Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain scuba diving to me??!

Options
  • 24-06-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Basically I am going to Kao Tao for about ten days.

I'd like to do a scuba diving course - I don't know anything about it but I am keen to give it a go and maybe have a new hobby. I am confused with all the courses, terminology (what does PADI mean??!).

I can swim and that is about it.

I am looking at booking an open water course which takes 4 days? Am I on the right track with this? Is this for beginners?

Any other thing I need to be aware of?

I'd appreciate any advice you can provide :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Just quickly, because I'm at work:

PADI is the Professional Association of Diving Instructors. It is a qualification that is recognised worldwide. There are others.

PADI's Open Water Diver is the course you want to do - you could opt for the shorter Scuba Diver, but it would leave you quite rescticted in what you were qualified to do afterwards. OWD qualifies you as an 'autonomous' diver, able to make your own decisions, but SD only qualifies you to dive with a professional to guide you.

Whichever you chose, I hope you love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Just quickly, because I'm at work:

PADI is the Professional Association of Diving Instructors. It is a qualification that is recognised worldwide. There are others.

PADI's Open Water Diver is the course you want to do - you could opt for the shorter Scuba Diver, but it would leave you quite rescticted in what you were qualified to do afterwards. OWD qualifies you as an 'autonomous' diver, able to make your own decisions, but SD only qualifies you to dive with a professional to guide you.

Whichever you chose, I hope you love it.

Cheers - I think I will go with 4 day OWD so.

I know you are at work but might answer the below questions later in the day when you get a chance please :)

Anything else I need to know? I presume I can just book course and turn up? I know these are stupid question's but I am a bit nervous about the whole thing! Hoping I enjoy it and it goes well really I suppose - I'd like to have a new hobby maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mmouse

Hi OP. Myself and the missus did our Open Water PADI course in Kao Tao. This is going back a few years but we only had to book and turn up. A medical questionnaire was required prior to starting the course but luckily for us this was a formality. You might want to check with a GP if you have any existing health conditions that could affect your participation.. breathing difficulties, ear problems etc. Otherwise you should be good to go. You will need to be comfortable in the water. i.e. can tread water (or what I found to be easier, float) for 10 minutes and swim 200 meters.

The only problem you might have is that it will be hard to beat the diving in Kao Tao. It was magical. I'm kinda jealous of you heading over. Enjoy.

mmouse wrote: »
    Hi OP. Myself and the missus did our Open Water PADI course in Kao Tao. This is going back a few years but we only had to book and turn up. A medical questionnaire was required prior to starting the course but luckily for us this was a formality. You might want to check with a GP if you have any existing health conditions that could affect your participation.. breathing difficulties, ear problems etc. Otherwise you should be good to go. You will need to be comfortable in the water. i.e. can tread water (or what I found to be easier, float) for 10 minutes and swim 200 meters.

The only problem you might have is that it will be hard to beat the diving in Kao Tao. It was magical. I'm kinda jealous of you heading over. Enjoy.

I was in Kao Tao a few years back actually but I never got around to engaging with scuba diving - I was only interested in boosing then :)

Bit older now and want to down something with my holiday so to speak!

I'm grand on the health side of things - ears are a bit sensitive but should be grand I'd say!

I can't believe how nervous I am - I suppose tie easy when you are younger top try new things,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

I was in Kao Tao a few years back actually but I never got around to engaging with scuba diving - I was only interested in boosing then :)

Bit older now and want to down something with my holiday so to speak!

I'm grand on the health side of things - ears are a bit sensitive but should be grand I'd say!

I can't believe how nervous I am - I suppose tie easy when you are younger top try new things,etc.

Ears may be a problem as it can become painful with pressure changes when in the water. I dived with a girl who was not able to equalise her ear pressure and the diving company refunded her. Might be something you want to mention to the diving company you decide to go with. Oh BTW the diving in Tao is phenomenal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Hi OP, I learnt to scuba dive in Kao Tao a few years ago it is a magical experience very jealous of you. My girlfriend did it with me, she was uncomfortable during the training as it was alot of time swimming and just sitting underwater, she eventually pulled out of the coarse. We eventually convinced her to do a 1 day experience scuba diving which all the providers do over there, this gives you no qualification but you do get to experience what scuba diving is like, you get thaught the basics and a instructor takes you down and looks after you.

She loved this and completed the Open Water PADI course on Kao Pi Pi.

This is an option you should look at if you arent very comfortable with the water. However the Open Water course is for beginners so you could always dive straight into that and have a great time.

cmssjone wrote: »
    Ears may be a problem as it can become painful with pressure changes when in the water. I dived with a girl who was not able to equalise her ear pressure and the diving company refunded her. Might be something you want to mention to the diving company you decide to go with. Oh BTW the diving in Tao is phenomenal!

Well my ears are quite sensitive - I did a supervised dive a few years back in Vietnam though and had no issues - I presume I am ok? I couldn't tell you much about it other than some chap was on my back the whole time.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Hi OP, I learnt to scuba dive in Kao Tao a few years ago it is a magical experience very jealous of you. My girlfriend did it with me, she was uncomfortable during the training as it was alot of time swimming and just sitting underwater, she eventually pulled out of the coarse. We eventually convinced her to do a 1 day experience scuba diving which all the providers do over there, this gives you no qualification but you do get to experience what scuba diving is like, you get thaught the basics and a instructor takes you down and looks after you.

She loved this and completed the Open Water PADI course on Kao Pi Pi.

This is an option you should look at if you arent very comfortable with the water. However the Open Water course is for beginners so you could always dive straight into that and have a great time.

No I am 100% comfortable with water, swimming in water, etc. Enjoy being in the water really. No hassle there I think!

Then no need to be nervous do the course and enjoy.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Then no need to be nervous do the course and enjoy.

I think tis just trying something new really!

• Advertisement

I was nervous aswell but ended up lovin it. I did the advanced course the week after doing the open water course couldn't get enough of it. The range of fish there is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Well my ears are quite sensitive - I did a supervised dive a few years back in Vietnam though and had no issues - I presume I am ok? I couldn't tell you much about it other than some chap was on my back the whole time.

Ah you'll be grand then. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Open Water is the way to go. But the most important thing is, if you get your license overseas don't forget that there is amazing diving in Ireland too. If you enjoy the experience dont let it be just a holiday thing.

Advertisement