Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spaces changed from free to pay and display

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The council (Carlow) came into our office on Friday to ask us not to park in the area outside our office door for both today and yesterday as they were re-surfacing. It's a bit of road that is seperated from the adjacent roadway by a path/grass verge, and has no through traffic as its locked off at both ends. However, about 70% of it is pay and display, while a small portion outside my office is free (it's an awkward shape and ourselves and a few other adjacent business's park there as we can ask each other to move if blocking one another in).

Anyway, this morning they're painting the lines on the previously free bit and the road painters say the parking meters will now affect this portion.

Can they just do this, or should it require planning? Local permission?

Or do I just have to be grateful for the few good years (about 20) we've had of free parking and get on with it?

I'd prefer if they let us buy a residents disc, as that would be a fair solution (most of the street is residential) but we're a business so might not be allowed.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are unlikely to get a resident's permit for a business! But it's up to the local authority.

As far as I know, they can paint those lines where they like. I would get on to the local authority pretty quickly if this is a big issue for your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

get a look at the land reg maps for the site of the business park, there's a good chance that this area isn't public land, like a road is, as the grass separates it, check this asap.
    And I'm pretty sure that the council would have to have published the notice of converting any street area to pay parking, as they'd have to update the by-laws, and that requires publication in the Iris Offiguil.
    Also, when you say locked, do you mean gated, or that's it's loop of the main road?

My guess is the council is trying to pull a quick one, and grab any space they can, even if not kosher for them.

(road painters ain't experts, a quick google will show that as a group, spelling and accuracy is not to be expected)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is there a loading bay??? if not complain like **** and get councillors onto it too

• Registered Users Posts: 78,286 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Adding lines on public roads is usually a matter for the council manager, usually with the agreement of the area committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Victor wrote: »
    Adding lines on public roads is usually a matter for the council manager, usually with the agreement of the area committee.
    Only if reference to that road is made in the by-laws, they cannot start to charge in any area with the by-laws stating the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,286 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No. Only some councils refer to specific streets in their bye-laws, which tends to be more for hte purpose of defining the tariff than which actual spaces need to pay. http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Pages/DublinCityCouncilParkingControl(Amendment)ByeLaws.aspx

I can't find the "Carlow Town Traffic and Parking Bye Laws 2010" on-line.

Advertisement