Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape vs Other Injuries

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

That’s certainly true Manach, but think about why you had to post that. There is nothing challenging in what you said, it is pretty much common sense. So why did it need posting?

How can law students get to the point where they will campaign to sabotage their own education? How can they be so ignorant of the philosophy behind the legal system that they utterly fail to realise their campaign is a repudiation of almost everything the justice system is supposed to stand for?

That’s the bit that, in this specific case, I can’t wrap my head around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Manach wrote: »
    Speaking solely from my own experience of how such subjects are taught in law classes, it is usually done with a measure of sensitivity. However due to the nature of legal cases surrounding such crimes where all relevant evidential issues have to be evaluated, one could understand how such triggering issues might be raised. But if one has to have an understanding of such crimes, not being able to fully contextualise would be a disserve to the victims and students.

Sure. But if you have a fear of the sight of blood, should you really be in med school and expect them to stop teaching surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,680 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I've been curious for some time why rape gets so much attention vs other crimes against the person. For example - if you are raped you can turn to the rape crisis centre. With counselling you can very potentially put it behind and move on with your life.

However, if you get attacked in an example where you lose your eyesight or have your leg amputated, why does that not get the equivalent support? If you end up paralysed like Guido Nasi, why do we have a rape crisis centre instead of a victim crisis centre?

Even in a non crime setting, we have people like Guido but who are in the same position because of an accident, suffering but without the equivalent support system.

How much research have you actually put into this?

Because you're ignoring the many, many support services and structures there are in place for people who have experienced assault or injury through no fault of their own.

My point is if you get raped or stabbed, its very traumatic. But rape is held up singularly more than if you nearly die from blood loss. Is this not questionable?

Your question is premised upon a false perception. It's your perception that's questionable, not which issue is necessarily more deserving of attention than the other. How reductionist in one's thought processes does one have to be to draw comparisons between how rape and losing their eyesight in one eye is perceived in society?

I'll give you a hint - there's no social stigma attached to losing your eyesight in one eye as there is to having your humanity violated by being raped and left wondering if you were in some way responsible for what was forced upon you against your will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I think the treatment and counselling for rape victims is a testament to people who have worked for it and fair play to them. It's not fair to blame them because victims of other crimes don't get the same help.

Advertisement