Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat Warning Light

Options
  • 04-04-2014 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Sitting in heavy traffic yesterday and the engine warning light came on. Parked and went to work - warning light didn't come on when I was going home.

Came back on again today so I rang the garage and booked it in for Monday to be checked.

Was running low on diesel this evening so I stopped and filled up. When I jumped back in and switched the engine back on the warning light had disappeared again!

Any idea whether this might be something trivial or more serious??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's a petrol car, stop putting diesel in it.

There's a good chance this isn't the problem, but it's as likely as any other answer you will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Quazzie wrote: »
    It's a petrol car, stop putting diesel in it.

There's a good chance this isn't the problem, but it's as likely as any other answer you will get.

Fair enoigh. I was wondering whether the stop/start and engine cutting out every couple of mins in rush hour traffic have anything to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You never mentioned the engine cutting out in the OP. It seems like an intermittent fault. These usually go away when the car turns off and the fault has gone away.

Quazzie wrote: »
    You never mentioned the engine cutting out in the OP. It seems like an intermittent fault. These usually go away when the car turns off and the fault has gone away.

Not cutting out as in there was an issue with it. I mean the way it automatically cuts out when you come to a stop and go into neutral. It comes back on again when ya depress the clutch

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

Replace the MAF (MASS AIR FLOW) sensor, that should solve the problem.- very easy to replace. You might have to get the light switched off using diagnostics scanner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

JohnDx wrote: »
    Replace the MAF (MASS AIR FLOW) sensor, that should solve the problem.- very easy to replace. You might have to get the light switched off using diagnostics scanner.

Don't do this until you know that's the actual problem, if you are just going to start replacing random parts hoping it fixes your problem it will get very expensive very quickly.

First port of call is to get the car scanned and see what actual fault codes are stored in the ECU.

Where are you based OP ?

tossy wrote: »
    Don't do this until you know that's the actual problem, if you are just going to start replacing random parts hoping it fixes your problem it will get very expensive very quickly.

First port of call is to get the car scanned and see what actual fault codes are stored in the ECU.

Where are you based OP ?

Dublin. I'm getting it checked first thing monday morning. It's still under warranty so I'll let the dealer sort it.

I was just curious as to what it could be.

Advertisement