Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firewall and antivirus package

• 10-09-2003 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

At the moment i'm using norton anti-virus 2003 and zone alarm.

I'd prefer to be using an antivirus and firewall fom the same company in the one package for the sake of updates e.t.c.

Any suggestions? Or should i just stick with what i have?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A good firewall should not need patches.

Firewalls block packets that did not originate from your machine.
    Zonealarm also asks you to allow/disallow new programs to connect.

Ports 135,137,139,445 should have been blocked by ISP's for the last ten years ..

And as for getting two products from the same company - suppose they have the same vunerability ... (likely 'cos it's the same design team/methology) - defense in depth ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm using the free zone alarm and free avg AV. Is there anything I'm losing out on, secrurity wise by not buying software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I'll recommend the following..

AVG - Antivirus
    http://www.grisoft.com

Its free, and its quite good and reliable. Updates, though not as frequent as some of the major vendors are regular enough.

Kerio Personal Firewall
    http://www.kerio.com

Again free, this is always a plus. It is the best personal firewall I have ever come accross. I believe that it's based on the old "tiny personal firewall," but I've never seen that so I cant comment.
    It is as good as the best of them in some respects. It allows IP address filtering, port filtering, application filtering. Simply put its great... :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You are running windows.

In case it missed you attention recently there have been three major patches to the RPC function to fix holes that have been around since 1995 (NT4 beta).

There is a hole in IE that is still waiting for a patch.

You should get all the usual AdAware and Spyware apps too.

Bottom line though, all the AV / Malware programs only check for known problems. Zonealarm will help protect against new trojans. But you are using an OS (which has IE) which has 8 year old security flaws popping up from time to time..

What AdAware and Spyware would you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Norton internet Security 2003, comes with a firewall and anti-virus from the one vendor and isn't too costly either. I think it retails around the 80 euro mark or so.

Not sure on the merits of it versus any of the others but I'm sure it'll stand up a bit better than the free ones, in regard to catching virus etc, as symantec seem to have their eye on the ball for that.

Paul

p.s. one thing to note,is the anti-virus updates last for a year only, so tis a pain :/

Why spend 80 euro when you can get a free product that does the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Well you actually pay for quality software and full featured software. You'll note that both avg free and zonealarm free have some of the features of their paid buddies turned off/disabled.

So with your 80 euro you get feature rich, properly supported software that you know is going to work. I use avg free here, its updates are not very frequent, I know that symantec can have as many as 3 updates in a day if not more. There is a difference from paying and using free software.

Paul

Agreed there is a differece between the lite/personnal versions and the commercial versions. But as to whether the better version is worth its price... - how much is your data worth - do you have a backup etc..

You can buy an external hardware firewall for the price of some of the software versions. No question as to which is better if there is a flaw in the OS.

If you use Sophos AV at work then the license allows it to be used by the same user at home too..

The point is that home users can't afford the really good Firewalls and so won't ever be 100% safe (esp if use unpatched windows/ie/office etc.) So if free software gets > 99% (say) and you can't get to 100% how much should you pay for the in between...

Looking up M$ site and setting all the security options in IE and turning off auto preview in outlook and blocking as many attachemntes as possible would possibly be better than relying on third party products to protecting you as you go clicking on YES to everything on the internet / emails .

Personally for years I've never needed AV or Firewall software until that last virus. But I'm pretty good at keeping backups of my stuff. Learnt the hard way years ago. So far AdAware and Spyware is the only thing I'm aware thats extra for the €80. Theres cheaper software to manage that too.

Personally I'm not of the opinion that cheaper is worse for many things. Most of the time all the extra expense buys you is more expensive marketing. Symantec wasn't any better at stopping those latest viruses than the free software was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I suggest that you use Norton AntiVirus 2003 which also includes Norton Personal Firewall, even though I use ZoneAlarm Pro as well.

To protect yoourself from spyware use Spybot Search & Destry and Ad-aware as one both programs picks up spyware that the other mightn't pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

Has anyone found firewall software that works with Windows 2000 Professional? i.e. one that doesn't cause the system to hang or do other unpredictable and unwelcome things?

Floater

Advertisement