Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phreaking alive and well...

Options
  • 01-10-2003 4:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9376852.html
    The same paper says that the C&AG report has also revealed that telephone fraudsters hacked in to the internal phone system of the Department of Social and Family Affairs last year. The hackers made nearly EUR300,000 worth of calls over two months. In response to the Comptroller's queries, the accounting officer of the Department said it had "reacted swiftly to the intrusion."
    Gotta love that Dept response. It looks like it means something, but it could actually mean pretty much anything.

"We reacted swiftly to the intrusion by having a big party with lemonade and cake and lashings and lashings of creamy man juice!"

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

the ability to make calls for free isnt phreaking its phone fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

It is the basis of hacking. Its the reason there is an internet. Its the reason why boards.ie is possible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by theciscokid
    the ability to make calls for free isnt phreaking its phone fraud.
    Phreaking is hacking the phone system. In this case, phreaking was used to defraud the phone system, but it's still phreaking. Are you trying to tell me that people like Woz and Cap'n Crunch didn't make long distance calls when they were "learning" the ins and outs of the phone system? FFS.

I was trying to remember why you were on my Ignore list, but lo and behold, the second I opened your post, I remembered.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

I was trying to remember why you were on my Ignore list, but lo and behold, the second I opened your post, I remembered.

adam

now thats not nice

any fool can hijack a pabx

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Pardon my ignorance here but how are you attributing the birth of the internet to phone phreaks. I know there was a direct line (ptp) between the phone freaks and subsequent computer hackers but surely they hindered rather than helped the birth of the internet.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    Pardon my ignorance here but how are you attributing the birth of the internet to phone phreaks. I know there was a direct line (ptp) between the phone freaks and subsequent computer hackers but surely they hindered rather than helped the birth of the internet.

Well arpanet was da start a da intremanet but all the leading figures of modern pc = gates, jobs etc were one time hackers/ preakers inspired by likkle blue boxes. Do u think that boards.ie would be here without gates? Do you think the entire world and his dog would have a pc without windows? How many people do you know that use unix - or even know what it is?? I know about 3 - definitely less than 5

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I know hundreds of people who use unix, but that proves nothing.

boards.ie doesn't run any microsoft software.

You're also quite mistaken about a lot of other things.

Originally posted by ecksor

boards.ie doesn't run any microsoft software.

You're also quite mistaken about a lot of other things.

neva said it did? but would it be here without m$?

Only my opinion's anyhow (and i probably am mistaken) but would u like to tell me where im mistaken or am ijust mistaken in general .

takin a lota missus there!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RANT
    OK how many people had a home computer - BBC, Spectrums & ZX81 ,Amiga, Oryx, C64, atari , Apple II ...??
    (pretends MSX did not exist - turkeys - anyone remember the sony that used to load basic from tape...)

Have you ever heard of BBS's, Prestel , Minitel etc. etc. ??
    Or DrDOS, PCDOS, Concurrent CPM , Microsoft 32 Bit DOS 7 (it got canned when 95 came out) ?

What generated the PC revolution was that IBM desiged an upgradabe PC and because they were BIG BLUE other HARDWARE manufacturers cloned it.

NOTE:
    When Windows 95 was released, microsoft themselves reckoned the computer industry had been held back 5 years by that monopoly. (Windows 95 ? - Apple 89 !) - in other words M$ have actecd as a break on those who seek to invent and innovate (and integrate seemlessly) and soaked up resources.

Just imagine what could have been done if all the energy and time wasted trying to sort out dll version conflicts caused by not installing programs in a certain order, could be directed elsewhere.

In a world with Walls or Fences - who needs Gates & Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

...atari...Minitel...

Now, that was cool, my Atari Mega STE connected to my Minitel!:D
    I was the king of the world!! :p

Raphael

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

but all the leading figures of modern pc = gates, jobs etc were one time hackers/ preakers

eh ? - how does rummaging through skips looking through other peoples code make Gates a hacker/preaker
    The nearest he got was Freaking out everyone with his concept of paying for software that had been free before hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by dahamsta

adam

I think you should add yourself to your ignore list you talk about it so much.

Advertisement