Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Security No0b

• 16-10-2003 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I just bought a new PC, It has Windows XP PRO and im connected to the interweb via a NTL USB cable modem ( ambit 3500).

As soon as I connected I got some popup messages form what looked like other computers warning me they had access to my computer and offering AV software. then My computer gave me a warning message that my coumpter would shut down in 60 seconds. (these may not be related??)

So I enabled the firewall option in XP and downloaded

AGV anti virus (which detected no virus)
    I also did an online scan with Symantec (no virus)

So I then downloaded Zone Alarm and enabled it. It warned me that some IP addresses were Pinging me, it told me that t had blocked them and that all is calm.

So here are my questions

1. What were those pop up messages ?
    2. is it realted to the 60 second shutdown thing ( I dont think it was balster)
    3. What are these IP addresses pinging my computer
    4. Is AGV and Zone Alarm sufficent protection for a Feckless secutity noob like me ?
    5. Is this because of XP or IE6 ? I never hand any such problem ( that I know of) with Windows 98 FE

Any advice anyone can give me is much appriciated.

Regards
    Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Alany
    1. What were those pop up messages ?
    2. is it realted to the 60 second shutdown thing ( I dont think it was balster)
    3. What are these IP addresses pinging my computer
    4. Is AGV and Zone Alarm sufficent protection for a Feckless secutity noob like me ?
    5. Is this because of XP or IE6 ? I never hand any such problem ( that I know of) with Windows 98 FE

Any advice anyone can give me is much appriciated.

Regards
    Alan

1. SPYWARE, download and install and update Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy . Then run both. Clean up what they tell you and inoculate your PC (means IE really) from these intrusions.
    2. No
    3. The companies that installed the spkbots or general vermin.
    4. Along with Spyware checkers yes.
    5. Partly, also coz w98 was too thick to tell you.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Thanks a Mil Muck

Muchos Grassy-Ass Sin-yore

Advertisement