Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovesick (formerly Scrotal Recall) [Channel 4/Netflix]

Options
  • 23-10-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find a thread on this.

Anyone watching this series? It's 4 episodes in and has had a few giggles.

It follows Dylan, a twenty-something year old who traces back through his sexual history to find out how he contracted chlamydia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Yep, liking this for the giggles and the fit birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Don't think it's worth starting a new thread although the name of this one should probably be changed to match the show. To be honest I'm not expecting much response but it does seem to have a strong following in the Netflix Recommendations thread.

Aaaaaaanyway, I've just finished the 3rd season on Netflix and I love this show, I love the characters and that it's developed into being a show about the main four rather than just Dylan and Evie
    I love that they didn't contrive a way to drive them apart just to create drama for season 4 (assuming there is one),
    I thought that's where they were going with Adal.

One of the highlights for me though in the last two seasons has been the development and exploration of Luke's character, it's been so enjoyable to explore his past because he started off as fairly two dimensional. That said, I did have some issues with how we left him this season, so I am going to have a little rant here;
    Jonesy should absolutely not have turned up in Luke's room.
    It's a cop-out and it's a cop-out written by a man (I checked and all three writing credits for this episode are male). I know the show is a romantic comedy and I love a happy ending and I want Luke to get his happy ending but not at the expense of other characters. There are hints that Jonesy has issues to a similar degree as Luke and that she's also bottling up her emotions and there are subtle clues that she might have feelings for Luke but I don't think there's been enough to warrant that ending and for it to come after her speech about being happy with her life just didn't sit well with me. I think the writers were trying to go for a 'she's fooling herself' angle but because we didn't get enough time with her to explore that, it felt more like they were saying the only possible happy ending is a romantic one. Whereas I think it would have been really brave had Jonesy actually just been happy with her life and also it would have been really interesting to see where they'd go with Luke because the current situation has him being rewarded sexually and romantically for expressing his emotions when really Luke's problem is his inability to deal with his emotions and in particular rejection. His whole life thus far has been a result of his failure to deal with the rejection of his ex on the night he proposed and here the writers had an opportunity to demonstrate how he's grown via a second rejection for him to actually deal with rather than bottle it up again; but instead we see that he hasn't actually grown and is doing the exact same thing he did last time with the exact same girl - perfect opportunity for his friends to intervene and point out the obvious cycle. But instead we get Jonesy :rolleyes:

Sorry about the rant, as I said at the beginning I really love this show (why else would I bingewatch the third season in one sitting) and I really enjoyed the season but that scene really annoyed me. Very interested to see where they go with a fourth season if it does get renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Love this little show, I think changing the name was a good idea ....I stopped myself totally devouring the new series yesterday...Luke is a great character he was previously rather one dimensional but has really grown as show has gone on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Cracking show alright, looking forward to watching this

Advertisement