Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speeding

Options
  • 01-11-2006 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Does anybody have any idea how long it takes to receive a fine and penalty notice in the post after been caught speeding by a "gatso"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

paulam wrote:
    Does anybody have any idea how long it takes to receive a fine and penalty notice in the post after been caught speeding by a "gatso"?
    I think you must get notification within 6 months from the date of the offence but I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paulam

I think you must get notification within 6 months from the date of the offence but I'm open to correction on that.

Thanks.

Anybody know how these vans operate? Is the camera at the front or back? The van was parked on the opposite side of the road that i was travelling and was facing in the direction that i was coming from. Do they tend to focus on the lane that they are parked beside? Coming from a 80km zone into a 60km zone and van was parked just inside the 60 zone. Not too sure if it was a gatso just seen a white van on the side of the road in Julianstown. Not even sure if I was above the limit but doubt enters your head when you pass these vans.

Appreciate any feedback.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The talivan generally take pictures from the back but can take pics from the front of the van.
    It seems (I have direct experience yet!) that it can take from a few weeks to a few months for the notification of the offence to reach you. Once you get this you will opt to pay the fine or go to court. Assuming you admit your guilt straight away you will be sent a letter from the Dept of Transport (again a few weeks or months) notifying you of your points, when they start and when they expire. Until you get this letter you have no points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no time limit, but a prosecution must commence within 6 months. In theory 3 months is the practical limit for the following reasons:
    1. You have 28 days to name someone else.
    2. That the person named has 56 days to pay. A prosecution can't start until the 56 days are expired.

Allow a week or so between naming someone else and a new notice being issued and 3 months can be killed in this manner. So in order to start a prosecution within 6 months, 3 months is the longest they can wait. Normally 2 months would be the longest for the reasons stated above.

If I received a notice for an offence that happened 4 months ago, I could safely bin the notice safe in the knowledge by the time the 56 days have expired it will be over the 6 month limit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

paulam wrote:
    Anybody know how these vans operate? Is the camera at the front or back? The van was parked on the opposite side of the road that i was travelling and was facing in the direction that i was coming from
    The camera is usually positioned at the rear and the van is facing the same direction that the traffic it is monitoring. The van that that you saw was probably focused on traffic coming the other way.

Here's an example of a GATSO on the M1:

• Advertisement

Shooting fish in a barrel there!

As I mentioned before, these vans can also have a camera mounted in the cab according to a garda friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kbannon wrote:
    Shooting fish in a barrel there!

As I mentioned before, these vans can also have a camera mounted in the cab according to a garda friend!
    To catch the speeding motorcyclists no doubt. :)

and those who floor it once they pass by the back of the van!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

yeah, it looks like a case of "fish in a barrel"

Why don't they put those things where the REAL bad driving happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

SeanW wrote:

Doesn't matter where they put them, they'll only detect speeding not bad driving...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SeanW wrote:

Because that's not the objective (though I agree it SHOULD be!). THe aim here is to be seeing to do something but really just raising statistics and revenue so the government can turn around and point to "how well it's working" come election time.

Never forget the ultimate aim of virtually all politicians in this country is to get in power and stay there. It has nothing to do with serving the public who elected them.

Advertisement