Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerry surf

Options
  • 06-10-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Went to banna beach today but it was a bit messy. Any good spots in kerry tomorrow? Magicseaweed said today would be good but both Banna and Inch weren't great. Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Wind looks to be onshore in kerry tomor... So not great. For whatever reason clare seem s to be crosd shore medium wind early tomor so thst looks best...
    Magicseaweed gets it wrong a lot. Windguru is better

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

You could check out Gowlane. It'll be an offshore wind, so it should be clean.
    But given that the swell is still quite big you'll probably have quite a long paddle out.

And definitely don't go when it's low tide.
    Just recently I went in when it was low tide and every time a set came all waves closed out at the same time and quite far out.
    Hightide usually has one or two peaks at least, so you should get some waves that break nicely.

You can always check the webcam before going as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Twas big today in lahinch. prob 5 feet and very fast. 11sec period... Caught some nice waves and got some beat downs too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I dont think magicseaweed gets it 'wrong' as such. You have to apply a little bit of local knowledge to the forecast. I have my local calibrated and now its always bang on for swell height. Use the calibrated forecast and the swell/wind direction coupled with the tide state and you should get a pretty good idea of whats gonna happen at the beach. I also find that previous days swell/storms affect the sand banks so the same swell can actually look different from one day to the next. For my local, always give it a day after a storm for the sand banks to settle down and then it'll be banging if the wind plays ball.

That being said though, mother nature is fickle and what's forecast might not actually happen so you can expect all forecasts to be off sometimes.

Advertisement