Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO Now???

• 11-04-2015 6:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is HBO Now only available i the USA.

I can't find any information that states what regions it is open to, like if it is available in Ireland or not.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Hi,

I can't find any information that states what regions it is open to, like if it is available in Ireland or not.

Thanks.

From their order page.
    HBO NOWSM is only accessible in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories where a high-speed broadband connection is available. Minimum 3G connection is required for viewing on mobile devices. HBO NOWSM is available through participating partners. Prices may vary for participating partners. HBO®, HBO NOWSM and related channels and services marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc. All devices, titles and related trademarks are property of their respective owners.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

All their rights are tied up with Sky for a number of years, no hope of it launching here any time soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

icdg wrote: »
    All their rights are tied up with Sky for a number of years, no hope of it launching here any time soon.

Any idea how many years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

HBO Now will never be available here unless Sky get a licence from them to have the name on apps/website for viewing via streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

I just signed up for their free trial and am in/from Ireland. I have unblockus though

• Advertisement

I just signed up for their free trial and am in/from Ireland. I have unblockus though

Yeah but thats trickery & unfortunately for some unknown reason we can't discuss that here.

I use it too & it rocks.

Mallagio wrote: »
    HBO Now will never be available here unless Sky get a licence from them to have the name on apps/website for viewing via streaming.

But aren't sky heading towards obsolescence, just like American cable providers, with the rise of streaming and their own ever increasing prices? Literally the only hope sky have is sports since everyone knows they can get movies elsewhere nowadays

But aren't sky heading towards obsolescence, just like American cable providers, with the rise of streaming and their own ever increasing prices? Literally the only hope sky have is sports since everyone knows they can get movies elsewhere nowadays

Absolutely, without the Premier League Sky would be gone, it's a massive bubble that will burst some day.

Sky's own streaming service Now TV is wonderful & can be used here no problem, it has loads of HBO produced shows on demand & is cheap as chips. Can't be bought here yet & I got mine in via fleabay UK.

Apparently Now TV will really be pushed this year and full HD box will be made available.

Mallagio wrote: »
    Absolutely, without the Premier League Sky would be gone, it's a massive bubble that will burst some day.

Sky's own streaming service Now TV is wonderful & can be used here no problem, it has loads of HBO produced shows on demand & is cheap as chips. Can't be bought here yet & I got mine in via fleabay UK.

Apparently Now TV will really be pushed this year and full HD box will be made available.

What are the costs though? If it's additional charges to already subscribed sky customers then fuk that

They'll have to do better than just full HD as well, Netflix can already support 4K and I'm sure Amazon prime can/will do the same

Any idea how many years?

Five I believe, one year left.

There's no point to Now TV for Sky customers - you aren't the target market, it is for pay-TV refuseniks. And isn't officially available here (it does work, but Sky are liable to cut you off if they find out you are ROI based as its against the T&Cs. Not sure why they don't geoblock ROI if thry don't want to make it available here, but there you go). Everything on Now TV is on "real" Sky.

• Advertisement

There's no point to Now TV for Sky customers - you aren't the target market, it is for pay-TV refuseniks. And isn't officially available here (it does work, but Sky are liable to cut you off if they find out you are ROI based as its against the T&Cs. Not sure why they don't geoblock ROI if thry don't want to make it available here, but there you go). Everything on Now TV is on "real" Sky.

So there's only one year left in the contract? After that runs out, would that mean HBO could decide to renegotiate the terms to allow sky to only have shared rights with them so that they can launch HBO Now here whenever they can?

If they did and it was a similar cost as in America ($15/month) it'd be a no brainer for a lot of people. I d/load everything but I'd happily pay for that for convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Add another five on that, extended again till 2020

source: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jan/30/bskyb-five-year-deal-exclusive-rights-hbo-tv-catalogue

pippip wrote: »

Well I guess that's that.

Insane numbers for the football rights as well, can't imagine what they'll be in even just a few years time as more people change from broadcast TV to streaming. I haven't paid for sports in years, just stream for free instead, but if there was a subscription service like Netflix for the champions league for >€15/month I'd gladly pay.

It would be a very big risk for any sports rights holder to take on the job of producing and broadcasting its own content. If anyone could do it, it would be the Premier League. But they think they can make more money selling it to Sky and so far they have been proved right on that.

Think about it - they get a massive upfront payment and don't have to worry about things like production costs, talent, subscribers numbers, etc. They are in the football business, not the pay-TV business. It would be a massive change.

And think about it from the viewer point of view. You say you're happy to pay €15 per month to UEFA for the Champions League. Would you be happy to pay the same again for the Europa League? The Premier League? The Football League? The LFP? The Bundesliga? Serie A? MLS? That's just football. If every sporting organisation charged their own fee, even if each of them were charging less than €15, then the price of watching sport would balloon massively. A la carte sounds great in theory but it doesn't work in practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hi,

Thanks.

HBO Now is $15 a month ,just for online access.
    A proper cable HBO sub is ~$16 on average per month which allows you HBOGo online access.

I think the HBO Now sub is overpriced for what you get.
    I've had a HBOGo account for the last 6 months ,its ok but the selection is pretty limited ,its nowhere near the selection of Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tilova

I have most of the HBO Chanel's here in Dublin through Bulgarian sat tv

We don't drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement