Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beacon Motor Group

Options
  • 04-03-2011 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Anyone got any experience dealing with them? They are in sandyford.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

OSI wrote: »
    The experience seems to have destroyed their ability to construct English!!

Must have been some experience! :eek:
    Too much tagine can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mackrel

Thanks for that interesting report. Anyone else got anything to add? They seem to get a few mixed reviews but also seem to have some nice cars in most of the time. Anyone recommend a good dealer in or around the same sth side area?

Thanks a mill.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/C-Class/C-180-AV/201110201514048/advert?channel=CARS What bout this car or dealer? How do people feel about the passat by the way?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8 123john123

<snip>

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to write the post. They seem to bit getting mixed reviews so I might give them a miss. I'm only spending about 5000 which is not a huge amount but it is to me. I don't want to get stung. Was in Lewis motors in cabinteely today. They seem nice any dealings with them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 123john123

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Sorry to resuurect but I though I'd add.

I've noticed on donedeal that they're selling cars on a private sale basis (probably to avoid warranty)

You'll see some cars on donedeal saying call Michael on 0872288766. (to be fair - most of the adds say that - perhaps I just picked a bogie)
    I noticed it again today and a google lookup shows lots of references to BMG.
    I actually called a few months ago about a motor and asked was this Beacon and 'Mick' said 'yes, but I'm selling that car privately for a friend'.

Michael must have a lot of friends.

edit: After searching donedeal, they don't seem to advertise the fact that a lot of their vehicles are BMG at all. You can see the logo in plain view in the shots though. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mackrel wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to write the post. They seem to bit getting mixed reviews so I might give them a miss. I'm only spending about 5000 which is not a huge amount but it is to me. I don't want to get stung. Was in Lewis motors in cabinteely today. They seem nice any dealings with them?

Thanks
    Best advice IMO is to focus on finding the right car, rather than the dealership. At €5000 I think it'd be a lot safer to buy privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

Re Beacon, or others, selling "friends" cars. Sometimes it's to do with warranty. More often it's to avoid VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

oregano wrote: »
    Re Beacon, or others, selling "friends" cars. Sometimes it's to do with warranty. More often it's to avoid VAT.

There are no VAT issues with secondhand cars, it's all about avoiding having to provide a warranty, I've seen previous posts on this place selling 'for a friend of the boss'.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

There are indeed VAT issues with second hand cars, and have been ever since I started selling cars in 1995. If I buy a car for 600 and sell for 700, I pay 21 Euro to the government as VAT. When you make profit, as a business, you pay VAT.

If, on the other hand, I pretend the car is my friend's, sell it for 700, "give" my friend 600, then there is no VAT.

It stuns me that so many intelligent people tell me repeatedly that there is no VAT on used cars. Are cars considered the same as bread and children's shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jamkelly

I bought a car 06 carolla 5,995 from them and traded in my laguna. He offered to sell the carolla for 5,000 with my own, fair deal. Got the usual jargon from them when I asked for best price without trade in and they wouldnt budge on price (scabs). I told them the back left and front right shocks or bushings were gone. One of them only test drove my car for about 2 mins, didnt check under bonnet or anything, then they tried to take back 200 euro from the deal. I said i would sleep on it, but got brought back in to office and shuck on original deal.

So a few days later I rang them as I never got manuals or service history docs that said would come with car on website, and that the boot would not open with key.
    He said oh I was about to ring you, that was some heap of **** you sold us and mentioned that supensions arms were not lined up, pumps not working , no heating and the exhaust was hanging of with jubliee clips etc. And they were going to have to put at least 1,00 euro into it and would i be able to contribute to the cost of getting it fixed. The cheek of them asking me that. I said im no mechanic i told you what i thought was wrong and you only test drove car for a min and didnt check it properly thats not my fault.
    I was basically told then i wont get manuals etc. I will never use this motor group again there not even a member of SIMI

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

The cheeky monkeys are trying to put you off looking for that's service history and sorting the boot out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jamkelly

Forgot to mention when i said I might wait till next year as there was only 3weeks till new year and prices will come down he replied with the VAT increase and with dealers not doing well the prices will stay the same if not go up. So I copied a few pages of cars they had up on web site last year and compared them to this year and the prices are all the same.
    Other car dealers I went to have reduced there prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

oregano wrote: »
    There are indeed VAT issues with second hand cars, and have been ever since I started selling cars in 1995. If I buy a car for 600 and sell for 700, I pay 21 Euro to the government as VAT. When you make profit, as a business, you pay VAT.

If, on the other hand, I pretend the car is my friend's, sell it for 700, "give" my friend 600, then there is no VAT.

It stuns me that so many intelligent people tell me repeatedly that there is no VAT on used cars. Are cars considered the same as bread and children's shoes?

I think the confusion arises from the fact that your typical sole trader will generally only be able to claim vat on a commercial vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Two mentions of SIMI in your first three posts? SIMI are of no benefit to most customers, they're a lobby group for the dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Ellababy6 wrote: »
    Just telling another factual story about this garage... I am sure there are people out there who have something positive to say... Somewhere out there! Just seems funny that with all the garages in Dublin this one keeps on popping up as a problem. Shame these places aren't regularised (unless your simi). Would filter out the cowboys

Places that are SIMI registered aren't regulated either

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

i was going to buy a lovely white 2009 skoda octavia 1.9tdi of these guys a few months ago, i took it for a test drive and all was good except i noticed a warning light on the dash which i later asked him about, he told me it wasn't like that before i drove it and i must have caused the problem. i was told it was due a service and any faults would be repaired. i found out it was a former lease car and was told who the company was (leaseplan) but when i contacted the company and gave them the reg of the car to look for a service record i was told that they never had the car, odd i thought. i rang them back to query the matter but it had already been sold. from what other posters say i got off lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

regardless of simi or non simi garages i think you have to do a bit of background checks and a mechanic to look over a car if you don't know much about cars yourself. then its down to look not all small non simi garages are cowboys and not all simi garages sell perfect cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just telling another factual story about this garage... I am sure there are people out there who have something positive to say... Somewhere out there! Just seems funny that with all the garages in Dublin this one keeps on popping up as a problem. Shame these places aren't regularised (unless your simi). Would filter out the cowboys

My current car is from them. It had a perfect verifiable service history and mechanically it is perfect. You can buy a lemon from any garage and any garage can pick up a lemon in a trade in.

In the end, buying something works both ways and there should be a responsibility on the purchaser to ensure the car is in working order as well as the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I bought a car from them and it was not in best shape. I guess price is just too attractive there to be true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I bought a car (yes a Skoda Roomster, no laughing at the back) from them a couple of years ago. Was pleased with the price, haven't had a minute's trouble with it. Always found them a pleasure to deal with.

Kind of surprised at some of the posts here - ignoring of course those who registered just to bad mouth them. It's like you're speaking of a different company.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My father and a friend both bought vehicles from Beacon, and Audi and a BMW. Both very satisfied with them, and the service was great.

No issues buying of Beacon at all and i have zero connection to the garage. In fact im very surprised at the posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

Bought a car from these guys in June 2010. It was a former lease car with full service history. Got a decent price for my own as well. No major problems whatsoever. Reason I came across this thread is that I am looking to change in next few months and when I googled their name this was one of the first search results.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

They did the same to my friend... anything to stop the lights flashing on the dash

Whos your friend MCDS1000

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lboraz

<Please do not sign up to discredit a business thanks>

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alancl

Purchased car in Beacon Motors last week.

Pleasure to deal with, competitive prices and car I purchased was in good condition.

I was very happy with them and would recommend them to anyone.

Straight talking good selection of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

alancl wrote: »

Pleasure to deal with, competitive prices and car I purchased was in good condition.

Nice first post! :)

Welcome to boards.ie ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

alancl wrote: »

mmb9qajq9swpi8xxy76a.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement