Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

225/55/17 v 225/50/17

• 05-04-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi All,

Is there much of a difference in these tyre sizes? Meant to order 225/50/17 for my Yeti but ordered 225/55/17 instead. Lesson learnt, never try read the numbers off a tyre in the dark!!!

Tks
    Bob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

The Yeti's wheel arches are pretty big, so I doubt it will be an issue?

(I'm probably wrong though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hi All,

Is there much of a difference in these tyre sizes? Meant to order 225/50/17 for my Yeti but ordered 225/55/17 instead. Lesson learnt, never try read the numbers off a tyre in the dark!!!

Tks
    Bob

Tyre diameter will increase by 22mm.
    Your speedometer will show 3.3% lower value than it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Plenty of space in the wheel arches, so in theory shouldn't be a major problem.

Tks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I'm about to do similar for my Celica and from what I've read the difference is minimal for a change from 50 to 55 ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Mine is supposed to run on 225/50/17 but I always get 45's coz they're cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

pred racer wrote: »
    Mine is supposed to run on 225/50/17 but I always get 45's coz they're cheaper.
    The tyres might be cheaper but if Cinio's post above is correct, you will use more fuel on 45s than on 50s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Lissavane wrote: »
    The tyres might be cheaper but if Cinio's post above is correct, you will use more fuel on 45s than on 50s.
    Seriously? Have 225 45 18 on my own yoke and not too happy with mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I don't think bit lower tyres would make any difference to fuel consumption.
    Fact that engine would be running on higher revs to reach the same speed (compared to higher profile tyres) doesn't mean the fuel consumption will increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I doubt my tyre size has as much effect as my right foot;)

Car was running on 45s when I got it, I didn't find out for ages they were the wrong size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I changed from 225/45/17 to 215/55/16. Sweet as a nut. The deeper tyre wall is much better. Smoother and better mpg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement