Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Van outside Arklow

Options
  • 04-04-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Good night all, Never noticed a speeding van till I was going by at about 120km/h in a 100 km/h on the N11 just outside Arklow this evening. I was driving the girlfriend's car at the time. I'm just inquisitive to know would I have any chance of getting away with it and how much over were any of ye when ye received the notice?

cheers people!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Be afraid. Be very afraid

highhorse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Neeeeigh chance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Were you approaching the front or rear of the van?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Next time try SQL injection:
    18mpenleoksq8jpg.jpg?w=580&h=435

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

dgt wrote: »
    Were you approaching the front or rear of the van?

Unfortunately the rear. Probably no chance of avoiding the ticket. How do I admit I was driving when its the girlfriend's car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Miseryguts wrote: »
    Unfortunately the rear. Probably no chance of avoiding the ticket. How do I admit I was driving when its the girlfriend's car?

2 more things
    • Did it flash
    • Are you insured to drive her car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bop1977

Miseryguts wrote: »

There is a section on the ticket asking who was driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

it'd like shooting fish in a barrel there. the motorway switches from 120 to 100km/h then 500 or so meters in there's a speed camera to catch anyone not quick enough on the brakes.

if it makes you feel any better i've cruised past it doing perhaps 110 ish before and never hear a thing. *touch wood.

in answer to your question, when your girlfriend gets the form, you just fill in your license details and that's the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

110 on the speedo probably isn't in excess of the limit. 120 definitely is.

Shooting fish in a barrel? Are there no signs?

Ray of hope....glimmer really...operator may have been setting up, not paying attention or reading the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

First.. you will most likely get a ticket. As others have said... fish in a barrel at that spot.

Second... are you sure it wasn't your GF's Iranian cousin driving the car? Or maybe it was her Indian uncle? Because if it was, just provide the Iranian cousin's/ Indian uncle's details and address in Iran/India. Would almost be a lot of hassle to track down these relations and maybe, they won't even hear about it at all.......:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

Cheers folks, fairly sure I'm insured correctly. Didn't see a flash at time of passing. Traffic was busy at the time with coming from work so a nice little revenue earner for them alright. They probably process a number of tickets for the highest speeds recorded for the evening right...???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

dgt wrote: »
    2 more things
    • Did it flash

Few speed camera vans (Almost none), and all of GoSafe, do not flash visibly to the human eye. Also front or rear approach does not matter as long as there is a clear view of either lane (Assuming a standard two lane road) In this case on the N11, i.e. Dual carriage way with a median, I'd imagine the rear of the van was facing the opposite direction that they were travelling in. Therefore it can only detect those travelling in the OP's direction (Not cars on the other side of the median)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Oddly I have had gosafe vans flash as I approach them. Two blue flashes in quick succession high up on left hand corner (it was dark).

If they don't flash, then I can only assume it's a reflection of my lights when the lens opens.

(definitely a gosafe van to save anyone posting that it was a Garda Van

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

corktina wrote: »
    Oddly I have had gosafe vans flash as I approach them. Two blue flashes in quick succession high up on left hand corner (it was dark).

If they don't flash, then I can only assume it's a reflection of my lights when the lens opens.

(definitely a gosafe van to save anyone posting that it was a Garda Van

Top left would be correct for the IR flash. And I remember someone posting about it, the technical reason, but yes, it can appear blue to some people. Seems more obvious to human eyes at dusk / night / dawn. But as a rule of thumb, I tell people they don't flash as people assume if they see nothing they are not caught. From my experience and reviewing the DVR footage, it would appear every single car is flashed anyway. Those speeding are merely stored and those not deleted.

Advertisement