Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to i connect these [UPC outside to incoming coax]

• 12-04-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

jimworkfoneapr132013-04-12004640x480.jpg

Pic is of the fascia mounted UPC fibre optic cable where my coax comes out from my attic space and screws into. I'm fairly sure after screwing this up that my coax isnt actually making contact with anything in there, there must be another fitting I'm needing. Reason is, I amn't getting any signal down inside at the new wifi box nor tv box.

?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

JMSE wrote: »
    jimworkfoneapr132013-04-12004640x480.jpg

Pic is of the fascia mounted UPC fibre optic cable where my coax comes out from my attic space and screws into. I'm fairly sure after screwing this up that my coax isnt actually making contact with anything in there, there must be another fitting I'm needing. Reason is, I amn't getting any signal down inside at the new wifi box nor tv box.

?????

Ring UPC. They'll sort ye. You aren't allowed touch that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Right so. But I see they had my old coax cable just screwed into it so now am trying to do my self install, getting no signal, so thought I'd run a brand new cable out. UPC are gonna want 90euro for a call out.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You cannot connect the cable as there is 4 anti-theft devices covering the connectors which need a special tool to remove, if you are paying for a service how did they connect you in the first place??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

1) that's all coax there's no fibre beyond the local UPC street cabinet.

2) connecting anything to that is illegal and theft of cable services. If you want cable, call then up, pay and they'll connect you. The tap is locked.

No you're all getting the wrong end of the stick.

I called, I joined up as a new customer, I paid up, they DPD'd the self install kit last Monday. All I needed according to them was a connection point inside.

Now its Friday evening (was) and I've the time to self-install, but not so straight forward it transpires as theres this anti-theft device preventing my signal coming down my coax. Why dont they send a techie around to remove the anti-theft locks when somebody joins and pays up? Seems logical to me captain.

• Advertisement

Self-install is meant for a situation where there's a UPC socket live in your house i.e. in the living room or wherever.

If it's been disconnected outside, you need to call them and get an technician out to install the line into your house again.

They don't expect you to climb a ladder ! Sounds like a database error that they didn't know the line was disconnected outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,544 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even with self install, they'll send someone out if the cable drop is showing on their system as particularly old it appears - at least I and someone else I know who recently reconnected had a call after signing up to arrange someone to inspect, and in my case replace the entire cable from the tap. This was free, so I'd be amazed if they charge you to get a drop put in seeing as they clearly thought there was one.

Call 1908 (free number) they'll get ya sorted! Or, post on the talk to UPC forum over in the business section of boards.ie they've verified reps there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭ted1

All I needed according to them was a connection point inside.

Here lies the confussion, you do not have a connection point inside.

I persume that you ordered over the phone and they said "All you need is a connection point inside"

to chih you replied "yes Ok" where you shoudl have said "i do not have a connection point inside"

Self install is meant where all connections are already in place, if you cannot avail of a self install UPC send out a 3rd party company hence why there is a fee for the install its normally €50 ..

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Here lies the confussion, you do not have a connection point inside.

I persume that you ordered over the phone and they said "All you need is a connection point inside"

to chih you replied "yes Ok" where you shoudl have said "i do not have a connection point inside"

Ah ted, presumption is the mother of all f**ckups :)

I 'chatted' with them on their online system and Emma asked if I had a connection point inside to which I replied 'yes' because I do. Then I ordered via the website and the question came up there too. There was no mention of how things looked up at the eaves of the roof....

Tis outside up at the fascia board where I have no control over, that the connection is not. Anyway, all will be well this time tomorrow I expect as an engineer is coming out. Should be a handy 5 minute fix, hate not being able/allowed to do it myself as I come out in a rash when it comes to having anybody do anything around my own place.

Thanks for all the contribs one and all ! Looking forward to dumping the 02 dongle.

Should be a handy 5 minute fix, hate not being able/allowed to do it myself as I come out in a rash when it comes to having anybody do anything around my own place.

Thanks for all the contribs one and all ! Looking forward to dumping the 02 dongle.

May not necessarily be a 5min fix, unless the cabling already in place is fairly new and of good standard CT100 minimum for UPC then it will be replaced and more than likely be ran externally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hate not being able/allowed to do it myself as I come out in a rash when it comes to having anybody do anything around my own place.

QUOTE]
    I know the feeling.

I used to work for Upc and can tell u I have seen more damage done to the tap's when people have tried to connect themselves especially when using tools such as coat hangers to try and remove the anti-thefts. I for one am completely against self installs's except when in apartment blocks that are pre-wired as a lot of people don't know what they are doing, and don't have any experience of climbing ladders and run cables anyway possible.

I am always getting calls from people who attempt to do the self installs first alot of people dont even know they are requesting this. In holland 90% of Upc connections are self installs and UPC have been trying this procedure here for yrs. There attitude was when some1 disconnect leave the old cable in place. Most of the times this is now reused by sky installers or for saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ray007

Hi

I got UPC broadband a month ago and unfortunately the technician has disconnected my neighbours TV cable and she is not happy. Is this normal? I have the same picture as above and there are 2 cables hanging(that go into her house).
    Is this normal? Does this make sense? And why her tv signal would go through that box? Is it not only for broadband?

Thanks a million
    R

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ray007 wrote: »
    Hi

I got UPC broadband a month ago and unfortunately the technician has disconnected my neighbours TV cable and she is not happy. Is this normal? I have the same picture as above and there are 2 cables hanging(that go into her house).
    Is this normal? Does this make sense? And why her tv signal would go through that box? Is it not only for broadband?

Thanks a million
    R

Maybe they meant to disconnect her? :D Not your problem really. If you ring up UPC, they'll probably just advise your neighbour to contact them directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,544 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If she hasn't contacted them in an entire month its very likely she isn't paying and was using a drop accidentally left connected. Not your problem in any circumstances anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Upc don't seem to lock the connections anymore when they disconnect people so the call centre staff don't ask (in my experience)

We had the same situation last year, told them it was locked after the self install arrived and they were going to send someone out for free but we were able to unscrew it by hand and everything worked since then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

At one point in Cablelink days their takeup in homes passed was so high that when you cancelled they assumed you were moving, closed your account and opened a new one in the name of "The New Customer". Actual disconnections were rare and almost always done because someone had fallen heavily into arrears.

Advertisement