Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine 2015/16 Advice

Options
  • 26-05-2015 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey,

I'm a Leaving Cert student in 6th year down in Kilkenny, and this post for me is probably 12 months late. But I am a student set on medicine. I love the concept of pushing myself to study something that so many people look up to and to helping people, and the science of it sounds interesting and good as well. Its the only thing I want to do. I moved school at Christmas because I felt i wasn't getting the support I needed from the teachers. Where I am now is different, miles ahead, and has helped a lot.
    I won't bore you with the details. Anyway, I only turned 18 this January despite doing TY and I always had the concept that if I wasn't happy with my work by the end of 6th year, I would repeat and try to put it right. I had looked at alternate routes such as post-graduate medicine, which is very expensive and prolonged, and other medical ventures such as biomedical science, but the points are high for that too (500 in DIT.)
    What I'm asking for is some insight into any of you who have tried, succeeded or have experienced this situation, or even if you help me at all. I'm in the 350-400 point range at the moment and I'm taking 5 honours subjects, not including maths. Is the HPAT very difficult? If you repeated, was it tough to go again? Was it helpful having a last year? I'm lost. I've gone from considering taking a lower course somewhere to repeating but I don't want to take a course for the sake of going and then say to myself "what am I doing?" barley into it.
    Any help is appreciated, because this situation will stand even after the exams in a week's time. I feel sort of lost on what to do.
    Thanks for your help!

Cyril.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm really not sure with that level of points you have much of a chance at direct entry into medicine. Do you think you will improve much in the exam?

You didn't take the HPAT this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CyrilH_

No I'm aware it's not enough this year which is why I'm pretty sure I'm going to repeat and take the HPAT next year (2015/16). I think I'll hit the 350-400 this year with 5 honours and 1 pass subject. But I think with a few months hard work if I repeat would see me get into it next year. I just want to get any information I can on the HPAT exam, prep courses, advice, experiences and in general any advice from anyone in the field or who's gotten the points or even someone who's in a similar position and has gone to repeat and come out with the points for it.

I think I'd be capable of getting into it next year, or at least getting near it. I think I could hit 500-540 if I really pushed myself and I would if my friends were off gone to college and I was behind trying to get there the second time around. Then even if I fell short of a few points (i.e either I got a little less than what I was hoping either in the LC or HPAT) I would fall back on a course in the high-400's such as biomedical in DIT or I could apply for the 3 year course in Biomedical in Ulster?

What I mean by the "350-400" range is that is what I think I'll achieve this year, which even at the latter number would be 35 points from Medical Science in GMIT which is my second choice. So unless I surprise myself and DARE comes in to lend a hand, I won't get it. My next course is 320 and it's only one I put down to fill space. But I think if I repeated I could hit much higher results and I'm just curious as to how to go about next year, anyone who has had a similar experience or anyone who has gone through the HPAT and push for medicine, advice would be helpful.

Or even anyone who was in a similar situation and if they found a course that suited them?:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a whole thread on the HPAT here which might be of interest.

Thank you! Much appreciated. If anyone has any input feel free to put it here either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Your post seems to me that the sociable side of medicine appeals to you first, then the science.
    Would you consider going into another healthier related profession (radiography, radiation therapy, physio, nursing) as apposed to biomedical science (which is the science bit of med without the people iinteraction) I know points for healthcare related courses are also high, but I think (I'm open to correction here, I could be very wrong here) there are courses in both sligo and carlow that allow for progression into physio/radiography courses after a couple of years (if you do well enough)
    good luck with whatever you choose OP

• Advertisement

Hey! No it's not that at all! Because I was aware that biomedical dealt with lab work and diagnosing as oppose to working with actual patients face-to-face. Obviously the social side appeals a lot at first, but I'm very science-focused even in my subjects and in my interests. I'm just not 100% sure what science topics are there in medicine but if I've a good idea. I wouldn't study something I'm not too clear on if i just wanted the social side of the deal, I tried to do accountancy in TY with a colleague of my dad's and I hated it :D
    As for those you listed, I did consider physiotherapy and look into it for a while because I'm very keen on sports as well so it would have given me an option to go into both med and sports, but I think I decided against it for the requirements at the time and I didn't feel like it was for me. Radiography I'm not 100% on what it is but I will look into it, a friend of mine is doing it in Scotland or England somewhere next year I'm pretty sure so I might ask her. As for Carlow, I think I heard about the physio thing as another friend of mine is doing that, but the radiography isn't one I was aware of. I did look at Carlow which is a great campus and college but the only course which was in my area was a bioscience pharmaceutical/forensic course.
    The reason I looked into and chose biomedical was because you would have the option to go into medicine afterwards if you wanted, with a sound footing from the modules in the course. If not, you could progress in a variety of different careers. Secondary school teaching, pharmaceuticals, medical research, hospitals etc. as well as the chance to specialize in a number of areas or just further your degree in biomedical science! :)
    I appreciate the help and input, thanks :) and thank you for the good wishes!!

Advertisement