Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Geography HL 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Just wondering if Desertification by Overfarming in a Hot Desert Biome would be accepted for an economic impact of humans on a biome?

Can desertification occur within the hot desert biome or is it just a desert already..

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

hi, 2 questions:

1) is there really a need to study a peripheral region in Europe, have all economics activities done for Paris, popuplation distribution and growth of Paris. I will do characteristics of mezzogiorno for a socio-economic question. Will that be ok?

2) i understand that characteristics, adaptation etc must be wrote about on ONE biome. But can human activities be wrote about on multiple? Do do ever ask for how humans impact soil erosion on ONE soil type?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slim1996

1) a question came up before compare factors influencing primary activity in two contrasting european regions not including ireland so would just say learn off primary for whatever peripheral region you studied.

2) Human activities is just on one biome, not sure about the soil erosion question

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 iago1

Does anyone have any good geography notes? Do ye know any good sites? Our teacher has been gone on maternity for since Christmas and we've been left with this student teacher😭 it's great that she's getting work but she's useless!! Please anything will do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Saoirsek

Any predictions for geography? :)

• Advertisement

Slim1996 wrote: »
    1) a question came up before compare factors influencing primary activity in two contrasting european regions not including ireland so would just say learn off primary for whatever peripheral region you studied.

2) Human activities is just on one biome, not sure about the soil erosion question

yes just plan on learning characteristics because i cant see them asking to compare teritary or secondary as not much in italy really,

I was thinking that however looking at sample answer is model answers book and e-xamit they talk about intensive agriculter in sahel, deforestation in brazil, industrial deveolopment in Europe. Then for soils desertification is Sahel, over-cultivation in range of place and deforestation in brazil.

I see rarely they ask for One soil/biome but just wondering if anyone knows if that was just a tester to see how people would answer and hence unlikely or should it be likely?

human interaction with biome i did amazon and deforestation + intensive agriculture and trying to get another point with 8 srps was very tough imo

also what is a better way to write these essays, so for a human interaction essay with either.
    1) deforestation
    2) intensive agriculter
    etc

or
    1) affects biodiversity
    2) affects soil integrity
    3) affects climate
    and talk about all the factors in each point? apologies for these basic questions which i assume they are, my class do culture and identity however i prefer this and am no longer allowed to school to ask my teacher questions. Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mattf96

These are all my opinions and they are all because they have not come up recently, if you look at past patterns it is not that hard to predict...
    Geography:
    Soils:
    Brown Earth Soils
    Adaptations to rainforest
    Deforestation
    Physical:
    Sedimentary rocks
    Human interaction with rocks and rivers
    Regional:
    Learn all of Ireland and all maps and a bit of india
    Economic elective:
    Gloabalisation
    Colonisation
    Conflicts of Interest
    CAP

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Mattf96 wrote: »
    These are all my opinions and they are all because they have not come up recently, if you look at past patterns it is not that hard to predict...
    Geography:
    Soils:
    Brown Earth Soils
    Adaptations to rainforest
    Deforestation
    Physical:
    Sedimentary rocks
    Human interaction with rocks and rivers
    Regional:
    Learn all of Ireland and all maps and a bit of india
    Economic elective:
    Gloabalisation
    Colonisation
    Conflicts of Interest
    CAP
    Definitely an EU policy and Conflict of Interest this year, corrib gas opened this year so all those bad feelings surfaced again and I think they're doing away with the cap soon because it costs so much for the EU budget, that's what my teacher says anywho.

On a side note, the economic elective is crazy easy, benefits of renewable energy would be the easiest 30 marks in any exam ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dannyforde

any predictions for geoecology in geography??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

dannyforde wrote: »

Hoping for characteristics of a biome. I'm not going to study soils. I'm thinking there will be two biome questions and one soil question as well.

Blue giant wrote: »
    Hoping for characteristics of a biome. I'm not going to study soils. I'm thinking there will be two biome questions and one soil question as well.

adaptations is a more likely one. Im covering 4 essays to play it safe, should be close enough to guaranteed 1 of the titles

yoyojc wrote: »
    Just wondering if Desertification by Overfarming in a Hot Desert Biome would be accepted for an economic impact of humans on a biome?

Can desertification occur within the hot desert biome or is it just a desert already..

Thanks!
    ye desertification can occur in the hot desert, spreads into the sahel. i would personally use desertification as a seperate point, i do
    over-cropping
    over-grazing
    deforestation
    then above 3 help cause deseritification

dannyforde wrote: »

characteristics biome
    adaptions to biome
    human activities on soil erosion
    human activities on a biome

done a good bit of research and you should be covered with them + 2 biome questions is overdue so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jm12334567

Studying the papers characteristics of a biome hasn't not come up two years in a row didn't come up in 2014 is it a cert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dr..

Yea so basically i know 5 geoecology essays. They are

1) Factors affecting Soil characteristics
    2) Processes affecting soil characteristics
    3) Characteristics of Brown Earth Soils
    4) characteristics of a biome
    5) How plant and animal life adapt to soil and climatic conditions in a biome.

I'm struggling here, im burnt out and I feel like I can't learn anymore. I have 2 questions

1) is this enough option essays to have learnt for the LC
    2) if not what other ones should I learn to be guaranteed one

This is incredibly stressing and all advice is appreciated!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jm12334567 wrote: »
    Studying the papers characteristics of a biome hasn't not come up two years in a row didn't come up in 2014 is it a cert ?
    Nothing is "a cert".

If it hasn't come up two years in a row, it's probably more likely to make an appearance, but that's a long way from saying it's certain! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Kremin wrote: »
    17 days until the beginning of the end.

I really need to pull my **** together, I honestly think I might drop in history and geography but I really want an A in geography.. was 6 marks off in the mocks but the paper was pretty nice.

Any tips for geography? I've no trouble with knowing/understanding the info it's just the exam technique. So many of what I deem to be SRPS don't actually get the marks when my teacher corrects my essays. How can you be sure something is an SRP?!

Dr.. wrote: »
    Yea so basically i know 5 geoecology essays. They are

1) Factors affecting Soil characteristics
    2) Processes affecting soil characteristics
    3) Characteristics of Brown Earth Soils
    4) characteristics of a biome
    5) How plant and animal life adapt to soil and climatic conditions in a biome.

I'm struggling here, im burnt out and I feel like I can't learn anymore. I have 2 questions

1) is this enough option essays to have learnt for the LC
    2) if not what other ones should I learn to be guaranteed one

This is incredibly stressing and all advice is appreciated!

im no expert but i personally think you will be covered with them, if worried just do a human interaction with soil

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

I dont see a point in learning all of Ireland for regional, I think a sketch map of India will come since it didnt come up in the last 3 years

• Advertisement

Any of you doing global interdependance for options topic?
    Personally I doubt views of development will come up again but if it does I'm going to do that.

Other essays I have prepared are Global Warming and Aid.. not sure what else to cover.

Kremin wrote: »
    Any of you doing global interdependance for options topic?
    Personally I doubt views of development will come up again but if it does I'm going to do that.

Other essays I have prepared are Global Warming and Aid.. not sure what else to cover.

according to the predictor on youtube, NGO's, deforestation and aid are most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dr..

RoRo979 wrote: »
    im no expert but i personally think you will be covered with them, if worried just do a human interaction with soil

Alright thanks, yea I'll try learn that off and maybe another one or two after that! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

Q explain with references to examples that you have studied how.the theory of plate tectonics helps explain the distribution of earthquakes around the world (30 marks)

The theory of plate tectonics says that the lithosphere is divided into large rigid sections called plates which move slowly on the semi molten mantle. They move because heat from the earth's core generates thermal convection currents.
    An earthquake is a tremor of the earth's crust as a result of release of energy. Earthquakes occur along conservative plate boundaries. Conservative plate boundaries is where plates slide past each other. Shallow earthquakes occur at this type of boundary. An example is the San Andrews Fault which marks the boundary between the Pacific and north American plate.
    Sometimes when plates slide past each other they lock. When the plates lock pressure builds up for centuries and then suddenly release when the rocks in the crust can no longer withstand pressure, groundshaking earthquakes occur. These earthquakes are very powerful due to great amounts of energy released and shallow depth of focus

Earthquakes also occur at convergent plate boundaries along subduction zones where two plate collide. Subduction is the process by which the heavier plate descends beneath the lighter plate. The descending plate moves in sudden bursts Triggering powerful earthquakes example Asian tsunami 2004. when plates sink further some minerals break up causing deep earthquakes. All earthquakes occur along the line of sinking plate called the benioff zone. Subduction area off Japan coast is one of the most earthquake prone areas in the world. About 80 percent of earthquakes occur in Pacific ocean.

Earthquakes also occur when 2 continental plates collide to form fold mountains. Example the himalayas was formed where the Indian and euarasian plate collided. As plated collide land is uplifted and shallow earthquakes occur. These earthquakes are shallow and for that reason can cause a lot of damage example such-and-such earthquake 2008

Lastly earthquakes occur at divergentvplates where two plates separate eg the mid ocean ridge where north American and euarasian plates diverge.
    Magma become solid and forms a new basalt rock. New basalt rock splits creating an earthquake with one half attaching to each separating plate.

How many srps and marks out of 30 should I get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Obviously I'm not an examiner or anything but marking it quite harshly I would give it 22/24 out of 30. I'd put in more examples of earthquakes such as Haiti 2010 and the recent one in Nepal. Maybe you could also give a little bit more about the theory of plate tectonics at the start also. Just one or two sentences each on the continental drift theory by Alfred Wegener and sea floor spreading by Harry H. Hess and how they were combined could also give 2 or 3 more SRPs maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

Blue giant wrote: »
    Obviously I'm not an examiner or anything but marking it quite harshly I would give it 22/24 out of 30. I'd put in more examples of earthquakes such as Haiti 2010 and the recent one in Nepal. Maybe you could also give a little bit more about the theory of plate tectonics at the start also. Just one or two sentences each on the continental drift theory by Alfred Wegener and sea floor spreading by Harry H. Hess and how they were combined could also give 2 or 3 more SRPs maybe.

Thanks, my teacher marks each question like 10 srps at 3 marks each even though I do higher level? Which makes me really worried For what I'll really get in the exam and all the shops are sold out of sue honan geography exam skills.
    My teacher never helped with project so I got another person to help me but I forgot to put down the word count and I'm worried about that too.
    I put in a lot of work into the subject now I'm afraid it won't pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jane_ohara

Ok so I'm doing the hot desert biome with reference to the Thar Desert/Sahara Desert. I have answers for biome characteristics and influence of climate on vegetation and soils, but I really need an answer for human interaction in the biome. The only answers I can find are for the tropical rainforest.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone help me!!!

Any tips for geography? I've no trouble with knowing/understanding the info it's just the exam technique. So many of what I deem to be SRPS don't actually get the marks when my teacher corrects my essays. How can you be sure something is an SRP?!

Honestly, I have no idea what an SRP is, books say its a relevant point, statistic, example etc but I think its quite open as sometimes i get an srp for giving a statistic and sometimes I don't.

What I will say is writing something like "when soil erodes it release any carbon dioxide it has stored " and then explaining that point for another 3-4 lines will only get you one srp.
    What I sometimes do is leave a line/space inbetween each point just to make sure the examiner knows it's a different point. My teacher also suggested we use punctuation often, not these huge lines that go on for paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Winnieme12

Hi all,

Just wondering if these following questions will be enough to learn for Geoecology questions. Am I on right track?
    Have looked at exam papers and these seem (to me) to be most likely to appear this year??

1. Factors affecting soil characteristics
    2. Brown Earth soil characteristics
    3. Human activities impacts on biomes
    4. Characteristics of biome
    5. Discuss how human activities can accelerate soil erosion

Thanks all, hope the study for geog going good!

• Advertisement

Winnieme12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if these following questions will be enough to learn for Geoecology questions. Am I on right track?
    Have looked at exam papers and these seem (to me) to be most likely to appear this year??

1. Factors affecting soil characteristics
    2. Brown Earth soil characteristics
    3. Human activities impacts on biomes
    4. Characteristics of biome
    5. Discuss how human activities can accelerate soil erosion

Thanks all, hope the study for geog going good!

throw in adaptations nd your sorted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement