Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kazza/RIAA Lawsuits/P2P Protection

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭dmd

Yeh, right, nobody is safe. 12 year olds should also be left steal cds in HMV, right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've heard of one guy who uses a cat to rip open all software boxes ... "by opening this package you agree to the terms and conditions.."
    To the best of my knowledge the cat has not been prosecuted yet.

RIAA also have a 71 year old on their lists, just wondering how long before they prosecute a [insert most innocent stereotype here].

Also while the RIAA offer amnesty to people who sign up on their web site - one problem (apart from their bogey web security history) is that the list could be made available by court order to other organistaions who want to sue directly...

As far as the apps go - ISP have to keep a record of which address you connect to and when*

*Note: US laws are quite different to European ones - have a look at the fuss over the EU Airlines refusing to hand passenger info over because of the concerns that the data would be used for purposes that would be blatently illegal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by meesha_beesha
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/issues/amnesty-or-shamnesty.html

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/09/music.swap.settlement/index.html

I was just curious what everyone thought of this. It's kind of frightening that no one is safe, not even 12 year old girls.

What do I think of an industry that is suing its own customers? It is a sad reflection of the US money grabbing US music industry. You know there are 63 million file sharers in the USA ... they won't put a stop to p2p.

StreamCast have told me about several flaws in the amnesty plan. It is not what a lot of the media are making it out to be.

The law is less clear here but the upcoming EU directive on p2p is likely to clear it up. Hopefully in favour of the p2p file sharer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by meesha_beesha

Has anyone used any applications that anonymize?

I have used EartStation 5, Filetopia and Morpheus with proxies.

Having said that the risk of a lawsuit by the IRMA is near zero ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Yeh, right, nobody is safe. 12 year olds should also be left steal cds in HMV, right?

Well the thing with that was, the girls (single) mother settled out of court with the RIAA to the tune of $2000, and her daugther promised never to do it again. Although they did believe they were'nt acting illegally since they were paying for the p2p service.

Hard to know who to believe but it isn't exactly a public relations coup for the RIAA no matter how you look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Actually it fits perfectly with the image the RIAA wants to send out. That image being of Matrix agents, complete with suits and sunglasses, who can track us to the ends of the Earth if we f*ck with them. Threats of prosecution, rumours of viruses that will literally blow our PCs up / electrocute us (predicting next headline "RIAA to send Freddy Krueger after file sharers"). In other words their tactic is to use a combination of legal threats, dirty tricks, and plain old scaremongering bullsh!t, in order to scare the living crap out of us. Personally I'm not scared. I'm no more intimidated by their threats than I was the amateur dictator who the other week ranted at me for parking near his shop for a minute (and who can't tell the difference between a criminal and civil offence).

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/06/27/music.sharing.column/index.html
    "Why I've stopped sharing music"
    or "How I became a scaremongering propagandist puppet of the RIAA"

It's one thing to not follow a policy of "The customer is always right". It's another thing entirely to follow one of "The customer is always stupid and easily scared". DMD do you work for a record company? Yes or no, either way you're apparently someone who wants to pay the extortionate prices the RIAA and their kin want us to pay for music. Your case against file sharers is reeeeally convincing - just think of all those poor record company execs scraping a living, barely able to feed their families :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If my eyes roll any more they'll become disconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

These threads always amuse me. I think it’s perfectly acceptable for an organisation to go after people who help themselves to their goods. To call the majority of p2p users customers is laughable, customers do after all pay for what that they take.
    Not that I believe for a moment that online music is killing the music industry, but lets all be honest, pulling music down off ftp, p2p or what ever is theft pure and simple the fact is people as a whole don’t care.

anyway hows this related to security ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 meesha_beesha

I was just curious if anyone had any type of exposure to applications such as The Free Network Project, Project Elf, Nullsoft Waste, Blocks VO. 17, Filetopia, or PeerGaurdian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

OK you anti filesharing muppets. If my house burns to the ground with my 2,000EUR cd collection in there, is it wrong for me to download all the songs that were on my cds that i purchased, and only these songs? After all i bought them already didn't I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Ahh but there you see is the difference, theres nothing wrong with you making a backup of it. But thats not what you're doing is it. No you're distributing them to others over the net.
    At least say it as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

No..., i'm would not be distributing them to others. I would be getting a copy of songs that i have already purchased but were damaged and all of the backups were damaged too. There's nothing wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

I use proxy chains most times - other times i use other peoples log on in college!!! shhh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Yes it is theft. But you're wrong about the second part Rev - I do care. I care that I pay an extortionate price for CDs. I care about where that money is going and if it's not going to the artist I want to know who get to profit from the artists' hard work and what they've done to deserve it. I don't go and steal CDs from the shop; neither do I download songs from artists whose CDs I would never buy.

Personally I'm not affected by the decision to flood P2P networks with fake versions of popular files, as these aren't the kind of MP3s I'll be downloading anyway. I listen to artists who I can guarantee will never be played on the radio, so I need to hear them somehow (and believe it or not a 10 second sample is not a good indicator). If I don't like the song, I delete it. If I like it, I buy the CD. Then there's the rare live recordings which I can't buy anywhere. If I can't use P2P for those purposes, which I consider pretty damn reasonable, because the RIAA targets me simply as a P2P user rather than as a threat to them, then I think I might just have a small problem with their methods...

As for most people; show them that by downloading songs they're actually harming the artists rather than some stereotypical 'suit', and they might actually give a sh!t. Do we get appeals from artists? No, we get the usual procession of lawyers and executives making threats. Hardly likely to make people any more sympathetic.

Advertisement