Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holyhead-Dublin: Can I just turn up, no booking?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Need to collect a car in London on Tuesday, and bring it back to Ireland.

Looking on the web, there's a ferry at 1730 and another at 2130 from holyhead, however one is Stena Line, the other is Irish Ferries.

Is there a penalty applied to just arriving at the port and paying to use the ferry, that way if I don't make the 1715 sailing I can just take the 2130?

(I bet if I book the 1715 I'll miss it, and if I book the 2130 I'll be sitting in Holyhead at 1630 watching the 1715 boarding)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Yes, you can just turn up at the docks and get the next available ferry (room permitting of course).

Not sure what you mean by penalty but it might cost you a tenner or something extra to buy your ticket at the dock, but it won't be much of a difference - unlike an airline ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Yep, thats what i meant, airlines like to charge a fortune for last minute arrivals to the ticket desk.

There's a 30 euro saving by booking online, I might pull in to a McDonalds for the wifi and book the ferry an hour before getting to Holyhead.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

From what I remember you can't book same day Ferries online.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some ferry companies allow you to travel on earlier / later services if your schedule changes. If you end up on a peak-time ferry, there may be a surcharge. Peak-time for ferries may not be the same as for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

You'll have no problem getting on, I travelled last week, about 30 cars on board! Mid week is cheaper but you will pay more just turning up. Not sure when prices go up but I've been caught out leaving until last minute. Give the ferry company a buzz and see what they say. On Irish Ferries it's €15 to amend a booking plus any fare difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement