Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good friend having a baby soon

Options
  • 20-07-2014 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

a good friend of mine is due to have a baby any day now, as a guy im clueless at what to bring with me when I visit her, flowers, chocolates etc

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mod

Moved from The Ladies Lounge. This forum should be better suited to your query OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Hi,
    Are you planning on bringing a present for your friend now or her and her baby after she gives birth?

I'd avoid chocolates tbh, she'll get way too many of those - and flowers might be a waste since if she goes into hospital, she won't get to enjoy them!

If you are a good cook, a home-cooked meal she can pop in her freezer is a fab idea for after the birth - or some good quality moisturisers or shower gels are always well received after having a baby (maybe Molton Brown or Rituals, both of which you can get in Arnotts) - failing that maybe a voucher for Mothercare or Mamas and Papas where she can kit out herself or the baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

Not sure if you are thinking of something for the baby? If so then maybe a small sized appropriate sporting outfit?? Something a bit personal to you- you'll know yourself what reflects your personality a little. I would also suggest you bring something for her though- any of the suggestions above or a voucher for beauty place? Even a congratulations lottery ticket if funds are a consideration for you. It's just nice to think of her aswell if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What does she like?

I like wine, couple of bottles of wine were very welcome gifts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Don't bring flowers, she'll have to root around for a vase to put them in. I'd suggest something like a nice hand cream for her specifically and maybe a voucher for mother care or similar for the baby so she can buy something suitable herself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Make a small hamper style thing for her and baby. Simple everyday things that will be needed....nappies, sudocream, bepanten cream, hand cream, face cream, a baby grow, a baby towel.

As soon as a woman becomes a mother, I've found that they become way more practical. She will be delighted to find your hamper as soon as she runs out of nappies for the first time.

Flowers tend to get in the way, and require multiple trips to the ward on departure. Depending on the hospital, this is not feasible if there is no parking near the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Make a small hamper style thing for her and baby. Simple everyday things that will be needed....nappies, sudocream, bepanten cream, hand cream, face cream, a baby grow, a baby towel.

As soon as a woman becomes a mother, I've found that they become way more practical. She will be delighted to find your hamper as soon as she runs out of nappies for the first time.

Flowers tend to get in the way, and require multiple trips to the ward on departure. Depending on the hospital, this is not feasible if there is no parking near the entrance.

From experience I wouldn't buy baby stuff. We used cloth nappies and wipes and ended up with loads of stuff we never used that people gave us as 'useful' gifts. I threw out loads of bottles and jars. I really appreciated vouchers so I could buy more babygros or clothes as they got older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

+1 on avoiding the hamper, I got THREE! And they were all full of Johnson's baby stuff which I wouldn't dream of using on the baby. I would also avoid getting scented body or hand cream, since I had my baby, I have avoided scented creams and perfume as I am breast feeding and would worry the baby would have a reaction to it. Plus I don't want her lovely baby smell to be covered by perfume! She will get a lot of baby clothes and you have to be careful that you're buying the appropriate season for the size, for example no point in buying a summer dress for six months when it will be middle of winter.

I think vouchers go a long way, a voucher for somewhere like Boots, Debenhams, Next etc means she could treat herself or buy something for the baby. Even better is a one 4 all voucher that can be used practically anywhere.

Well done on being so thoughtful and really thinking about what to get, without sounding ungrateful, I got a lot of stuff that I won't use in a hundred years and when you have a small house, storage becomes an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

And another +1 on avoiding that sort of hamper! We received some nappies and wipes etc and Johnsons products as gifts ... I gave away the Johnsons products, the nappies and wipes - we use basically just to use them up - but they're not the brand we like, and they're not ones we'd buy ourselves.

I did receive one really good hamper from where I work. It contained a few M&S ready-made meals, a bottle of wine, a bottle of Calpol, a cute little teddy. I remember my manager (who put it together) telling me when I was pregnant to make sure I had a bottle of Calpol in the press for that first 3am soaring temperature. Well, when it first happened, I was so happy to have it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

I did receive one really good hamper from where I work. It contained a few M&S ready-made meals, a bottle of wine, a bottle of Calpol, a cute little teddy. I remember my manager (who put it together) telling me when I was pregnant to make sure I had a bottle of Calpol in the press for that first 3am soaring temperature. Well, when it first happened, I was so happy to have it there!

That sounds like an amazing hamper!! Full of stuff I'd love/ be very grateful for too. I got a good few things in hampers that I know I won't use, the thought is lovely but it's such a personal thing regarding what products you'd use on your baby. An M&S ready meal however, I'd never say no to...especially their mac n'cheese :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Going with a bottle of wine, box of chocolates and a 50 euro voucher for mother care in a card. Thanks for your help folks

Advertisement