Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIM port forwarding

Options
  • 08-10-2003 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

I have a PC behind a firewall that blocks everythig but port 80 (and for some bizaare reason whatever MSN uses).

I have used portfowarding to an ssh server to get round this but i just can't get AIM working.

It gets to verifying username and pass and freezes and tells me the service can't be reached.

User and pass are ok, and if I put in an old blocked screenname I had (when I worked for AOL) it gives me the discontinued screenname prompt, so its connecting.

Yet I can't use the service.

any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Uses a different incoming port according to http://www.bluegrass.net/techsupport/portlistofapplications.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

hrmm thanks for that, although I forwarded port 4099 too and it didn't help.

do I need ssh -L or -R for it? and do I link both ports to te same aol server?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't think you can do it with an ssh forward from your client side, since any forwards will listen locally only (unless someone else can make it do otherwise).

Can you install something on the box you ssh to that will forward the port back for you? Or even forward it to a local port that you can then get to be forwarded back using an ssh -R ?

Advertisement