Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which consultant at Holles Street?

Options
  • 24-07-2014 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I've decided to go private in Holles Street and need to choose a consultant. My GP recommended the below names so I'm trying to do some research and would appreciate any feedback on these or any others. I'm the type of person who over analyses everything, goes into research overdrive and will always have a list of questions so I need someone who is going to give me face time!! This is my first.

Cathy Allen; Shane Higgins; Rhona O'Mahony; Fionnuala McAuliffe

thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I will pm you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

lazygal wrote: »
    I will pm you.

I've had fionnuala and rhona . Will pm u later when I get a few min.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

If you need someone to give you face time, then I'd HIGHLY recommend going through the Domino scheme if you are eligible.

I am currently in Semi-p care in Holles St on my second, after going through Domino on my first. There is no comparison in the quality of care that I got with Domino. My first appointment with the midwives was a relaxed half hour with loads of opportunity to chat and have my questions answered. In contrast, I had to wait 2 hours to see my Holles St consultant for a mere 5 minute appointment where I was rushed in and out at warp-speed. Zero time for any discussion really.

It's killing me that I'm paying 900 euro for this service when Domino was completely free. And they have the benefit of the early release scheme too if that's something you're interested in. IMHO there is no need for consultant led care if you are a low-risk patient (which are the only ones that Domino take on - if any issues arise, you go straight back under hospital care)

Anyway best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Private is very different to semi private. I had loads of time to talk to my consultant at every appointment and never waited too long apart from once when the consultant was attending to an emergency.

Yep I would second that lazygal. The domino is an exceptional service, however semi private is very different to private. It would b rare having a 2 hr wait in private.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Although I have very comprehensive medical insurance, I went public in Holles St, and never waited more than 20 minutes. I saw the consultant (Dr Michael Foley) at maybe 80% of my antenatal visits. I got a scan at every single visit.

I guess it depends on the consultant!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

I'm with Laoise O Brien (not on your list I know...) She did my section in MC last time and did a great job. She always has as much time for me as I ned and I love my appointments. So does DH interestingly- not easily impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Heffc

I'd like to make a decision on this asap but god, I am confused now. I've also been recommended Declan Keane and Stephen Carroll on another forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I am with Declan Keane. I am public so I NEVER see him at any of my appointments, in fact I've never seen the same doctor twice which is frustrating.
    But what I can say is that Dr Keane is a lovely man and if I could afford private care I would definitely go privately with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Heffc

thanks for that feedback Isolt. For various reason (timings etc) I've it narrowed down to Declan Keane or Shane Higgins. Have you come across Shane Higgins at all at your apts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    If you need someone to give you face time, then I'd HIGHLY recommend going through the Domino scheme if you are eligible.

I am currently in Semi-p care in Holles St on my second, after going through Domino on my first. There is no comparison in the quality of care that I got with Domino. My first appointment with the midwives was a relaxed half hour with loads of opportunity to chat and have my questions answered. In contrast, I had to wait 2 hours to see my Holles St consultant for a mere 5 minute appointment where I was rushed in and out at warp-speed. Zero time for any discussion really.

It's killing me that I'm paying 900 euro for this service when Domino was completely free. And they have the benefit of the early release scheme too if that's something you're interested in. IMHO there is no need for consultant led care if you are a low-risk patient (which are the only ones that Domino take on - if any issues arise, you go straight back under hospital care)

Anyway best of luck.

Mrswhippy were you not eligible this time around? I am defo doing domino again (all going well and fingers crossed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Heffc wrote: »
    thanks for that feedback Isolt. For various reason (timings etc) I've it narrowed down to Declan Keane or Shane Higgins. Have you come across Shane Higgins at all at your apts?

My consultant had a couple of days off after my baby was born and asked Shane Higgins to look in on me - he seems to be really lovely man. I recovered well so he didn't have to treat me but I have heard good things about him.

My consultant had a couple of days off after my baby was born and asked Shane Higgins to look in on me - he seems to be really lovely man. I recovered well so he didn't have to treat me but I have heard good things about him.

Same happened when I had mastitis MC... Shane was relieving my consultant. I found him just lovely. My Gp speaks highly of him aswell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was with Keane on my 1st and found him good.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Millem wrote: »
    Mrswhippy were you not eligible this time around? I am defo doing domino again (all going well and fingers crossed!)

No unfortunately. My daughter was breech so I had to have a section - as a result I'm no longer considered 'low-risk', GAH :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    No unfortunately. My daughter was breech so I had to have a section - as a result I'm no longer considered 'low-risk', GAH :(:(:(

:( the domino ladies are all fab :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aoifepia

I would second Laoise O'Brien, we had her on our first and are back again on our second, she's fantastic, young, very calm and reassuring. Never rushes and answers any questions you have. Visited patients even on her day off. WE had some difficulties with our first and I had absolute faith in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marthe

Hi hope you don't mind me asking - also considering Dr O Brien and was just wondering whether you had a csection by choice and whether she was comfortable with a section (I know you get some drs who would 'push' for natural labour)? Thanks!

wicklori wrote: »
    I'm with Laoise O Brien (not on your list I know...) She did my section in MC last time and did a great job. She always has as much time for me as I ned and I love my appointments. So does DH interestingly- not easily impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

We went with Laoise O'Brien semi private. She is a very busy lady and we regularly had to wait 2 hours for 5 minute consultation. She is lovely and very matter of fact. She is young but definitely I felt very safe in her hands.
    The only issue i had was I didn't see her after week 39 in my pregnancy as she works Mondays in semi private and as it was a bank holiday on week 40 she was off. So I saw another consultant a few days later. And then had my baba a few days later. I was disappointed she didn't visit me on the ward at all. I have heard of other consultants that do (even with semi private).
    I know most of that doesn't apply to you but just wanted to say she is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marthe

Thanks so much. Any feedback is welcome. So difficult to figure out which way to go:) Congrats on your baby!

• Advertisement
Advertisement