Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ucc Pharmacy students (actual students)

• 09-09-2009 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

So i typed the word pharmacy into the search box and the majority of what i read was people saying they got the course/are going into first yr in 2010 etc etc and whats it like,,, the replies wherent the best as it was just full of other people celebrating that they too where offered a place.

So i wanted to ask what do the actual students doing the course at the moment think of it, the course content etc? and how relevant it is to the final career. And i happen to know theres quite a few ppl from ucc pharmaacy on here :pac:

I personally think there is an awful lot of unnecessery content and the vast majority of the lecturers are overly arrogant and a tad unhelpful!

Edit: That said tough there are some gems among them that are willing to do there best to help the students along.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fatima85

Hey there davey89,

Was In the same position as you, just typed pharmacy UCC into the search bar to try and assess what other pharmacy students studying at UCC taught of the course.

But all in all, a very well organised and comprehensive course. Far better and more comtemporary then either of the pharmacy courses ran in RCSI and TCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Fatima85 wrote: »
    Take for example the lovely, young twiglet of a pharmaceutics lecturer; whose name rhymes with Matie and Bryan...who treats every student like a piece of crap.

Ah Fatima tats thin water you thread upon.

And what did you make of the anatomy & pathophysiology sectin of the course?

Complete and utter rubbish in terms of how it was ran and how the entire lectures where mainly directed at the medicine students and we where seen as only "sit-in" first years.

Personally I think the shear volume of pharmaceutical chemistry that first year pharmacy students have to cover is unrealistic. Some of the material in first pharm from what I understand, compares to topics covered by 3rd chemistry students.
    I also feel that students would benefit from more continual assessments in that same module throughout the year. Such a system would encourage more students to study and keep up with the course work throughout the year as opposed to cramming the entire course into the four weeks of the study month.
    Anantomy/Intro to Pathophysiology was unnecessary to say the least. The way in which the lectures were delivered, executed & assessed did not in anyway correspond to the AN1074 course outcomes.
    Clearly I feel some issues need to be addressed in terms of module content, volume and relevance.

Fatima

Nicely put 'pharmerluke'....couldn't have said it better myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PharmingLuke

What year are you in by the way? I'm heading into Second Year. Supposed to be a larger selection of irrelevant ***** too.

• Advertisement

Im headin into second year also....boom!

Hmmm, thanks very much for the detailed response luke, totally agree with the anatomy response, she was indeed out of breath the entire time and i seem to remember her finishing a lecture in 25 mins as she rushed thorugh its entirety without stoping for a break. She was however complained i believe, which led to her subsequent slowing down in future lectures.

On the other hand tough while i did find the chem a tad overwhelming, it has to be said that at the end of the end the lectures done there best with regards revision material and online help to ensure the majority of the class would pass.

What year are you in by the way? I'm heading into Second Year. Supposed to be a larger selection of irrelevant ***** too.

The cookie crumbles

Im headin into second year also....ZING!

No i'm not American, thankfully...thought u were sumone else I know who uses such retardo slang...Thought if it was him, he might identify himself. Don't get me strated on JJ, where did that pseudo, Dublin, D-quatro accent originate from? Didn't bother with his section in the end, was delighted I could skip over his 'material'.....

• Advertisement

Retardo Slang? I'll try not to take offence to that so. Who's this person who uses Retardo Slang in your year so? :P
    I learned JJ's material because of the easier questions he seems to ask in the MCQ section. For example, Steroid Numbering. You'll be amazed to hear that in my first year group, there was a girl who STRUGGLED to do this. I couldn't believe it. She ended up taking grinds to learn how to do it.

To b honest pharmer luke, I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that she couldn't grasp steroid numbering....I couldn't tell you the first thing about assigning nomenclature or chemistry to be honest...

Yeah, remembering it is one thing. Struggling to -understand- it is quite another (Steroid Numbering). It's the former you seem to be suffering from and she suffered from the latter. If you admit to the latter, then you're doing yourself an intellectual injustice.

Verbosity Killed the Cat.....

Thank God I'm not a Cat.

Lads lads lads, we seem to have strayed a little off topic here.
    In my personal opinion "pharminluke", i find no shame in admittance that you cannot understand something even if "you" do prehaps view it as being easy. Personally i would congragulate her for having the courage to be in a room full of high achievers (as im assuming your class, like the majority of phamracy students was) and say "ok guys i cannot understand steroid numbering so i am going to get grinds".
    Theres never any shame to be had for wanting help, even if it is for the smallest of things.

Yes Davie, you're right...apologies for my response...just counting 1-22 in circles...ah... never mind. :)

So regarding the Pharmacy population in UCC.

Guys the education boards are not there for students to abuse lecturers. Personal abuse will not be tolerated in any form.

I'm locking this thread 'til the forum mods can deal with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Fatima and pharmingluke banned. Lets be clear:

Racism is not allowed on this forum or on ieboards.

Insulting lecturers is not allowed on this forum.

Generalizing and insulting classes is not allowed on this forum.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement