatens to expose the Rayburns' dark secrets and shameful past, pushing his siblings to the limits of family loyalty.

From the creators of DAMAGES comes BLOODLINE, a new Netflix original series starring Kyle Chandler, Ben Mendelsohn, Linda Cardellini, Norbert Leo Butz, Jacinda Barrett, Jamie McShane, Enrique Murciano, with Sam Shepard, and Sissy Spacek.
    All episodes available March 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

That's got to be one of the best casts on TV. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Not long to go now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Coach Sheriff Eric Taylor with a Metallica cover.

Reminds me a bit of The Affair, beautiful seaside location, only...
    I'm interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"From the creators of Damages..."

All I needed to know. I'll be tuning in. Kyle Chandler is usually excellent too so I have high hopes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fire and Ice podcast gave it a fairly favourable review. Mostly on the casting side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Epic series of explosions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

• Advertisement

Some initial thoughts from the first episode. Quick memo, Coach Taylor drops the f bomb somewhat!

A storm draped credits sets things up from the get go. Symbolic of what's to come and the family mood. There are internal discussions/protocols in an effort to keep the elders happy. Whilst things are said out loud (speaking of such matters, narration - undecided on that), there's a sense that some are kept in reserve.

In the world of opposites, most of the screen time involves the black sheep of the family, the brother, Danny. He's got pretty much nothing. No stability, questionable friendships and sobriety. I got the feeling he might be playing the long con, but I think you can rule that out. The rest of the Rayburns are, excuse the watery pun, more anchored. They've got some resources, local recognition, a business, each other, and an intoxicating shoreside paradise. The other portion of the episode is largely through the eyes of Chandler's character, John, who despite having a badge and a gun, isn't spending much time in that role, so far. Most of the family weight falls on his shoulders, though. Even with the setting, water is everywhere and we're in the family swamp as much as the Florida one.

With some possible hints through the pilot, and like many shows before it, the episode climaxes with the hook of what, and teases the big one - why? Ultimately, I suppose the question for the viewer is whether you want to spend time with these people? For me, it's a yes, but perhaps not without caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Looking forward to it, will give it a watch later this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Watched the first 3 episodes, decent if not spectacular so far. Heavy on the exposition, and liberal use of the Damages flash-forward trope.

Ben Mendelsohn is terrific as Danny, always a great underrated actor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Have to agree. Watched the second episode just there and it's really drawing me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm on episode 4. It's a slow watch, the story-line takes time to unfold (unlike the stuff I usually go for - like BB, Sopranos, etc.), yet I can't stop watching it. Enjoying the ride and the setting - the Florida Keys - really adds to it's allure (golden sands, blue ocean,bliss), How many episodes have people watched?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭basillarkin

On to the sixth episode now, good show and after picking up after a slow start. Just wanted to 2nd the acting if Ben Mendelsjohn. Top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

We're up to episode 8, it's still pretty good.

It appears from early on that you know how it ends and then all the black holes are getting filled in each episode.

Good acting, the Danny character swings between likeable and not depending what you find out in each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Really really like this show, its a slow burner but the cast and their interaction with each other really make the episodes click.

Mendelsohn is great as is Sam Shepherd and Coach is awesome as always.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

up to episode 11 and boy is this a good show - even after everything danny has done he still draws your sympathy in every now and again, sign of a great performance and a well-written show that those little moments catch you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

Really wanted to like this. Great cast, and I enjoyed the first four or five episodes.

Had it been a tighter six/seven episode series, like True Detective, it could've been great. I just didn't think they had enough material in the story to fill thirteen episodes, and it showed. Lots of repetition, and scenes that hit the same points of information again and again.

The characters started out as intriguing and reasonably realistic, but I found them devolving into archetype as the season went on.

Nowhere near the worst thing I've ever watched, but it was more of a chore to finish than I would've imagined; disappointing, since I was really lashing through the early episodes, and interested to see what happened.

Great performances - just wish the writing had been a little better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought this was great, Mendelsohn has to win some awards for his performances. Absolutely brilliant.

Only thing is I can't see how they're going to get a 2nd season out of it. For one thing, the best character is no longer in it!

Needs more Chloë Sevigny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Almost finished this. Really enjoying it. Love the scenes between Danny & John. It popped up on Netflix and I said I'd give it a go. So glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Just finished the whole series now....got better and better as the season went on; must say I'm kinda traumatised by the the ending though................................
    I'm especially surprised with regards to how calm and collected the siblings were when they covered up the murder - the fake phone call from Dannys' cell, the text message, trashing the apartment, putting Danny in the suit, pretending he was going to the pier ceremony - they were effectively acting like sociopaths, especially John! (which surprised me as he always appeared 'more holier than thou' and squeaky clean throughout the majority of the series) - guess you could say the were as bad as Danny in many ways, covering their asses - one in the same. Also when the detective guy revealed to the mother "Your children are lying to you"....Dun dun dun....chilling stuff.

Also, initially I thought that it was a shame that the relationship between the sister and the hot cop Marco didn't work out, even though she did cheat, I actually felt sorry for her, but after her infallible performance with regards to covering up the brothers murder, I have decided the hot cop is better off without her!
    :pac::pac:

I really liked how the series showed that the idealistic, clean-cut and wholesome family presented in the first episode were far from wholesome.

Now to watch a comedy to still my reeling mind! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is this more family drama or more crime/thriller?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Is this more family drama or more crime/thriller?

All of the above tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Finished this over the weekend, I thought it was pretty decent.

I read yesterday that Ben Mendelsohn is in the new Star Wars, hope he gets a bounce from it, he was very good in Bloodline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Just finished this this evening. Really enjoyed it. It probably only works as well as it does because of the Netflix format as there were a fair few episodes around the middle of the show that were really just setting up the relationships and backgrounds of the characters and then slowly picking away at them, something which I'd imagine would be very frustrating if you had to wait a week between episodes. It very much paid off for me though as I thought the acting was excellent and that's what kept it together during the "family drama" portions of the show. It also paid off as when they started to ratchet things up towards the end I was properly sucked in to the point where I wanted to lamp Danny across the head myself. He really flipped back and forth between likeable and dislikeable for long stretches but, even though I still felt completely sorry for him towards the end, I hated the bastard. And felt slightly guilty then when he died.
    Sort of feel it should have stayed as a one season show though. The way they covered it up at the very end was great.

• Advertisement

Does every episode feature bottles of Heineken? :pac:

Advertisement